Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

DigiTimes is reporting this morning that Apple has partnered with U.S. game developer Valve to develop its rumored AR headset, which is expected to launch next year.

valve_logo.jpg

Apple reportedly has partnered with US game developer Valve to develop AR head-mounted display devices, which may be released in the second half of 2020 at the earliest, with Taiwan's ODMs Quanta Computer and Pegatron said to handle the assembly job, according to industry sources.
Creator of the popular Steam digital storefront and delivery platform, Valve launched Steam machine consoles in 2015 and released its first VR headset, Valve Index, in April 2019.

Notably, Valve worked with Apple in 2017 to bring native VR headset support to macOS High Sierra, leveraging the operating system's then-new eGPU support with a Mac version of Valve's SteamVR software. However, Apple's latest partnership with the company is said to be focused on AR, not VR.
Apple will cooperate with Valve on AR headsets rather than VR devices, as its CEO Tim Cook believes that AR can make digital content become part of the user's world and will be as popular as smartphones with consumers. This has also promoted Apple to step up the development of AR software by recruiting more engineers for graphic design, system interface and system architecture segments.
Back in July, DigiTimes reported that Apple had temporarily stopped developing AR/VR headsets and that the team working on them was disbanded in May and reassigned to other product developments.

However, according to the latest information from the Taiwan website's sources, Apple was actually in the process of shifting from in-house development to collaborative development with Valve.

Just last month, respected Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said Apple was cooperating with third-party brands to launch its first head-mounted AR product. Kuo believes Apple's AR headset is rumored to enter mass production as soon as the fourth quarter of this year in time for an early 2020 launch.

Code found in Xcode 11 and iOS 13 as recently as September has confirmed that Apple is still working on an augmented reality headset of some kind. In addition, there is an icon within the internal Find My app bundlede picting what appears to be an AR or VR headset that looks similar to the Google Cardboard.

apple-glasses-concept-macrumors.jpg
MacRumors concept of Apple Glasses

Kuo has said Apple's glasses would be marketed as an iPhone accessory and primarily take a display role while wirelessly offloading computing, networking, and positioning to the iPhone.

As early as November 2017, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reported that Apple's headset would run a custom iOS-based operating system dubbed "rOS" for "reality operating system." At the time, Gurman said Apple had not finalized how users would control the headset, but possibilities included touchscreens, Siri voice activation, and head gestures.

Apple originally aimed to have its AR product ready by 2019, but the company is said to have been relaxed about not shipping a product until 2020.

Quanta Computer and Pegatron are said to be handling the manufacturing and assembly job for Apple's headset. Quanta can reportedly produce AR headsets at a lower cost by leveraging camera lens technology licensed by Lumus, according to today's report.

DigiTimes' sources often provide reliable information, but the site has a mixed track record when it comes to interpreting that information and accurately deciphering Apple's plans, so treat this report with the necessary degree of skepticism for now until we can corroborate it from other sources.

Article Link: DigiTimes: Apple Partnering With Valve to Develop AR Headset

Last edited:

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Not true, macOS is a better platform for gaming the Windows thanks to Metal and stability. The issue is market share and bad porting. But this is gradually going to change.
Check MrMacright YouTube channels:
I've made a video buy myself about eGPU gaming, it is in Italian anyway:

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Should be interesting to see how this shakes out. I wonder how many of the Arcade games will support it, especially if it’s not VR? Also what form will it take? The article refers over and over to a headset, but then a glasses concept is shown ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PJWilkin

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
It’s a bad idea

how many of Valve’s own titles on Steam are not MacOS Catalina compatible?

They have had years to update to 64bit, yet dragged their feet

Lionel Messi

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2013
Barcelona, Spain
Good to see AR pulling through. I was never on the VR hype train even after developing a couple of simple games on Unity for the Vive. I don't buy the idea of covering my entire head with a screen and so AR is a more futuristic and user-friendly approach to that.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Not true, macOS is a better platform for gaming the Windows thanks to Metal and stability. The issue is market share and bad porting. But this is gradually going to change.

That seems like a pretty big issue, no?

Apple will have to move mountains and make their entire ecosystem more affordable and more customizable in order to even be considered a threat to the PC gaming market.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
LOL. Smoking the good stuff?

Macs don't have great graphic cards for starters which hampers good gaming performance. Windows PCs will always be the better games platform - far better value for money - costing far less for a more powerful gaming rig than any Mac can offer. My gaming PC has been rock solid, in terms of stability.

I've made a video buy myself about eGPU gaming, it is in Italian anyway:

Last edited:

tipoo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2017
Imagine if Half Life 3 was exclusive to the 1K+, mac+iOS exclusive Apple+Valve AR. Imagine the streams of salt.

I'd almost relish it, but I'd be pissed too.

M3gatron

Suspended
Sep 2, 2019
Spain
Ok so what you mean is that in theory MacOS could be a better platform for gaming but in practice it's not, because it lacks the necessary support and optimisations Windows gets.
Also honestly I haven't seen things evolve in Mac's favour when it comes to gaming and I don't see why they should. Nvidia, one of the biggest forces in AAA gaming doesn't work very with MacOS and the Metal API when it comes to AAA gaming is actually a disadvantage for Apple's platform. It would be way more productive for Apple if they would support Vulkan. Between DirectX 12, Vulkan and Metal, Apple's API will be in the last place in terms of support from game developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.