Digital Camera, PVR, 10.2

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
MacOSRumors updates with a sampling of rumors across the board:

Apple is working hard on a 'set-top box' that would not only include VCR-like functionality for its internal Firewire hard drive and DVD-burning SuperDrive, but would also include CD/MP3 playback and an optional set of impressive new Apple/Harmon-Kardon speakers for stellar, ground-shaking home audio performance as well.

As well, mentions of ongoing work on an Apple Digital Camera as well as OS X 10.2.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
haha

That sounds pretty dumb. Apple is not going to do anything with VCR. We all know Apple does not promote stealing or copying MP3s, so there ya have it! ;)

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: haha

Originally posted by Mac_User
That sounds pretty dumb. Apple is not going to do anything with VCR. We all know Apple does not promote stealing or copying MP3s, so there ya have it! ;)
I can't say I follow your logic... but I agree that I doubt Apple will pursue the PVR market.

arn

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
I don't feel that Apple should follow the TiVo path, but if they can do it without a subscription, then it might be worth it. (you subscribe to TiVo right?) At the very least, it would get the Apple logo into many more people's homes, and thus expand the Apple brand awareness.

The only problem is though, do people really want a set top box that could record shows and then burn them to DVD...maybe. It could be cool, but very expensive.

Do people want a wireless stereo for their living rooms so that they can play their mp3's there...probably not. It sounds like a useless piece of technology for most people, but I would love one.

On the other hand...an Apple branded digital camera with a 5 gig firewire HD in it at 4mp would kick butt! I would buy one in a second so long as it had a Carl Zeiss lens.

-Pete

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Originally posted by ptrauber
[...]The only problem is though, do people really want a set top box that could record shows and then burn them to DVD...maybe. It could be cool, but very expensive.

Do people want a wireless stereo for their living rooms so that they can play their mp3's there...probably not.[...]
I would disagree on both these points.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Re: Re: haha

Originally posted by arn

I can't say I follow your logic... but I agree that I doubt Apple will pursue the PVR market.

arn
I am saying...Apple is really into the Digital Hub thing. You know they are not going to make something that uses old technology

And...Apple disagrees with the copying/stealing idea. When you download iTunes, it tells you not to steal music. There are also reps from Apple that say the same thing.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Re: Re: Re: haha

Originally posted by Mac_User

I am saying...Apple is really into the Digital Hub thing. You know they are not going to make something that uses old technology

And...Apple disagrees with the copying/stealing idea. When you download iTunes, it tells you not to steal music. There are also reps from Apple that say the same thing.
But a Personal Video Recorder (ala http://www.tivo.com and http://www.replaytv.com ) is not old technology... it's brand spankin new...

and it's probably less prone to piracy than an MP3 player.

arn

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Re: Re: Re: Re: haha

Originally posted by arn

But a Personal Video Recorder (ala http://www.tivo.com and http://www.replaytv.com ) is not old technology... it's brand spankin new...

and it's probably less prone to piracy than an MP3 player.

arn
ahhhh! I thought we were talking about VCRs! *smacks his head on the desk*
Hmmmm...I still dont think Apple would incorporate that technology into a machine under their name. I just dont think they can be up to some sort of contraversy about copyrights and copying other peoples stuff.

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
MOSR decided to go AWOL for a few weeks so they make up a PVR story to get viewers and ad views back up. Simple as that. Steve has also said that the digital hub strategy will not be around the TV, it will be around the computer. While I disagree and think that they should be linked, this is how steve feels and how apple will go for the next two years. They may have something up their sleves for a few years when they get marketshare higher, but for now they aren't doing anything related to PVRs or VCRs or KFC.

willmore

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2002
West Lafayette, IN
Of Course They Won't

Don't you guys remember the statements Jobs made earlier? He publicly declared he wasn't entering the TV-top box market. MOSR is full of crap, and we all know it. I read it for laughs, and their Tivo-like ideas are the funniest yet. BTW, I do have TiVo, and it's probably the most helpful electronic device I've ever owned (besides by Mac, of course).

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by dricci
MOSR decided to go AWOL for a few weeks so they make up a PVR story to get viewers and ad views back up. Simple as that. Steve has also said that the digital hub strategy will not be around the TV, it will be around the computer. While I disagree and think that they should be linked, this is how steve feels and how apple will go for the next two years. They may have something up their sleves for a few years when they get marketshare higher, but for now they aren't doing anything related to PVRs or VCRs or KFC.
I'm inclined to agree here. People keep wishing for things, and they think that just b/c they wish it, it's gonna happen. People've been talking about an Apple-branded PDA for years. We got a firewire mp3 player instead.

No way Apple is coming out with a set-top box this year, not when Steve goes on the record to argue against it.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
haven't we heard something similar to this before?

I remember before the iPod was announced, the talk was of a possible set-top box sort of component that could link up to a stereo system....with hard drive, firewire, etc, etc...

to me this sounds like the same rumor the iPod was being taken for...

-ro-

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2002
Have you seen Sony's latest computer, it's pretty much the same thing. It costs about $3000. It has a radio and a slot for a memory stick. I've actually been trying to convince my friends that this is a good idea. Not a full blown computer, but a DVD burner, CD burner, MP3 player all linked by firewire. Take your digital camera and make a DVD. Burn your ipod play list. Using airport play music anywhere in your home. Backup your data from your laptop. download your digital pics. Etc... Would this actually need anything more advanced than is in the ipod? Satisfy all your digital needs basically with the high price of a computer. I think we'll have something like this in the next 5 years.

jadam

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2002
have any of you seen the Moxi digital media center, it lets you stream Divx quality movies with an 802.11b network(airport) to Pocket PC's, Palm pilots(when they start using Arms) and other PCs and TVs, the thing kicks total ass. if apple came out with one that allowed you to stream video to any pc or tv in the house, or stream music or whatever you want, wouldnt you want one??? this way you could store ur music and videos on your PVR and save space on your hard drive, plus whenever you want to, from anywhere you could watch the movie. I think its a great idea

cplmd

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2001
Louisiana
Beating the dead horse again.........

Jobs was pretty definate in an interview on not being involved with TV as in set-top boxes. I seem to recall this being after the iMac release. So I don't put much stock in Apple being in the TiVO Moxi market.

Now.... do I think that is a good idea...... NO

I think many folks want to organize more then their pictures and songs ON A COMPUTER. What I mean is I'd pay well to have a component in my home theatre/stereo system that allows me to rip CDs and make playlists from them. I know we can do it on PCs but I'd rather something I could control with a universal remote and have the seletion list/library show up on my TV rather than a PC screen in another room or worse yet a CD juke box with album titles only on a puny dot matrix screen. Adding TiVo like abilites would make it killer with an Ethernet connection for guide updates. Of course, this would also trigger more lawsuits than Apple wants - but then again after the Grammy speech, maybe Jobs wouldn't mind taking them on.

It's frustrating - we finally have all the information in digital form but can only take advantage of 10%, if that, of the digital form.

cplmd

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2001
Louisiana
Originally posted by -ro-
Have you seen Sony's latest computer, it's pretty much the same thing. It costs about $3000. It has a radio and a slot for a memory stick. I've actually been trying to convince my friends that this is a good idea. Not a full blown computer, but a DVD burner, CD burner, MP3 player all linked by firewire. Take your digital camera and make a DVD. Burn your ipod play list. Using airport play music anywhere in your home. Backup your data from your laptop. download your digital pics. Etc... Would this actually need anything more advanced than is in the ipod? Satisfy all your digital needs basically with the high price of a computer. I think we'll have something like this in the next 5 years.
Actually to do all that, you need the workstation capability of a computer - my son has this MSX1 from sony and it's about the only thing close to apple in use. But it is stuck with WinXP and the editing software is in no way comparable to iMovie or iDVD.
And the MP3 stuff through the magic gate digital rights management is a TRUE pain. The only reason he uses it is because he uses MemorySticks in a walkman - "the iPod is too BIG dad."
But the most use for the thing (other than to play games) is the TiVo like Pocket Recorder - he watches most TV on the LCD of the computer.

I do agree with you that in the future more and more single purpose devices will handle digtal media wirelessly - be it audio on a iPod or movies on a tablet type display.

cplmd

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2001
Louisiana
And on a final note.......

If I had to bet on what will be the next digital device from apple.....

A camera.....

Does 4 meg pix still or hires video - interchangable and stored on the 10 gb internal HD using MPEG-4 for video

sync's via FireWire to iMovie or iPhoto

10 hour li-ion battery charged with FireWire

for $800

well...... i can wish

of course, a digital MEDIA STOAGE hub would be nice too....... :D

Screamingbeaver

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2001
St. Paul, MN
Originally posted by jadam
have any of you seen the Moxi digital media center, it lets you stream Divx quality movies with an 802.11b network(airport) to Pocket PC's, Palm pilots(when they start using Arms) and other PCs and TVs, the thing kicks total ass. if apple came out with one that allowed you to stream video to any pc or tv in the house, or stream music or whatever you want, wouldnt you want one??? this way you could store ur music and videos on your PVR and save space on your hard drive, plus whenever you want to, from anywhere you could watch the movie. I think its a great idea
I have seen the Moxi...IT ROCKS! From what I've read, and it actually uses 802.11a to transfer the media wirelessly. It's up to 50Mbits/sec transfer rate. Which kinda sucks 'cause it's not backward campatible with all my other stuff. One of the coolest things about the Moxi is that it has 1394 so you can add storeage super easy. Need more space, slap another 160gig Maxtor external in your entertainmaint stand and you can keep adding audio or more A-team reruns. I'm definately getting this system when it's readily available. Does anyone know what provider will have it? Dish Network or DirecTV?

I have a TiVO like device.....yeah I know....It's UltimateTV. Hey, at the time it was the best deal. When I got it, almost a year ago, it was one up on the others 'cause you could record two shows at once while you watch something you've recorded. But now the other big boys can do that as well. I do love it though. I haven't touched a VHS tape it a year. With my family's busy schedule, this is the best component I own.

If Apple had a unit that did this I would scoop it up immediately. I could not live with out it.

'Beaver