Digging up Yassir Arafat

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Nov 27, 2012.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Experts exhume remains of Palestinian leader Arafat

This should be interesting..

2. Fazzy macrumors 6502

They should have just let him be. If it is proved that he was poisoned, what will come of it?

The cant bring justice to millions of live Palestinians, let alone a deceased one.

3. Eraserhead, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The Israelis will look bad.

4. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

But in a certain way that will make them look good.

5. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

It depends on your perspective and then they would also have to prove it was the Israelis.

6. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Why ? Im sure an enemy you know over the years and had some improvements together is better compared to what is today. The Palestinians are separated in very different blocks ... Could've been an "insider" job from own groups. Why an autopsy was not done the first time. :confused:
    Digging for him now will not bring any robust evidence for the one or other side.
    Just keep open some wounds and continue to spin the spiral of violence.

7. Eraserhead, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What way is that? Push a respected moderate out the way on the other side?

If Arafat was assassinated the most likely people to do it are Israel. They have form and motive.

It could potentially in theory be another Palestinian group, or Iran or something, but they wouldn't have an polonium, they'd have used a gunman or a suicide bomber. If that had been the case you'd both have a point.

If it was done with polonium it has to be a nuclear power and none of the others care enough.

----------

It probably was, its just that polonium poisoning is hard to detect unless you know what you are looking for - see the poisoning of Alexander Litvinenko.

8. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Maybe, but that has never deterred them in the past.

9. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

LOL, the Palestinian scum are really grasping at straws now. Pathetic. I have no compassion for them or their cause. If they got all the land they wanted they would just turn it into a slum like the rest of their territory. You really think they're capable of running their own country? Please...

Also, have any of you actually been to Israel? I haven't, but I know many people who have. They say when you go there and see how beautiful it is and look at all the amazing things the Israelis built, and then you glance over at Palestine, it's easy to see why Israel wants to keep as much land as possible.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I have, and based on what I saw there it's pretty clear that the reason why Palestine isn't in that good of shape is that Israel oppresses them. As a westerner with a tour guide you get to bypass most of the checkpoints in the west bank, but getting in there from Jordan I've never had a worse experience with border guards. The Israeli border guards were some of the rudest people I've encountered, they were clearly trying to waste people's time and telling the tourists that they should have flown through Tel Aviv. Based on the bit of talking I did with Palestinians while waiting in line, that was a very mild version of what they get everyday if they want to move around the West Bank. And of course they can't run a country if it takes them all day to get between two towns that are just a couple miles apart...

11. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Doesn't surprise me that the guards were rude. Israelis aren't the most pleasant people by a long run, judging by the ones I've met here in jersey.

12. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

13. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

That is a VERY good point...

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sorry, they found there was very high radiation count on his possessions. It is perfectly reasonable for them to do this.

15. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Bear in mind that the occupied territories aren't a country - more a big holding camp / ghetto. On your logic we should have been allowed to come and take over areas of New Orleans a few years ago when your government failed it spectacularly.

I suspect the news will have less impact than it might be expected - the palestinians are all convinced he was poisoned anyway and the Israeli's all know that while the US continues to give them the sort of blind support as shown by some in this thread - they can do do whatever they like without any fear of consequences.

Amusingly - I heard it was Russian experts who are helping with the testing - if anyone knows about Polonium as a poison - they do!

16. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Hmmmm, I was thinking about that, a large proportion, if not the largest, of immigration to Isreal is from Russia and other ex-Soviet republics. I wonder if Mossad recruits ex-KGB/FSB agents to its ranks. People who have knowledge of "Russian" methods of dealing with incovenient people. :rolleyes:

17. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Yes, I did wonder... Perhaps there's an Itsu restaurant in Ramallah?

18. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I don't disagree; Israel for sure is on the list with a certain interest. They would have the skills and tools. But on the other side these days it's easy to "outsource" those tasks for some bucks and get it done from someone. Of course that's a wild guess.

I still believe we will hear the truth afterwards.

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Personally I think that the findings of this forensic control will only be of interest to a few people.

Most people have long made up their minds, one way or the other.

20. Fazzy macrumors 6502

stupid post. I'd have expected better from you.

21. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Listen, I've tried to have compassion for the Palestinians but I just can't. They're violent people and its not in the best interest of the West for them to have their own country. Another Muslim country is the last thing this world needs. At least we know if Israel controls all of that land then we have an ally in the Middle East and the holy sites will be accessible by the world. Many of them were destroyed when European Jews started immigrating there after WW2. It was a wasteland for the taking. That's why I "blindly" support Israel. It's in the best interest of the world for them to be there.

22. jeremy h macrumors 6502

Of course, that's why that had to demolish the King David Hotel - it was to clear the wasteland for re-development.

23. Fazzy macrumors 6502

:confused:

Has your account been hacked? This is something I'd expect from the comments section of fox news.

Any more of that and you'd be saying the israelis have a god given right to slaughter their Palestinian neighbors.
    Oh, but you already said there should be no Palestine..

24. Happybunny macrumors 68000

It's all that blindly support which makes all the world's problems so difficult to solve.:(

With people blindly supporting the other side there is no room for compromise. :(

Instead of being part of the solution you become part of the problem with that blindly support.:(

25. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I guess you can call me a rogue liberal on this issue. My point is that Israel is here to stay, and it won't be shrinking. If they do manage to carve a small section out of it and make it Palestine, that's fine. But the violence won't end there, the Palestinians will want more and more. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile. They even want half of Jerusalem which is a frickin joke. I have no personal reason to blindly support Israel, I'm not a Jew and I've never even been there. Although I will admit that I'm biased against Muslims in general, but they brought it upon themselves.