Different Micro Sims for Nano Cutting?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by domodazzzle, Sep 17, 2012.

1. domodazzzle macrumors member

I was thinking of cutting down my micro sim to a nano sim when my iP5 arrives on Friday morning as Orange (UK) don't have any stock of nano sims in so far and there's no word on when they will. Anyway, I ordered some free vodaphone micro sims so I could practise cutting them down before hacking away at mine but the gold contacts on the voda sim are alot smaller than on my orange sim? Was just wondering if anyone with the bigger gold connector has successfully cut theirs down yet and tested it with an adapter?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

It's ok to cut into the metal connector just don't cut into the chip in the center. If you don't feel safe cuttin it yourself then use a nano sim cutter. There are some already on eBay and other sites

3. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

ah okay, I thought that was the case :3 Are the chips the same size on across all micro sims regardless of the size of the gold contacts? Yeah I've seen those but the prices are £15+ !

4. ljmac macrumors member

You might want to hold off on the cutting, new nano sim is thinner then the micro sim so it will not fit iPhone 5

5. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

You can sandpaper it down, it's only a the width of a human hair thicker or something.

I may have to cut mine as well to use my iPhone 5 on Orange. I have a feeling come Wednesday that they will only let you place an order for a card and you'll get it God knows when, 3 weeks? We will see though.

6. braddels macrumors member

braddels

I have a T-mobile payg sim I will practice with tomorrow or Wednesday when I get a sim adapter

7. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

I cut my T-Mobile sim. The amounted you need to cut won't cut into the chip. Just be careful. Chips should be the same size in the micro and nano.

8. domodazzzle thread starter macrumors member

I spoke to someone at Orange customer services and he says that on their system it says they can't take orders for nano sims until the 21st.

9. ripkord macrumors 6502

Advice for those wanting to sand their existing sims, get a bit of blu-tak, stick it to the 'chip' side of the sim, and with your *fine grade* sandpaper on a flat surface, gently rub it like you would a pencil eraser, that way you get an even(ish!) finish. You dont have to rub much to reduce the thickness of plastic by 90um. I would recommend doing this prior to cutting the actual sim, its just easier with a larger bit of plastic!