Dilemma: If I'm getting iPhone 5, should I get an iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gamecube117, Sep 11, 2012.

1. gamecube117 macrumors 6502

Right now I have a Blackberry + iPod Touch 4.

I'm going to give my dad my iPod Touch 4 since I'll be buying the new iPod Touch.

But I just realized... I'll also be upgrading from Blackberry to my first iPhone. So, I'll have an iPhone + iPod Touch, both being able to play music. Is there a point? Do people usually listen to music with their iPhone, or do they have a separate MP3 player for that? Because I can play music on my blackberry but I never do.

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

You won't touch your iPod touch once you get your iPhone.

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I have one for work, but besides that, I don't see a point unless its for a home stereo, and even then you can just get an AirPort express and use AirPlay.

4. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

Yep.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It's redundant. Some have a Nano or sth for exercising, etc., but beyond that, what's the point?

6. swy05 macrumors 6502

Umm. What's the point?

The iphone has way more features than a ipod touch.

It's like buying 2 t.v.s for your room. A LED 3D t.v. and a regular LCD t.v.

7. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

don't bother getting an iPod touch if you are already getting an iPhone. As someone once said...the iPod Touch is like a retarded cousin of the iPhone. ;)

8. snook911 macrumors 6502a

Well since the ipod touch is just about the exact same thing as the iphone without the phone feature I would say no you really don't need the touch. I would use the extra money to buy more capacity on the iPhone to make sure you have enough room though.

9. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

Think of it this way, with iPhone, you end up paying the equivalent of at least 5 ipod touches over the course of 1 year with your cellular plan... is it really worth it to spend money on +1 iPod touch?

10. gamecube117 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hm, alright. I have a 32 GB iPod Touch, and I used 20GB/32GB (I have almost 2,000 songs). So I technically have 12 GB left, which is still quite a lot. But I think if I had an iPhone, I would be taking tons of pictures, videos, etc... so in reality, what would you recommend (space) should I get? 64?

11. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

As others have stated, it's a waste. I have a Nano for those times I don't want my iPhone. Running, etc...

12. AAPLinc macrumors 65816

I had an iPod touch 4g before I got my 4S. My touch was my first Apple product. After my 4S I sold my touch to a friend, wasn't any need for it. Your phone is your iPod touch now :)

It was nice having an iPod touch before my iPhone because I knew my phone so well upon turning it on for the first time.

Again, in my opinion you don't need both. But if you want touch to fool around with that's understandable.

13. philjo macrumors member

Trying to make a similar choice.

I currently have a Nokia phone (bought in september 2004 - payg using Virgin) but is now dying so needs replacing and I have never had an ipod.
    I have got a 32GB ipad 2 with music synched to itunes on my mac but want something smaller when wanting to travel light to listen to music etc.

Wondering whether to get ipod touch or get the iphone 4 now the price has been reduced (though that is 8GB only - but would probably suffice if I don't transfer all the docs/photos I have on the ipad). Or wait to see what ipad mini pricing is. I cannot justify any iphone model higher than a 4 - I rarely make any calls. I think I have made 5 or 6 calls this year and sent less than a dozen texts.

Any suggestions?

14. Big Stevie macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

In the days before owning an iphone I once bought in iPod touch, but then wondered why I was carrying both an ipod and a phone around. So I bought an iphone and since then my ipod has sat in a drawer.

15. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

If you want to do it and have the money to do so, why not? As I just said in another thread, I have a 64 GB iPhone 4S and still use my 4th-gen iPod Touch every day as well, in the car. It's nice to be able to listen to music AND have the phone available to use for nav or whatever (not to mention the fact that ringtones coming through the stereo are freaking DEAFENING...major reason I'll never connect my phone to my car stereo again). Yeah, it's a bit of a luxury and I could probably live without it, but I'm glad I don't have to.

16. TJ61 macrumors 6502a

Prior to my first iPhone (4S), I had a Palm Pre. It could play music just fine, but I used an iPod Nano exclusively. Since I switched to an iPhone last year, I use that exclusively to listen to music. I guess it's the software and interface that made the difference for me. So, it might for you too, especially since you're part way into the Apple ecosphere like I was.

You're about where I was at in terms of content when I got my 32GB iPhone. I manage alright, but it does take management. I shoot video at 720p, convert all songs to 128 on transfer, I'm constantly culling the lamer tracks from albums...so, there's a good chance I'll get a 64GB next time around; especially if I was able to rationalize how I was saving $$ by not buying an iPod Touch, too.

Regards,
    Tom

17. x&y macrumors member

Only you know the answer to the question.

What size is your iPod Touch?
    What size iPhone 5 are you going to get?
    How many GB of music do you use on a regular basis?

Etc.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, it seems like a waste to buy both.

19. aleni macrumors 68020

i hate iPod touch, because it has lesser specs.

like my iPod touch 4th gen, feels fast for 3 months, but after games like n.o.v.a 3 comes out. it runs like crap.

this will happen with the new iPod touch as well. feels great playing n.o.v.a 3, but after games like real racing 3 comes out. it will feel like crap again.

20. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Space is less of an issue on the iPhone visavis music for 2 reasons:

1. If you bought your music through Apple, you can access it anytime over the wireless network with iTunes in the cloud.

2. If you "bought" ahem music as mp3 r whatever from elsewhere, just sign up for iTunes match, and all your non-apple music becomes available for download as well.

I have a 32gig iPhone 4, and 80+gigs of music in the cloud. I also have 20gugs free on my phone at most times.

I can confidently recommend 32gigs as more than enough storage for a phone.

That being said... I'm getting the 64gig iPhone 5 because I want to have access to more storage when I am in the country far away from cel towers.