Digital conversion delayed (4) months

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SFStateStudent, Jan 26, 2009.

1. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Just got the word that Digital Conversion that was to take place on February 17, 2009, has been delayed (4) months after a vote in the U. S. Senate approving the delay...

2. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Me gots a question about this topic:

Back in the day when T.Vs were first invented, that was Standard definition right.. so then when some higher quality thing came out, they called that Hi-Def right? So then at what point did they make that high definition to standard definition?

3. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I'm not the expert in this area, maybe a google question? Sorry...

4. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Looks dumbass mistake number one for our new president. That only took 6 days.....

It complete screwing over the broad casting companies who have for 3 years had this date set and where advertising it as such.

Lets not forget the companies that where planning on having access to those airways Feb 17. Even a slight delay will screw over years of planning.

5. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Actually, the United States Senate took the vote and approved the delay; Obama didn't have anything to do with the outcome...:confused:

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's evolved over the years. I did some reading about the PAL standard some years ago and they've upped the number of vertical lines in the past. They just didn't make such a show and dance about it as they are now.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

He came out on the 16th pushing for the delay. I think this vote was quite a bit his doing. If if signs it I would have to change my day of huge dumb ass mistake a few days. Either way it is a huge dumb ass mistake.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

This has nothing to do with high def TV, but instead it's about transition from analog to digital. Many of my OTA stations are still in standard def, it's just that they're now broadcasting that signal in digital, not analog. Most of my stations are either 720p or 1080i, though.

This problem is because of the inept performance of the FCC under Bush's administration. They are the ones who are to blame. Obama simply inherited the problem (I know, that sounds like a broken record).

Why is it a dumb-ass mistake?

9. Frisco macrumors 68020

Obama is to blame for this, but considering what bigger problems face us who cares.

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

read my first post and it explains the reasons. 3 years of major media broad casting it... If some one did not change I do not feel sorry for them. Add to it that it means a lot of money thrown in the trash and in times like that why should we waste the billions poured into getting ready for 2/17.

11. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

If i owned a TV station i would be freakin pissed. Spending all that money to upgrade equipment and advertising the switch argh.
    :eek:

12. SFStateStudent thread starter macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Would the delay preclude television stations from proceeding with their transition or would the delay be mandatory? Also, the House of Representatives need to vote on the delay as well...

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

No, a huge dumb ass mistake is invading a foreign nation whom you say has WMD but actually doesn't; thereby strengthening the position of the neighbor nation who would harm US interests, and creating millions of additional enemies of the US in the process that will be looking for ways to do us harm for 30+ years.

This is a minor dumb ass mistake at best. ;)

14. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The new senate legislation says if a network wants to switch they can Feb.17th. So it's up to the networks as to when it goes digital. Not a mistake. They don't have to wait until June.

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Sigh.

I have a feeling the majority of Senators and Representatives don't even understand the transition.

I talked to a former engineer at one of my local affiliates. He said that less than 10 percent of their viewership used over the air. 90+ percent got their programming from cable and satellite systems.

We've had four years to prepare. It's time to pull the plug. By the way, once the government coupon program expires — I bet anything the cost of the digital convertor boxes drop dramatically.

What about all the millions of people that did prepare, and get shoddy digital signal strength because their television stations aren't broadcasting at 100 percent power (because of analog interference)? They get to suffer 6 more months?

More money out the door:

"PBS chief Paula Kerger said yesterday that delaying the transition would cost public broadcasters $22 million. She said she hoped legislators would put money aside for PBS if they go forward with the delay."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/26/AR2009012602014.html?hpid=topnews

16. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

People are going to piss and moan whenever this change over happens. I bet the same people will be upset when they didn't get their converter box in 4 months. This delay will do nothing to get the procrastinators to get a box. Just pull the plug on analog already.

How many years has this been delayed already?

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Delay stupid? Deffinatly.

Huge Dumbass mistake: Uh, if this qualifies as huge to you guys I hate to see how everyone reacts to whats going to come....

18. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Black and white and color really aren't any different in resolution. Hi def is digital and completely different broadcast signal.

19. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

you people are talking like the networks are being forced to delay the switch to digital. They aren't. The legislation passed allows any broadcast network to swith to digital any time they want. They do not have to wait 4 months.

How simple is that to fathom ?

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So if they all turn off their analog signals what is the point in delaying? Broadcasters have been simulcasting in digital for years. They want to turn off analog.

Can a broadcaster turn off their analog signal Feb 17? What you said is they have the option.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If they want to, then who where the guys lobbying against the switch ??:confused:

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So what is the point in delaying if the networks can just turn off analog anyways?

23. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

The delay is to re-send coupons to thos who ca not afford the entire cost of the converter box. According to a Neilsons study there are I think 6.5 million people who did not have the converter box. They want ogive everyone a chance to get the box. Even though they've known about it for a very long time...

24. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

EDIT**** STUPID INTERNET. Mod please delete one of this

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This is so stupid.
    So we can have a situation where we have the spectrum all screwed up.