Different Polarization Between ATT and Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eekcat, Sep 22, 2012.

1. eekcat macrumors 6502a

I have both Verizon and AT&T 64GB Black iPhone5's, and noticed this morning that the two seem to have difference polarization.

The Verizon model was difficult to view in vertical/portrait orientation with polarized sunglasses on, while the AT&T was fine in both portrait and landscape. It's not nearly as noticeable as on the ipad (practically unviewable in portrait with polarized sunglasses), but still odd that the two are different. I wonder if it's at the request of the carrier, or if there's some other reason? :confused:

2. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

I doubt it is a difference between the two carriers. It could be two different screen manufacturers or it could just be a manufacturing difference.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

Or it's just a difference between one screen and another that's completely random. There are two or three suppliers of the display.

4. sargein macrumors member

I have noticed this too. I currently have one of both AT&T and Verizon 64gb, and the AT&T is just fine with polarized sunglasses, but the Verizon one takes on a green tinge in portrait mode. Tilting the phone 45 degrees makes it ok, but I don't want to be doing that every time I use the phone with my sunglasses on.

Does anyone with a Verizon iphone NOT have this issue with polarized sunglasses?

Want to know if it is worth trying to get a replacement for this issue. This is now the only thing holding me from converting from AT&T to Verizon.

5. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

Can I ask you and the OP something - why two different carriers? Is work paying for one of them? Or do you have two just in case one doesn't get service? (You may be a businessperson/road warrior)

Just curious! :)

6. sargein macrumors member

I can't speak for the OP, but I am in the process of deciding between AT&T and Verizon, as both my current AT&T lines are out of contract and now Verizon LTE speeds are worth considering over AT&T. Have to decide either way by this weekend.

7. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I have had both, AT&T and Verizon iPhone 5. Both white, Verizon is 32GB and AT&T was 16GB. The Verizon iPhone, the one I kept, has the screen that can comfortably be viewed in portrait mode with polarized shades. When I used my AT&T iPhone, it would look deeply purple tinted in portrait mode with polarized glasses on. Opposite is true for both phones when holding in landscape view. Sent from my iPhone 5.

8. sargein macrumors member

That's good to know - thanks. I guess I will try to get a replacement for the Verizon.