Diplomacy leads to action/sanctions against Iran

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, May 19, 2010.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/20/world/20sanctions.html

It's been a long time since the USA really showed its diplomatic prowess. Without Russia and China, the UN could not pass any new sanctions, as they both have veto power. The Obama administration's efforts and success in getting Russia and China on-board is HUGE!

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Didn't they have veto power during the first 3 sets of sanctions that didn't work also?

Don't imagine this will do much at all, I believe China/Russia barred them from doing anything about gasoline/oil imports/exports from Iran.

Sounds like the biggest thing we received was the ability to search ships that docked with suspicion of nuclear materials.

3. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

From what I understand, the end agreement will be a watered down ineffective disaster. I truly hope for diplomacy to work, I truly hope that Iran comes around and stops enriching Uranium... but I fear that nothing will stop them except bombs... most likely from Israel alone.

Truly sad that it has come to this, hopefully our leaders can find a better way, and in a hurry. Our entangling alliances have not been very helpful in many instances related to this issue. Truly sad that countries who do business with Iran are too afraid and too greedy for cheap oil that they refuse to make truly substantive concessions causing a truly staggering impact on Iran's economy.

4. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

The US approach to the Iranian issue is a joke. Clearly those who not only do business with Iran, but actually border Iran and have their leaders visit Iran and talk to the Iranians see that as well.

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

^^ Well that sounds pretty honest. Going to war with Iran would be a bad move.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Unless we are trying to set a guinness world record for number of simultaneous wars. As far as im concerned the US needs to stay the hell out of it, agree not to trade with them at all and let the bordering nations take care of the problem if it implodes. In the mean time build up our missile defense systems/get the hell out of afghan/iraq.

7. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Except we invaded and are now occupying one of those bordering nations that was the one nation there that really stood against Iran.