Difference in foward / rear camera

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Papajuice, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Papajuice macrumors newbie

Is there a quality difference in the foward facing vs the rear facing cameras in an ip4s? Pics with the foward facing seem to be grainy but not sure if it is just the lighting. This may be a dumb question but not really sure how the cameras are set up

2. himynameiscody macrumors 6502a

himynameiscody

yeah back one is a lower mp...not that mp matters....but yes the quality is lower

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

8-megapixel camera (rear)
    Autofocus
    Tap to focus
    Face detection in still images
    LED flash
    Video recording, HD (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio
    Video stabilization
    [Front camera] with VGA-quality photos and video at up to 30 frames per second
    Photo and video geotagging

4. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Yup, they are majorly different! Same situation on the iPhone 4. The rear camera is that nice 8MP one that they've been talking up and advertising, while the front one is a VGA quality one that's about on par with the camera in the original iPhone/iPhone 3G.

The front facing one is good for FaceTime calls, or if you want to take a picture of yourself, but not a whole lot else. Oh, and it can be rather useful as a "mirror". I've had the need to check to see if there's something on my face before and I've used the front facing camera's live preview in the Camera app to do so.

Attached Files:

5. Papajuice thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank! Wow vga...

Just esier taking pics of me and the wife...

Impressed on the quality of the rear however. Never been a mac guy but the ip4 just does what you need it to, it has been a game changer.