Didn't last more than 5 minutes out of the box...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lunarium3, Apr 21, 2015.

1. lunarium3 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Ordered a Macbook Pro Retina 13 inch and it came in the mail today.
    I turned it on and it froze on me three times during Set Up.

It froze during account name and time zone. And for the finale, it froze during diagnosis/usage step up and the mouse pulled a Criss Angel and completely disappeared from the screen.

They're coming to pick it up on Thursday (I live in Korea), analyze the product, then send me replacement by May 1st.

Did anyone else have this issue? I've read online that sometimes the mouse will disappear from the screen but Apple has yet to address this issue...

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The 13" rMBP I just picked up from the Apple Store works just fine. It took longer than I expected to enable FileVault, but I've read that is typical.

3. corvustheraven macrumors newbie

corvustheraven

Wow, that definitely doesn't sound like Apple. Probably a faulty RAM issue. Hope the new one works better!

4. BriOS2 macrumors newbie

OP you need to do a PRAM and SMC reset before you do anything else or let them take it. My new 13" 2015 rMBP was doing similar weirdness out of the box. I reset both PRAM and SMC, and reloaded it from scratch. It was and still is running perfect since then. Im sure that will get you fixed and running.

5. calaverasgrande macrumors 65816

calaverasgrande

I buy a couple dozen macbook pros and HP and Dell laptops every year.
    I see one or two mac problems every now and then. Never anything as bad as what you describe. (impact damage?)
    The HP and certainly the Dells have a far worse track record.
    All computers will have lemons from time to time. Human error and all that. But the latest Dell laptops are really abysmal. I've had 4 go bad in the last 8 months. Compared to 4 Macs in the last 4 years?

6. Jack426 macrumors regular

Jack426

I just got a mid-2014 Macbook Pro 15" yesterday, and it got stuck on the Firevault Setup. It was stuck there for about 30 minutes, until I contacted Apple Support, and the guy told me to turn the Mac off and back on, which allowed me to continue the setup process. Afterwards, I realized that it was normal for Firevault to take upwards of 40 minutes to setup... oh, well. I wish it would warn you of this before you click continue...

7. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Return it ASAP and get a new one!!! :mad:

8. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Oh yeah, run around, scream and shout....or reset it as described :rolleyes:

9. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

FileVault encrypts the whole drive. Its kine of like copying a really big file to your computer. The bigger the drive the longer it takes. Mine took over an hour. My friend has an older model without the SSD and he said it took 6 hours.

For me the setup would always crash when setting the user account icon. But if I change it afterwards it is fine.

10. vanimal macrumors 6502a

Mine got hung up for a few minutes when i was inserting computer name etc. With a spinning beach ball. I just let it go and it finished about 10 mins later. And haven't had a problem since! Just picked up a 2015 today from Best Buy.

11. chabig macrumors 68040

It's normal for the cursor to disappear while you're typing.