Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
What are some real differences I will notice about using Jaguar from Panther. I've used 10.3.4 (Panther) at my school and that, but if this PB thing goes through it can only support up to 10.2.8 which is Jaguar of course. So what are the main differences I should kinda worry or get used to about? Thank you for your time reading this post.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
slooksterPSV said:
What are some real differences I will notice about using Jaguar from Panther. I've used 10.3.4 (Panther) at my school and that, but if this PB thing goes through it can only support up to 10.2.8 which is Jaguar of course. So what are the main differences I should kinda worry or get used to about? Thank you for your time reading this post.
Have you used Exposé at school (the feature which rearranges and scales all your open windows so that all are visible when activated)? Exposé can also show only the windows of the current application or hide everything so you can see the desktop. That feature isn't available in Jaguar. Also, if you wanted color labels from Mac OS 9 and earlier, only Panther has them. Here's a link to a list of features you'll find in Panther but not in Jaguar.

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Is there software out there that will let me rearrange the windows like that :( cause that is like one of my faveorite features... Or do you think my PB might support OS 10.3.x at all? Its the Bronze keyboard edition, but when I went to look at specs it says OS Supported 10.2.8 but yeah... Hmm...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
slooksterPSV said:
Is there software out there that will let me rearrange the windows like that :( cause that is like one of my faveorite features... Or do you think my PB might support OS 10.3.x at all? Its the Bronze keyboard edition, but when I went to look at specs it says OS Supported 10.2.8 but yeah... Hmm...

Does it have USB? Then it supports Panther. I have Panther running on a 233 MHz iBook... works fine.

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
I would have to say expose is the biggest difference. I really enjoy expose and it sounds like you do as well. I dont know any other alternatives though, sorry. I have heard that Panther will run on older systems though, what speed is your PB? I am not familiar with the older modles.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Exposé is nice, definitely.

Some other differences are (in no particular order):
Shadow hashing of passwords
Longer (therefore (possibly) more secure) passwords (in many UNIXes, 8 characters is the max length, anything longer is ignored, Jaguar was no different)
Postfix rather then Sendmail as default mailer.
Functional (rather then buggy) Activity Monitor.app
A more useful Console.app (for those who don't/can't read logs via Terminal.app)
Integrated X11 support.
Fast User Switching.
Auto-logout after idle time.
FileVault (though I think this tech is still in it's infancy and should be used with caution)
etc, etc, etc, ...

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
wordmunger said:
Does it have USB? Then it supports Panther. I have Panther running on a 233 MHz iBook... works fine.

Ibook was never released with a 233mhz cpu.
The first iBook was 300 hz G3.
And was released after the bronze keyboard (lombard) powerbook.

But anyway, the Lombard supports OS 10.3.x

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.