OS X is not the Mac OS as we've known it... it 's UNIX... It's more like DOS than anything else.Originally posted by jaronimo
OK, anybody in here who knows facts about Protools for OS X? When will it go there? I just dont like to buy this lovely piece of creativity for 9.
For those of you looking for a firewire audio interface, please, go check out MOTU's new 896. (shameless plug) I just got mine beginning of Feb, and absolutely love it. I'm just doing analogue recordings now, so the quality isn't even as nice as it could be (I get some interferance from my @#$@# house electic line) but overall I'm very satisfied with the card. It also performs great with Cubase vst 5, Reason, and Digital Performer 3 (my main audio app).Originally posted by napdaddy
Lots of people have been waiting for the OS X version of ProTools as well as a FireWire audio interface--specifically a FireWire version of the Digi001.
The people who ran out, bought new G4s and thought all their audio apps would just automatically run under OS X were being naive. It's a radically different OS from OS 9. It's going to take some time to get the old apps running under OS X. This goes at least double if they are ProTools users. DigiDesign is always WAY behind the curve. They depend on people like me who have invested a good deal of time and money into ProTools and don't want to change. I have to boot into OS 9 to use ProTools.Originally posted by evildead
my music geek friends say that the recording industry is in a frenzy about OS X. Some people went out and gt new G4's thinking that their old (expensive) recording sorftware would work with OS X... and were very dissapointed when it didnt. My friends think that many people are moving to PC's now becaus of it... I dont think thats true... hes a windows user so he's just talking out of his DOS
I have not seen anthing about protools for OS X yet... i guess its still comming. I hear that peak has an OS X version out now.
2. You're right about DigiDesign. They refuse to announce anything until its release is painfully imminent.Originally posted by mymemory
1. OMS is the worst software in the world, is like windos 95 (half way done). Is not even the shadow of Free Midi.
2. Digidesign is not the most friendly company for asking something. I will never are going to here a rumor from them.
3. For free software go to Hotline.
4. It is completly true, no audio is gonna sound better in OSX, you would do just the same with OS9.
5. And last... what else can you add to a audio software now days? They have too many things already, most of them we do not even use. Is like Photoshop, it has everything for photography already and now is jumping to web. So, I mean the guys from MOTU and Digidesign are really doing a deep research work to see what the industry needs now, because the basics of audio editing are way over develop.
Sounds like we'll be getting Protools X by the end of the year, I'd put the odd Yipee and maybe a few woo hoos in this post about it if it wasn't totally immatureAs we've been saying for some time now, Dual processor support will come with OS X support which is coming later this year. Exactly when I can't tell you because I don't know. The OS X , and therefore Dual Processor support, is a major task (to say the least) that we have been working on for quite some time.
Bottomline, we'll be there just not exactly sure when. Maybe not the exact answer you're looking for but I hope this helps.
Digidesign Product Specialist
Great news!! But what is the DUC?Originally posted by barkmonster
Sounds like we'll be getting Protools X by the end of the year, I'd put the odd Yipee and maybe a few woo hoos in this post about it if it wasn't totally immature
I reckon by the end of the year macs will totally rule for audio, I mean at the very least we'll be able to buy 1.2Ghz+ G4s running Protools natively in OS X, what could be better than that to look forward too ?
I'm not even touching OS X or buying a new mac till at least protools is out for it, why bother when I've got an old 300Mhz beige G3 to run protools LE under OS 8.6 that's slow enough to motivate me to save for a new mac. Once I've got the cash together I'll be able to buy a brand new G4 and get an upgrade for protools so I never have to bother with the classic Mac OS again.