Dilemma as a Photographer: What to buy? Macbook ProR? How to manage Files etc?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sparksmith, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Sparksmith, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013

Sparksmith macrumors newbie

Hey there!

First of all I'm new here and I hope I don't have overseen a thread that already had this topic. At least the search didn't show me.

So the state of the art is this:
    At the moment I have a 27" mid 2010 iMac which I updated myself with an additional 256GB SSD and 16GB RAM and I have a 2012 Macbook Air, 13" with 8GB of RAM.

I work freelance as a photographer, doing some videoediting and graphic design as sideparts. I just bought a pretty decent 27" display and 2 27" displays are pretty much oversized for that and it's quite a mess to get all the pictures from shootings over to the iMac or switch displays.

To sell the iMac and "just work on the MBA" is no option since 8GB are not enough and the Dual-Core seems to get often on it's borders, especially during video-stuff.

So what I'm searching for is an option to keep everything simple but also have enough power to work with, PLUS: I have to somehow stay portable for shoots on location, but ALSO to not invest high amounts additionally if I'm selling my stuff.

My thoughts were that I sell both devices, add some amount of money and get - once released - one of the Haswell 15" MBPr with a big SSD and 16gig of RAM just to be sure.

So what do you think? Would a Mac Mini (then with another 24" and the 27") with my MBA or a separate 13" MBPr be a better choice? I'd just like to have some more opinions on that - so just tell me what you think, right out of the box:)

Thanks in advance!

2. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like the 15" rMBP is the ideal option for you. Powerful and portable. Throwing a Mac Mini into the mix will just force you to have to move data back and forth from machines, which seemed like that was one of the annoyances you currently have. Sure, the 15" rMBP is a bit heavier and bulkier than a MBA, but its worth it (and its not that bad).

And don't worry about Haswell. Pick up a refurb 2.7, 16GB, 512GB from Apple (or check Best Buy for open box items. I picked mine up for $2000 open box and a little haggling.)

3. Sparksmith thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the fast reply!

Well, I think waiting for the Haswell Books is not that bad. Either the Price is quite acceptable (I'm still a student so I can get some % on that), or the price for the "older" MBPr drop in price again. Also I don't have a "Best Buy" around here in Europe ;-)

Do the "old" MBPrs also have the "new" venting slots on the bottom of the case?

4. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Mine has the vents on the underside edges and also under the display. I'm assuming that the original rMBP's were the same (mine is the refresh from Feb 2013).

Oh, bummer on the no Best Buy. Maybe you still have other shops hat do open box?

5. Sparksmith thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, sounds good - but when I have a look at e.g. the refurbished february models, the 512, 16GB one is still at about 2400€ - when I get the same configuration as a student from my University, I'm at exactely 2460 - so not that a big "Deal" there - I'll absolutely wait for the new ones.

Any other comments on how to manage files etc? I already have a NAS for Backups so far :top:

6. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I do a lot of manual backups to multiple drives, so I don't have any real advice on automatic backups and the like. I'd just recommend being vigilant on the items that matter the most and making more than one backup as a habit. Fortunately, there are a lot of cloud storage options out there and I really like the Apple/Amazon cloud player options so I don't have to manually load things, and when I want it, I just stream/download from iCloud.

7. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

It certainly appears your need for portability suggest you have a laptop of some sort.

As for the Mac Mini, it certainly is not a bad idea or even a 21" iMac. I say this because any mobile device is subject to accidents leaving you with nothing for the duration of repair or replacement.

Hope you find what works best for you and if you remain with only a laptop, take all the needed precautions to keep it safe and in good working order.

8. Sparksmith thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your suggestions! ;)

9. rimeimeng macrumors newbie

take all the needed precautions to keep it safe and in good working order.[​IMG]

10. Sparksmith thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, then let's give it a try :)