Didn't pre-order through ATT or apple, any chance of getting a phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by carve, Jun 13, 2009.

1. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

Hey all, I didn't preorder my iPhone through ATT or Apple's site, but if I showed up at the apple store around 6 am do you think there is a chance of getting an iPhone?

Thanks

2. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

depends on your location and I would not chance it at 6am i would get there earlier

3. capitanbuzo macrumors 65816

I would just pre-order one and wait til they get in stock. I'd doubt you could get one if you start waiting at 6am.

4. shrimpdesign macrumors 6502a

shrimpdesign

Go on Apple's site and reserve one for the launch day. If you go without reserving or pre-ordering, there's a chance you won't get one.

5. carve thread starter macrumors 6502a

carve

Ok...will do. Does anyone know when stores are getting the next shipment of them?

6. Shaan macrumors member

My local Apple Store is in a mall and if I had to give it a 1-10 scale on traffic I would say around a 6.

I have talked extensively with them and with the mall management and the mall will open it's doors at 6am for a line to begin forming outside the Apple store for the 8am release. They did, however, say that during previous releases they have done this as well and a line has formed outside the mall before 6, the line that forms outside the mall is maintained when moving to the Apple Store by security personnel.

The people at the mall and Apple Store recommended getting to the mall around 4-5am for a good chance at getting my hands on a phone since I hadn't pre-ordered.

I am not sure about your store but I hope this info helps you out.

7. carve thread starter macrumors 6502a

carve

Thanks! I can get there at any time so I will probably get there around 4

8. Dizzler macrumors regular

Here was my experience with ordering. I first tried ordering over the internet with Apple, planning to have them send me one rather than picking it up at the store. Servers were loaded and would not complete my order. Told me to go to the Apple Store in the mall. So I did. Ordered one right there in the showroom on their laptop. There was no credit check or anything like that. However, I learned then that if ordering at the Apple Store you have to show up at that store to pick it up on the date of release. I asked a "blue shirt" there about this and she said "Yes, I would have to come in to the store." I said that I wanted to have it delivered and she said for me to go home and try to order it over the internet again later in the day when their servers were less overloaded. "Then what about the one I just ordered here?" I asked. She said that they would just give it to someone else on the following day! So that's what I did.

The result is that there will be at least one phone waiting on Day 2 at the San Diego store that will not be picked up on the first day. Someone else can have that one!

9. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

Just order of apple and have it delivered. Just bought mine earlier and they still say im going to get it on june19th

10. carve thread starter macrumors 6502a

carve

oh ok. So they ate only going to have as many iPhones that were preordered? What if you are in front of a person that preordered? Do you get first dibs?

11. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

I don't know about the Apple Stores, but AT&T stores will have two lines: one for pre-orders, and one for spot purchasers, some of whom may go away empty handed.

12. outphase macrumors 65816

If you can't get one on launch, your next best bet is to keep on trying at the Apple Store. They are more likely to replenish stock faster than an AT&T store.