Didn't you know Steve Jobs monument is demolished in S. Petersburg, Russia?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by gusbemac, Nov 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gusbemac macrumors member

Hello,

After Tim Cook having announced to the whole world he's gay, the Russian deputy Vitaly Milonov announced he would intend to ban Tim Cook from Russia forever, check the news:

1) http://www.independent.co.uk/news/p...-country-after-coming-out-as-gay-9829670.html
    2) http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ry-coming-gay-bring-Aids-Ebola-gonorrhea.html

Ones day later, this same deputy announced, tweeting in Russian, not only Cook, Apple should be banned from Russia forever too. I don't know if he intends to confiscate and deprive any products of Apple from any Russians. I tried to investigate it. But Milonov tweeted, saying the Apple products, together with the gays should be burned.

Today, the monument of Steve Jobs which has been inaugurated one last year, is demolished just because Apple's CEO is gay or Apple is a "gay company" (the most of Russians think so). Check the news, unfortunately, it's in Russian, but you can translate it into English, using Google Translate:

http://nevnov.ru/city/region/iz-za-...eterburge-snesli-pamyatnik-stivu-dzhobsu.html

Not only Apple, the Russians also boycott and defend Starkburcks should be banned from Russia forever, they compared it to a paedophiles place.

I'm sure the republican Christian users of Macrumors like @dime21@, @1981d and @iPad Air will be happy and commemorate these news.

2. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

3. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Russian deputy Vitaly Milonov is playing up to the crowds in Russia, with all the anti western feelings over Ukraine, he wants to keep himself in the spotlight.

You are not the only one I think that it was Winston Churchill who said "Russia is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma":p

4. gusbemac thread starter macrumors member

Do you believe in that news of demolition of Steve Jobs monument?

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

A pretty well argued explanation, I think you may well have nailed it; this is not a message that is being sent to a western audience (and appalled reactions from that quarter simply feed into the satisfaction rating domestically); this is a play where the audience that matters is domestic and powerful, and Mr Milonov is very well aware of that.

Squawks of horror and outrage from hyper sensitive western sources will add little (but bleak satisfaction) to this debate in Russia.

However, my take on that is to ask what on earth Apple, or anybody else, thought they were doing, by sanctioning of supporting the construction of a statue of Steve Jobs in St Petersburg in this day and age?

I have written before about my distaste for the cult of adulation which surrounds the late Mr Jobs; so, from my perspective, outside Cupertino, Silicon Valley, or a museum which has yet to be built which will explore the whole history of the internet and modern information technology, I fail to see why a statue of the late Mr Jobs should be built anywhere.

Re what is considered the Russian enigma, I think the history of the country offers useful signposts when attempting to identify cultural contours and other political and social signifiers; in other words, I doubt that it is quite is bewildering as some people think - it is just that most people don't study Russian history.

I have no idea whether it is true, but Russians (and the Soviet Union before them) have had a long history of demolishing statues for political/cultural/social/revolutionary reasons…..

Sometimes revolutionaries - or those seeking change demolish statues, (1989 and 1991 gave us plenty of examples, although this form of political expression only became a feature of the communist world after Budapest in 1956); sometimes new governments demolish the statues built by older ones; sometimes older governments decide that the past needs to be changed, and so they, in turn, remove vestiges, traces, or unwelcome reminders (in the form of, say, statues) of those whose historical footprint they wish to render less visible or more muted……..

Russian (and Soviet) governments have done all of these things; making war on statues is a form of political and public protest and expression that goes back more than half a century in that world……it is nothing new whatsoever.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, I didn't know that. If true, it is yet another over-reaction by Russia, as the guy above me mentioned.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

MOD NOTE

This thread is about a PRSI topic and as the original member is not eligible to post in the appropriate forum we have closed this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.