Digital Audio OUT Lightning to 30pin dock (IN-CAR-ENTERTAINMENT)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by MysterMac, Sep 3, 2014.

1. MysterMac, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2014

MysterMac macrumors member

I have an iPhone 5 and an audio dock which uses the old 30 pin connector and I need to get a digital audio signal from the lightning port to the dock - is that possible ?

I thought it was analog audio which didn't pass through the Apple adapters, but now I read it's digital which doesn't pass ?? The reviews Ive read in relation to the Onkyo dock is that an Apple adapter works - but there's no mention of whether the signal is digital or not.

The audio dock is an Onkyo DA-S5 which has an optical output - which is what my receiver takes. I'm aware that the dock has analog outs, and that its possible to use a USB Camera Kit to a USB Optical audio device (Turtle Beach etc) but - if its possible, I'd like to use the Onkyo as it has AirPlay and good quality RCA outs. I know AirPlay removes the need for any cables or adapters - but should that be flaky - I'd like a hardwired backup solution.

For anyone who is interested, this dock is to be used in a car (ICE), with the optical signal receiver being an Audison Bit One processor (via an SFC - sampling frequency convertor, due to the Bit One only being compatible with 44.1kHz signals).

2. MysterMac thread starter macrumors member

perhaps someone could at least accuse me of being lazy and not searching for an answer ? thats the protocol isn't it :rolleyes:

3. MysterMac thread starter macrumors member

does digital audio pass through a lightning to 30pin dock adapter ??