Dim bulbs try to repeal light bulbs

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Really, Republicans? Really?

Comments, in reverse order:

• Give 'em hell, Michele! You keep those illuminazis out of our lives and preserve our precious light bulb freedoms! :rolleyes:
    • Disappointing to see that this nonsense might still pass as a rider.
    • I like the way the article points out the lie to Barton's "$6 light bulb" comment ...and also that incandescent bulbs pay for their own added cost.
    • Most importantly: can you believe House Republicans are wasting everyone's time with this crap??

2. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Just another example of the nanny state trying to run everyones lives in every imaginable way. This isn't an issue that needs to be discussed on the tax payers dime. I think there are more important things to worry about.

3. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Letting the folks decide on their own lightbulbs seems fair to me. The new bulbs are expensive and you need a haz-mat team to clean up broken bulbs. That said, I've replaced most of the lights in my house and at work with the new bulbs and my electric bill is down. Folks who are strapped for cash usually make the decision to save money on the short term instead of add $50 to their grocery bill for CFLs.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This taking point was never true and is still absolutely ridiculous.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

http://epa.gov/cfl/cflcleanup.html

I've broken one before and I've just tossed in the trash, but I think some would panic. The overall point it that people can decide what bulbs are best for them at the time, don't you agree?

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Thanks to misinformation from people claiming you need a hazmat team if you break one.....

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Okay, are there more dangers associated with breaking a CFL bulb in your home as opposed to a incandescent bulb? Because it seems you're missing the forest for the trees here. I take it you're not interested in letting an individual choose their own light bulb?

9. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Sometimes they almost write themselves. :D

10. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I disagree. We should not let people decide things like this. We are reminded daily in this very forum (see below for quotes from yesterday) that you cannot leave it to people to make decisions. The government is there to make these decisions.

11. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Incandescent bulbs are long gone in Australia. I miss the bright, instant, unflickering light they provided but I sure as hell love not buying them all the damned time.

These little compact fluoros last forever.

12. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Oh SOO true! I've heard that Steve Jobs wants to make macs more energy efficient so they can make a law telling you which computer to buy. Stock price--through the roof!

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

These light bulb standards were put in place by guess who? Bush & the republicans....now the republicans dont want them?:D

14. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

they aren't that expensive. Sure they cost more than incandescent, but not $50. A quick search on amazon to check prices found a pack of 8 for about $10. Of course it is true that people have that attitude of buying the cheaper product even when it will cost more long term, and that is the cause for a lot of our current problems.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

All these measures allow the current electric grid to be stable just a little while longer.

These guys have to look past their navel.

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

On the scale of things neither register as overtly dangerous. There's barely a difference.

The forest being made of people such as yourself spreading FUD about requiring a hazmat team? I picked up on that pretty quickly I thought. I also note you didn't acknowledge you were wrong and instead tried to push along to a Libertarian argument now.

You edited that sentence into your last post after I was replying. I've no problem with phasing out old tech for more efficient globes at a legislation level. If you think otherwise you are free to stockpile away or import to your hearts content.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I think the the 50 meant the cost to replace all the light bulbs not just 1 package. I like the cfl not for power saving but because I can put a brighter bulb in the socket. I was running like 100w equivalents in 40w max sockets. It was great.

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

While I agree it's a good thing are there no exceptions? Sometimes only a incandescant will do,they are used a lot for load balancing on some micro hydro systems for instance (not that there aren't other things you can use [a one bar electric heater for instance :) ] but they are fairly common).

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Growing ornamental tomatoes?

20. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yeah but how often do you have to replace every bulb at once? I don't think the law requires everyone to replace all of their old but still working incandescent bulbs at once. So if someone's concerned about price they can switch over as their old bulbs die, and there's not a huge difference in price doing it that way.

21. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

They'd be sodium and/or mercury vapour shirley.( or so I've been told :) )

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

That is how I would switch them I over. Replace the bulbs as they burn out. It reduces the sticker shock. Now in apartments it would suck because when I moved out I would always buy those cheap bulbs to put in sockets to replace my clf that I would take with me.

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Nice non answer, the truth is that there are more dangers associated with the CFL bulbs.

Please don't blame me for FUD that was around long before I said anything. You're trying pretty hard to pin it on someone while at the same time you say there's barely difference between bulbs- which is wrong. I've posted a link earlier so you can read yourself what the differences in bulbs are and any hazards associated with them.

I've changed the bulbs in my own house without any legislation needed. Why do you feel the need, from Australia, to encourage legislation in the US to tell people which bulbs they can use?

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

To replace a whole house it could be upwards of $50. For someone on a tight budget $10 or $50 can make a big impact.

25. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I'm all about the CFL's but don't they have mercury in them? I'm always super careful when I replace them and dispose of them. I don't need broken bulbs with mercury getting into my carpet.