Dilemma - upgrade now, directly from 10.6.8 to Mavericks 10.9.5, or wait for Yosemite

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by GeoFan49, Oct 20, 2014.

?

To Update or not to Update? Mavericks or Yosemite?

  1. Go for it. Directly upgrade from Snow Leopard to Yosemite now.

    25.0%
  2. Be more cautious.. wait for Yosemite 10.10.x

    8.3%
  3. Be even more cautious.. upgrade from Snow Leopard to Mavericks 10.9.5

    50.0%
  4. Why bother to upgrade at all?

    16.7%
  1. GeoFan49, Oct 20, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014

    GeoFan49 macrumors member

    GeoFan49

    Joined:
    Mar 3, 2012
    Location:
    Silicon Valley, SF Bay Area, California, USA
    #1
    Upgrade now (directly from 10.6.8) to Mavericks 10.9.5, to Yosemite 10.10.0, or wait for Yosemite 10.10.x?

    My OS X Upgrade Dilemma…

    I have downloaded the 10.9.5 Mavericks installer last week.

    I am experiencing some iCloud envy… still running Snow Leopard on my MBP… Should I upgrade to Mavericks 10.9.x now, to Yosemite 10.10.0, or wait for Yosemite to mature at v. 10.10.1?

    I usually wait for x.y.z (plus a week or two) rather than using any x.y.0 software. (Especially after the recent iOS 8.0 to 8.0.1 to 8.0.2 to 8.1 fiascoes...)


    :: My Hardware ::

    I have a MacBook Pro (MacBookPro5,4 — 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo, vintage 2010) that I bought via Craigslist (with a few scratches on the case) a few years ago at a steal. Also using an iPad Air with iOS 8.0.2 (128 GB, Verizon) for 50% of my work… and the old MBP for the other 50% of my work. I have upgraded the MPB to 8GB of RAM and installed a new 1TB (7200 RPM) hard drive last year.

    I am willing to make a clone of my 1TB internal hard drive and then do a clean install... I also have a time machine backup on an external 2TB drive.


    :: My Software ::

    Still about 90% happy with Mac OS X 10.6.8 here… but I have some iCloud envy.

    Still using the old GraphicConverter v. 6.7.4 from 2010. It can do about 95% of what I need, and I don't want to go thru a day or two of learning curve on a piece of software that I have been using (on every Mac I ever owned) for more than 20 years.

    Bought Microsoft Office:Mac 2011 but have yet to install it. Still running Office 2004 (Excel, Word mostly) which does about 95% of everytning that I need to do.

    I have VMWare Fusion (5.0.3) and WinXP and Win7 but very, very rarely use them.

    About 60% of what I need to do is web-based, and almost any platform will do. iPad, Mac, or whatever… (I do often switch back and forth from MBP to iPad - and I rely on things like Evernote and Google Drive and iCloud to coordinate…)

    Should I upgrade now, directly from 10.6.8 to Mavericks 10.9.5, or wait for Yosemite 10.10.x?

    Will the advantages of all the iCloud integration make it worth the cost and the pain of upgrading?


    :: Bottom line ::

    What software that I am running now will not work on Mavericks, OR on Yosemite? How to determine that? Is there an app for that? What will the upgrade cost me in time and money and inconvenience? Will the pleasure be worth the pain?
     
  2. Eithanius, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2015

    Eithanius macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2005
    #2
    My recommendation to you, partition your HDD to 2 - one for SL, another for Mavericks/Yosemite. That way, you can test drive the latter while you continue to work on the former, until such time you are ready to migrate everything over.


    Your software to upgrade for Mar/Yos:

    VMware Fusion
    GraphicsConverter

    Obsolete piece of app:

    iSync - if you ever use it with other phones. Other SL apps are pretty minor to be listed out.
     
  3. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

    kwokaaron

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2013
    #3
    In addition to what Eithanius said, Office 2004 won't work either so you'll have to install 2011 too.

    I would say upgrade to Mavericks and wait for Yosemite. My impression is that there are quite a lot of complaining going on in the Yosemite about bugs and slowdowns.

    Also, if you want to check for app compatibility, RoaringApps is a good site. Bear in mind that it might not have all the app versions (or even the app itself).
     

Share This Page