Different WIFI glitch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Megalobyte, Oct 4, 2012.

1. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Upgrading my router basically resolved my wifi issues at home. (Weak, erratic signal and speed, poor range)

But there's another glitch that I don't think is related. I also believe i'ts an iPhone issue I've seen in prior iPhones as well, not just with wifi but with cellular signal too.

Basically, with my new router, I get a full 30 Mbps on my 30 Mbps plan at home. Actually I often get a bit more, 32-33. Great. I get these speeds 80% of the time.

But, there are periods when it slows down to a still fast but not quite as fast 15-20 Mbps.

What I've discovered is, when this happens, if I turn wifi off then back on, my 30 Mbps+ speeds return. Why should that be?

I've also noticed, and not only with the 5, but the 4/4S too, the same thing happens with cellular signal strength. I often see my "4G" signal low inside my house, 1-2 bars, still works fine, but, if I put airplane mode on then off, I always get a better signal once it comes back on. Then later, it's low again, toggle the switch again, I get another bar or 2.

Why would the iPhone lose wifi speed after a while, and then a quick antenna reset gets the speeds back to my max? I recall this happening with my 4S too.

Sure seems like a software thing since obviously the software could automatically "reset" the antenna connection on its own, without me having to turn wifi off then on again.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. Megalobyte thread starter macrumors 6502a