Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GrandCiel

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2019
try Permute 3worth every penny - will convert almost anything to audio - quickly and easy

For free versions
VLC
All2MP3

I used a conversion program from MediaHuman, MediaHuman Audio Converter. I had converted from AAC files to MP3 Stereo, 44100Hz, 320kbps. I've since re-saved all my CD's in Apple Lossless and am converting again.

While the conversions were easy and tags intact, the playback quality was not as good as my snap in adapter using an old iPhone 3 dedicated as an iPod playing Apple Lossless. Problem is the 32GB limitation. It doesn't work with my Library, much less my playlists unless I cut them down a lot.

I don't want to stream, and my car doesn't anyway, but I can connect my iPhone 11 Pro Max playing lossless with an Oppo HA-2SE DAC connected to the AUX connection. The AUX/portable DAC connection is the best, followed by the snap in adapter with the USB flash drive third. AUX does not give me steering wheel control or song lists on my car display. USB and the adapter do.There may be a Y-Connector option I can try with my 11 Pro and retain integration to my car but the DAC sounds so good and I would lose that.

Could it be the conversion program or are my ears that good? Would Permute be better than MediaHuman? How about the built in conversion capability of iTunes, assuming I can keep my lossless files and not mess up iTunes with the extra files?

I have no problem paying for the best conversion program if it provides a higher quality conversion.

I've saved some WAV files to test on the USB stick as well and will test other formats to see what my car can play.

All this trouble was started due to a sound system upgrade I am putting in my car and I want the best quality possible.

Thanks.

Last edited:

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
I used a conversion program from MediaHuman, MediaHuman Audio Converter. I had converted from AAC files to MP3 Stereo, 44100Hz, 320kbps. I've since re-saved all my CD's in Apple Lossless and am converting again.
..... etc etc
All this trouble was started due to a sound system upgrade I am putting in my car and I want the best quality possible.

That is too technical for me to dive into - I am quite happy using iTunes for the occasional song conversion etc - but I really do prefer - as mentioned above - Permute 3 - and even better value when paired with Downie

both handle everthing i have thrown at them - and are easy and simple to use and quick

Quick is important for me at my age - I tend to forget why I was doing something if it takes too long - lol

Not sure if that helps - but good luck on your search :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.