Different signal strengths, 3G vs. 4LTE?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hakr100, Nov 9, 2012.

1. hakr100 macrumors 6502a

I live in an area where cell service is no better than OK, no matter which carrier you have. The population density isn't that high. We have towers, but not as many as I see in more congested parts of the metro area.

So, when I am out on the main road around here, unless I am right close to certain cell towers, I usually get a signal strength of about -113 with 4LTE. If I shut off 4LTE or if I drift out of the 4LTE range, I'm in 3G territory, and my signal strength improves to at least -91, and sometimes better.

Without killing me with technospeak, might someone explain the differences in signal strength. I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the Verizon 3G and 4LTE transmitters share the same towers in our same semi-rural area.

Thanks!

2. Hackintosh Sr. macrumors regular

3g tower is probably closer. All towers aren't LTE.

Also I believe they run on different frequencies although LTE is supposed to be able to reach further, so I am going with the above.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

At home, I get one bar of Verizon LTE. In the same location, when I make a phone call (which drops the phone back to 3G), I get four bars.

Where I live, it seems like only every other tower has LTE.