Didn't Know that Orson Scott Card Was a Homophobic Douche.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AP_piano295, May 4, 2012.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

http://greensboro.rhinotimes.com/hc.e.211703.lasso

I'm sure he has tons of gay friends.

I always find it surprising that anti gay activists have so many gay friends, I'm a liberal college student and I wouldn't really say I have any gay friends.

I have several friendly gay aquatints, but I probably wouldn't be inclined to call them up and invite them to lunch. When it comes down to it there are just less gay people than strait people, your odds of being friends with one or more is therefore lower.

This is why I'm always surprised by all the homophobic people out there who always have tons of gay friends.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

WTF is he talking about? That has to be one of the most delusional, convoluted things I've ever read. I don't even know where to start tearing that thing up. It's so twisted.

3. hafr macrumors 68030

So in short: being gay/straight is a choice, there is nothing wrong with being gay but legalizing gay marriage will turn kids gay and kill off future generations. And he claims there are scientific proof to this.

He doesn't seem to be homophobic, just really, really stupid.

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

"Heterosexual pair-bonding has been at the heart of human evolution from the time we divided off from the chimps."

I have to agree with him here, unfortunately an increasing number of our population is attempting to devolve back to the chimp level, and I'm afraid its not "the gays".

Human reproduction is not in danger, if it is I am sure we can convince the gays to give up their sperm so that the women can be impregnated.

5. Andeavor macrumors 6502

6. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't know I'm kind of concerned that the gay people might reproduce all by themselves.

It could really mess up the evolution of the species.

----------

Most well known for Ender's Game, he's a prolific Sci-Fi writer, Ender's Game was (IMO) pretty good. It's the only thing I've read of his that I thought was decent.

7. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I know a few gay people, but I can't really say that any of them are friends. I guess we don't have enough in common to be close friends.

The thing is, I think of them primarily as who they are, then I remember that they are gay. I guess that's the difference.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I read Speaker for the Dead (the sequel) first and thought it was very well done. He is imaginative and skilled as a writer. However, he is also a devout Mormon, which might explain his similarity to a "feminine hygiene" device as far as the gay thing goes.

9. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

According to Wikipedia, Card is a graduate of BYU, a member of the LDS, and a board member for the National Organization for Marriage....

If it looks like a duck....

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Needless to say, I won't be reading his books.

11. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I think when these people say they have gay friends what they mean is they know some gay people casually, but certainly not well enough to have had any deep discussions with.

I mean, let's say I'm a publicist or editor working for his publisher and have to deal with him. My job requires me to be friendly to him, perhaps even take him to dinner sometimes. I'm not happy about it, by any means, but it's my job. I'm not going to bring up any gay issues and if he does, I'm probably going to nod and make non-committal noises that he'd interpret as agreement.

Then I'd go home and stick pins in a Voodoo doll I'd made of him.

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You know, not to be crude, but looking at his portrait on his own site, Card seems to cultivate a rather gay look:
    [​IMG]

I wonder if he could be experiencing pangs of self-loathing?

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Please, keep him on your side of the fence.

14. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I just looked at the linked column. I got only as far as this line:
    "There are no laws left standing that discriminate against gay couples. They can visit each other in the hospital. They can benefit from each other's insurance."​

Huh?

15. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

I didn't find Speaker for the Dead particularly great, although it has some interesting parts (the xenobiology/symbiosis aspects).
    On the other hand, Ender's Game is very good. Both the book and the short story.

it's actually very weird that someone who writes about intrinsic rights of other species and celebrates their diversity can be a homophobic

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"Mork calling Orson, come in Orson!!"

Attached Files:

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

He's a homophobic douche. Doesn't anyone read the OPs anymore. :D

18. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    He is a well known bible basher this guy. Made waves a while ago with some cuckoo drivel about homosexuals being linked to some psychological sexual deviant condition.

Wouldn't let him ruffle your feathers.

19. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

That's a shame. Ender's Game is one of best sci-fi books I've ever read, even named my dog Ender. I actually think he's in the closet. But I'm not going ignore a fascinating piece of fiction because of the guy's beliefs.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

If you look at the comments section for that article, it looks like he's more well-known for being an author. There are three pages of comments from disappointed people condemning his article.

21. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I always thought he was the guy who sat next to Kitty Carlyle on To Tell the Truth....

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You're old. :D

23. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I remember Kitty, Bennett and Dorothy, with John Charles Daly as the M/C.

But that was on What's My Line????

Do I qualify??

24. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Mind your manners, ya little whipper-snapper!

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

No, he just lives with someone who watches one of those cable channels that run the classic b&w gameshows at midnight.