DirecTV Now Sweetens Deal: Prepay Three Months of Service for $105 and Get a Free 32GB Apple TV 4K

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 9, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

DirecTV Now has updated its Apple TV 4K deal today with an even lower price point: if you prepay for just three months of the streaming TV service for a total of about $105, you'll get the 32GB Apple TV 4K for free. The deal is an improvement on the original DirecTV Now offer of prepaying for four months of the $35/month service (that's the entry price point), which ended up costing $140 for the 32GB Apple TV 4K.

This makes DirecTV Now's deal the best sale price currently available online for the Apple TV 4K, with the $105 price tag up to $75 cheaper than the device's current going rate of about $170 to $180 at retailers like B&H Photo and Best Buy. You could also opt for the higher cost packages of DirecTV Now when prepaying for three months, with the service increasing to $50/month, $60/month, and $70/month for additional channels.

[​IMG]
    Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with these vendors. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Once ordered, the Apple TV 4K arrives in the mail within a few weeks, and if you don't want to continue to pay for DirecTV Now at the end of the three month prepaid period, you can cancel it before you're billed again and keep the Apple TV 4K. The offer is limited to new DirecTV Now subscribers in the United States, but existing customers can take advantage of it by using a different email address. There's also a limit of one offer per DirecTV Now account and two per shipping address.

Below you'll find more of the fine print on the refined deal:
    The company notes on the updated page for the deal that it is a limited time offer and "won't last," suggesting that it could return to the normal four months of prepaid service fairly soon. If you're interested, head over to DirecTV Now's landing page for the deal, click "Redeem & Stream," and make sure to add the free Apple TV 4K to your plan during the sign-up process.

For more information on discounts happening this week, visit our Deals Roundup.

Article Link: DirecTV Now Sweetens Deal: Prepay Three Months of Service for $105 and Get a Free 32GB Apple TV 4K

2. TimUSCA macrumors 6502a

TimUSCA

That is a fantastic deal. I'm already a subscriber, but I'm tempted to use my work email for another Apple TV.

On a side note, has anyone actually run out of space on their 32gb? I have two 32gb models and have never come close to filling either one up. Not sure why the 64gb even exists.

3. Mack813 macrumors member

nope no where near filled up a 32gb

But directv sucks i have the cheaper package i think im going back to PSvue or going to give Hulu live or youtube live a shot after

4. DeftwillP macrumors 6502

I think I remember the last time this deal happened that someone figured out you could cancel your direcTV now account one day and call back the next for the deal.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Hmm. I already have DTV. I guess it's time to make a new Gmail account. Ha. Can't really resist that price.

6. drew05 macrumors regular

I was about to pull the trigger on the 4 month prepay last night, but I'm glad I waited! This is such a great deal.

7. GIZBUG macrumors 65816

GIZBUG

Lack of channels on youtube Live compared to DirectTV now; no comparison. Until Youtube TV ups the channels, this deal is still best out there.

8. Mack813 macrumors member

What about Hulu live?

9. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

If anyone already has DTVNow and is considering the updated deal, creating an iCloud email alias is another option if you've run out of existing email accounts: https://support.apple.com/kb/ph2622?locale=en_US

You'll need an iCloud email address to start with, of course, but it works really well for stuff like this:)

10. macaddiict macrumors regular

We did this back in November. The issue is ... DirecTV really sucks. The service is worse than I could have imagined. Get the deal, but plan to just sign up for something else.

11. 5aga macrumors 6502

5aga

Hulu Live is comparable to DTV's base package but the monthly cost is slightly higher. Plus DTV has HBO for $5/month.

12. beanbaguk macrumors 6502

beanbaguk

Shame us Europeans can take this offer! I'd snatch it up in a second!

(Anyone want to take it up for me!? :D )

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I've had DTV since it started. I'm not a huge fan of the interface, and must say it's less intuitive on ATV than Roku or Amazon Fire for some reason, but for $35 including HBO I really can't complain. It's certainly not unusable in my experience. What the ATV interface really needs IMHO is Siri control. If I could control it by voice and not the annoying ATV remote I'd be in a really good place with it.

14. 2010mini macrumors 68040

no family here in the US?

15. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Good intel. Thanks for posting that. I didn't know that feature existed.

16. SeminalSage macrumors member

SeminalSage

I have Hulu Live and I like it.
    Pros: Stream is great (I'm on 150/150 fiber), channels are great (All local and sports. Hulu Originals are good), Price (while $40, they include everything. So the cost is inline with other services)
    Cons: UI is bad (but an update is coming. And search makes up for it).

17. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

At the very least I wish they'd change the touch panel taps on Siri Remote to align more with Apple TV standard inputs. Having to fully click in for the now playing information is still weird to me and I've been signed up since December.

Otherwise yeah, I quite like it. Just hoping DVR isn't a dumpster fire at launch. I'm in beta and it has not been great.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2018 ---
    No problem! Yeah, my dad showed it to me a few months back as a way to create specific email aliases for certain websites and then being able to funnel them all into one inbox. A bit of improved security for stuff like banking info, so your sign-in address isn't just the same email you use for everything else.

And then I discovered it tricks sites like DTVNow if you just pump out a new alias on the same iCloud account, even if the OG account already has DTVNow.

18. PeterKG macrumors 6502

I just signed up for this but it was $150.00 total, not $105.00 as the article says. ​

19. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

I got the deal with the non-4K AppleTV box earlier. Works GREAT! I have no idea why these people are complaining about the service. We have four AppleTVs around the house now, each can watch DirectTV Now (maximum of 2 streams simultaneously). That reduced our cable bill from around $210 to $90 -- $55 for internet and $35 for DirectTV Now.

20. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

Which package did you choose? "Live a Little" at $35/month should be $105, while the "Just Right" $50/month package will be $150 for three months.

21. indychris macrumors 6502

indychris

Has anyone actually tried this sign-up promo yet? When I do, the only option I have is for the full subscription price. From what I can tell, if you go for the "free" ATV4K, you are paying $60/70 rather than $35/45 depending on the plan selected. If that's the case, then you're gonna buy two of those ATV's in your first year simply because you're paying a higher price. I tried with both options, but here is with the $45/120 channel:

[​IMG]

22. vartanarsen macrumors 6502a

im grandfathered into the $35...how would i get this without breaking that?

23. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I always thought about doing it when it was $105 for an ATV4. Then it became $140 for an ATV4K. Dropping back to $105 is too hard to resist, purchased one as soon as I woke up this morning.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2018 ---
    No issues doing the 3x $35 this morning for the ATV.

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yeah, I was using the beta but stopped because it's just too annoyingly slow. And the iCloud email tip -- also a lot quicker than setting up a throwaway Gmail account.

25. PeterKG macrumors 6502

I didn't see where I could choose a cheaper package. I just went through the sign up without adding more. They must have it set at a default $50.00 package, for people like me who didn't do it correctly.