dinocarbon "carbon fiber" short review and images

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by txr0ckabilly, Jul 26, 2010.

1. txr0ckabilly macrumors 6502

the original thread got moved to the wasteland. you can see i had some problems with the company shipping my order in that thread. (just to kind of prove i don't work for them or anything)

after going through a few hassles with these guys. they sent me my first order. i considered it junk. it was just two pieces of the tape with no holes and they weren't even cut straight. i just pealed them off and stuck them on a #2 Ticonderoga (pencil)

then for some reason, i received a second shipment of the same "junk". it came in a legal-sized envelope. the same pieces were rolled up and in a little bag. the rolls looked like they had been sat on.
    [​IMG]

then this morning, i received another shipment from them. this time it was in a first class cardboard photo mailer. i opened it and was pleasantly surprised. it came with two pieces of the tape. one was the original wrap for the antennas. the other was a cover for the back glass. this time all the holes for the switches, buttons, mic holes, camera, apple logo were in fact precut.

i applied them both and all holes seem to line up pretty good.

i thought i'd go ahead and do a review since they did send me the second and third shipments free of charge.

now images:

with bumper on:
    [​IMG]

without bumper:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

P.S. sorry for low quality pics. (casio point and shoot)

2. txr0ckabilly thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I guess it's not much of a review but I'll let the images speak for themselves.

3. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

I gotta ask...
    did you modify your bumper in some way?

the rubber part looks much blacker than yo usually see

I like it

4. txr0ckabilly thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I didn't modify it at all. I think it's the low quality camera and the lighting in my office that makes it look "blacker".

5. caffeinejunkie macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about ordering one of these but I'm kind of concerned about the state of the back of the iphone one day when I get tired of the look of it...Do you think you'll have an issue removing it? Did it seem like it'll leave a sticky residue?

6. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

I have took my skin off just to see if it has left any residue on the back. It has none only a little gunk that has collected on the sides which easily comes off with a micro fiber cloth leaving no scratches or any marks.

It goes back on and has stayed stuck down with no problems. I wouldn't do it too many times though it will probably lose it's adhesive after a while.

7. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

There seems to be DOZENS of vendors selling the same 3M vinyl textured carbon fiber looking stuff. It's on eBay and it's all over the web and it's all identical. Some companies give you front covering as well as back and sides and some leave out the front.

It also comes in white by the way. I have had it on a number of devices and really like it.

Considering the "amateurishness" of this company you should get it from some of the more "mainstream" outfits like Phantom Skinz or SGP. Phantom Skinz also includes 2 excellent screen protectors.

Here is a "fully visible" version of the Phantom Skinz one on eBay (includes the front): http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220644898990&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

Here is the SGP version (no front): http://www.sgpstore.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_28_89/products_id/1472

I've also seen 5 or 6 others. The Phantomskinz ones seems to be the most complete.

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

I'm waiting for someone to make a decent carbon fiber front screen protector.

9. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

LMAO

10. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

Looks good except for the overlap on the top of the phone. Is it not cut to size or was it user error?

11. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

Where would be the best place to find the cheapest of these carbon skins that are also decent quality?

12. jdean23 macrumors member

I just bought A carbon Di-Noc Skin off Ebay for 10.00 Looks like the same great quality to use with my bumper

gi.ebay.com/Iphone-4-3M-Carbon-Fiber-Cover-Case-Skin-Guard-4g-/110565036436?cmd=ViewItem&pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item19be309194

13. txr0ckabilly thread starter macrumors 6502

It wasn't user error. I guess I coul of trimmed it but it didn't seem that bad to me.