Dilemma: What should I buy to last me until the iPhone 6s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shunting123, Dec 7, 2014.

1. shunting123 macrumors member

Hi, all.
    Long story short, I'm not exactly in love with the iPhone 6 (and hoping the 6s is better) but need to get a replacement phone already (my iPhone 4 is on its last leg).

I plan to buy something now and re-sell when the 6s comes out (i.e., in 6-9 months).

My options:

-1- A new 5s for $585 (including tax).
    -2- A "mint" used 5s from Swappa for $425 (or maybe they'll take $400, if I'm lucky).
    -3- A good condition 5s from Gazelle (they have none in excellent condition) for $380.

Which option do you think represents the best deal if I'm planning to sell when the 6s comes out?

Thank you.

2. Mac-lover3 macrumors 6502

Mac-lover3

Well I suggest you buy one from eBay in good conditions or just from Gazelle but why a 5S if you're going to buy a 6S, I would go with an iPhone 5 still speedy and no problems with iOS 8

3. blcfla macrumors regular

I have a 6 coming tomorrow, if you want a near mint silver 5s 16gb on Verizon?

I'd say you'd lose least amount of $ picking up a 5s used to use until 6s.

4. abe7333 macrumors member

I would with a cheaper option such as iphone 5. You can probably get one $200. It actually works great with the new OS

5. MPclk2006 macrumors regular

You should look at your local craigslist to see if anyone is selling an iphone 5 or 5c/5s for less than what you are trying to pay right now.

6. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I have to say after struggling with not wanting a 6, then buying two and them being defective..

I got a third one anyways. I really do like it after all.

If you sincerely don't, just keep your eye out. There are still mint 5s out there. You could still find decent 5 and 5c devices out there too.

Good luck!

7. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Yeah, get an iPhone 5 to tide you over. Aside from screen size and battery life, I can see very little difference between my i5 and 6+ in terms of performance.

8. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

Sadly, I also don't think the iPhone 6 Plus will provide the user experience I need for the two years I'll keep it. Although I have lots of wants (like Apple Pay, better camera, bigger screen, and more storage), my only need is Touch ID and its integration with my password manager. Probably going to go the same route with an iPhone 5S.

9. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

Well there are quite a few of us selling 5s devices. Me included. There are good deals to be had if that's what you're looking for. =)

10. shunting123 thread starter macrumors member

Hi, all.

Responding to the above:

-1- in terms of whether to just get the 5...i thought the camera in the 5s was quite superior (and is almost identical to that of the 6)?

-2- regarding buying from CL or eBay....I would never trust CL, but I guess eBay is about as legitimate/safe as Swappa, now that I think of it. I guess I should skip Swappa (because of the mark-up) and just use eBay or Gazelle (certified)?

Thank you.

11. la79 macrumors regular

la79

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Why? If you are looking for value this is probably the best place to go. Meet at a carrier store, have the carrier activate and add the new phone to your account (after verifying that the person handing you the phone had it on their account) and you are perfectly safe. I have sold/bought nearly a dozen phones this way and every transaction has been nothing but smooth.

13. The Robot Cow macrumors 6502

The Robot Cow

Id go with an iPhone 5.

----------

This is the way to do it.

14. Dan70 macrumors regular

Personally, I'd get a close to brand new as possible 5s. The iPhone 6s will be the same as the current 6. History speaks for itself. You're wasting your time and money waiting for it, honestly.