Dilemma - Getting a top end 2012 or budget 2013 MBA - in need of answers..

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by malthe, Apr 4, 2014.

1. malthe macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

So I'm switching from my Macbook Pro 15" 2010 - 2.4 i5, 8 gb ram, 500 gb 7200 rpm hd to a MBA..

I found two offers around the same price I like..

Option number one is a 2012 macbook air - top of the line :

2.0 ghz i7, 256 gb ssd, 8 gb ram.

OR

Option number two a 2013 macbook air - basic:

1.3 ghz i5, 128 gb ssd, 4 gb ram.

What would be the best buy and why?
    Im sure it will be a lot fast than my macbook pro for everything except gaming - because of the integrated intel graphic - but for most other it would be a upgrade right?

As my main I'm running a mac pro (2009) 2,66, 16 gb ram, 8 tb hd, and two 23" cinema displays - so I have my main there - but I need a laptop with power - what would you suggest me as my number 2?

Option 1 og 2? Or another option?

Thx in advance!

2. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Option 1 will be more 'powerful' in everything except video performance.

Option 2 will have improved battery life and of course better graphics.

Depends on what you need to do while mobile. To me, Battery life is the #1 'performance' metric for an MBA. On the other hand, I wouldn't buy an MBA without 8GB RAM because I run a VMWare Fusion VM all day for work. You may not have a need for 8GB or for the slightly larger SSD.

3. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

If you care a lot about battery life and don't need to run intensive apps, the obvious answer here would be the 2013 model (plus it can run games better). But the 2012 model will still give you decent battery life (assuming it was taken care of properly) and the extra SSD space+extra RAM will come in handy. Really depends on your own usage.

4. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

I guess I'm sorta in the same boat. My main machine is a souped up 5,1 Mac Pro. The MBA is just used when I travel. I only turn it on in the house to update it. I have a 2012 MBA (bought after the release of the 2013s) It only has 64GB of flash and 4GB RAM. I also have a 500GB external hybrid drive. When at airports and such I only use the MBA to surf and read eMails. Therefore 64GBs is plenty. When in a hotel or someone's home I attach the external HDD as that's where my programs and vital information is stored.

So, for me, having a minimalist MBA works for me.

Lou

5. cypriot macrumors regular

You can try to put an ssd on your old mbp save more for a while and get your hearts desire when you have enough. Thats what i plan to do with mine :)

6. Aylan macrumors regular

Aylan

If you do not care about graphics performance, get option 1, without a doubt.

Or if you can wait, I'd say wait for the next refresh.

7. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Wait until your budget permits a 8GB 2013 model. The battery life and graphics will help you use it for another 3 years. You can always get more storage in the future if necessary (but it will cost you).

8. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

I run a maxed out 2012 Air as per my sig and TBH I don't find the graphics wanting, but then I don't play games that often. It's a great machine and I've never thought to myself I need better. I get about 5-6 hours battery.

The other thing to bear in mind, if it's important to you, is that the 2013 will have PCIe flash. So 2x faster than 2012. Again, may be not important.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

10. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

What's your intended use as mentioned already

And if you want the best graphics that the Air can provide, use 8GB Ram, otherwise they'll be lame at best

11. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

Slap me Silly - 64GB was not enough internal storage and having to install the external drive anytime I wanted to really use the machine was really silly on my part. Anyway, I ordered a 480GB Internal SSD from OWC, and it didn't work very well. The day after my OWC order, Transcend came out with the same kit for $125.00 less. I RMAd the OWC one. The Transcend Kit came yesterday and it's seems to be working great.

Lesson Learned - Don't skimp on storage:mad:

Lou