Dilemma (Galaxy Nexus vs. iPhone 4S)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by psykick5, Nov 3, 2011.

1. psykick5 macrumors 6502

Alright guys so I'm just looking for some opinions on this. First of all, I'm on T-Mobile and will be buying one of these phones off-contract and unlocked. Now I know since this is an Apple-products forum you guys might have some biases but let's set those aside for a bit.

Now I'm going to assume you guys are well-read about the 4S. You might not be so with the Galaxy Nexus, http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/18/samsungs-galaxy-nexus-gets-official-android-4-0-4-65-inch-hd/ , there's a link so you can share a more educated opinion.

Now I used to own an HD2 running Android (it broke), and I also own an iPod Touch (4th), so I am familiar and educated on both OSes.

I've drafted some pros and cons for both devices and will put them in lists.

Pros of iPH4S
    • Superior battery life
    • iOS app selection is far greater both in quantity and quality
    • Better camera (not sure yet, more details about the Nexus' camera need to emerge)
    • Apple quality

Pros of the Galaxy Nexus
    • 4.5" HD display
    • Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0)
    • 3G data speeds on T-Mobile
    • Thinner

At this point the only thing holding me back from getting the iPhone is the fact that I will only have EDGE data speed on T-Mobile... this is concerning if I need to get stuff done away from Wi-Fi.

I just want opinions, so feel free to share yours.

Thanks.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

3. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Really depends on what you do with it.

Are you an apps junkie or like to play media and read/browse stuff?

4. Vizin, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  5. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

sentinelsx is right. What do you plan to use the phone for?

Do you want a big screen? Do you care if you use Android or iOS? Since you're coming from an HD2 I'd say the Galaxy Nexus is a better pick for you, and you can use your iPod to get your iOS fix.

6. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

If you have an iPod touch 4 then definitely go for the Nexus

7. psykick5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have been. I'm using my crappy dumbphone + iPod. It sucks.

I guess I'd fit in the Apps junkie category... I only have ~75 on my iPod at the moment.

8. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

Is why i switched to Android and i am glad i did. If i thought there was anyway i needed two phones, id get an iPhone at some point again..... maybe, but i dont need two phones and Android does everything and then some that iPhone didnt but the deal breaker for me was as stated, .....only being on EDGE.

My dilema is GS2 or Galaxy Nexus. ICS is a huge want and who knows when the GS2 will get it,...... but no micro slot and only a 5MP camera on GN makes it a toughy for me.

9. KPOM macrumors G5

Given your situation, you are probably better off with the Android since you can get one with 3G. If you are out of contract with T-Mobile but want to try an iPhone, consider H20 Wireless, which is an MVNO operating on AT&T's network. They have a no contract plan with unlimited text and minutes, and 3GB data for $60/month. You can sign up at Best Buy, though I don't know if they have Micro SIMs (you may need to purchase a SIM cutter).

10. Tmelon macrumors 6502a

Galaxy S3 is the best of both worlds, but you won't be seeing it for a while.

11. outz macrumors 6502

12. AlohaMaui macrumors member

If u can wait, get GS3 early next year when it comes out in Asia.
    Asian phones are usually unlocked.

Being only on EDGE would kill it for me too.
    Way too slow.

13. mush03 macrumors newbie

Im on the same boat. I went ahead and bought a iphone 4s yesterday and honestly edge is not THAT bad.
    Im comming from a nexus one with pretty fast 3g. The only thing is u cant stream videos and downloading apps takes forever. Pandora and browsing the web works fine
    Theres a 30 day return window so im still deciding

14. nfl46 macrumors 603

For you, I'd go with the Nexus. Edge is deal breaker.

15. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

It boils down to whether or not you like Android or iOS. Me, I despise Android. It's butt ****ing ugly, slow, poorly laid out and generally a ****ing pain in the ass to use. Plus, the apps are far more superior on the iOS than they are anywhere else.

If you can get by with using wifi and not Edge... but yeah, Edge sucks donkey balls very much badly. Edge is about as useful as teeth on a chicken.

16. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I would just get the tmobile gs2 or that new AT&T gs2 rocketspeed or whatever its called over Galaxy Nexus. 1.4 ghz dual core and larger 4.5" amoled +. A bit nicer over the stock gs2...

A 4s on tmobile is almost a waste of money. You got a speedy phone but you'll be bottle necked by the edge speeds. I did say almost though... At least you'll have iOS, Siri and an 8mp shooter though.

To the OP,the nexus... It looks alright I'm more impressed by the ICS than the phone itself.

17. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Problem is the Nexus is the only phone on which you can enjoy that bloat and skin free ICS. Other phones like GS2 will come with touchwiz. Yuck.

Op why not give a try to WP7?

18. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

True... I've rooted and then installed so many different ROMs on my EVO that I totally forgot about the bloatware on stock Android phones...

19. psykick5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apart from the apps comment, you must have used Android on the wrong phone. I had absolutely no gripes with it when it was on my HD2.

Exactly. I hate non-vanilla Android.

I have. I'd give it another two major updates before I call it ready for me to use it on a day-to-day basis. It's getting there, though.

20. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I dislike the stock dialer. Otherwise its great. It's probably because I am just used to it after having so many HTC phones but prefer the their dialer over any of the app dealers I found.

21. psykick5 thread starter macrumors 6502

The HTC dialer is okay. I can't stand their keyboard, though.

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

of those 75 apps that you have on your iPod how many of them do you use all the time. And of that list chances are most will be cross plateform or you can find something like it.

23. macinnv macrumors regular

Tmobile customer here. I would go for the Galaxy Nexus. I wouldnt go GSII, I tried a few of the Samsung devices and didnt like Touchwiz at all. I would go with the Galaxy Nexus, provided Tmobile does in fact end up carrying it. (I think its speculation at this point, but you could find it unlocked somewhere) With the Nexus you'll get HSPA+ speeds and stock android with consistent updates.

However, the iPhone 4S is a better device but its not worth the sacrifice of edge speeds. If you use Wifi at both home and work and are not heavily concerned with fast data on-the-go then Edge may not be so bad. Another thing you could consider is buying a used iPhone 4. The prices have been getting pretty low on eBay with everyone switching to the 4S.

24. psykick5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Probably around 55 to 60.

25. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

next question is are most of them games?