Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
I have a PC for gaming with a Radeon HD5700 and Windows 10. I purchased Gears of War Ultimate edition, but when I try to launch it says it requires DirectX12. I tried updating drivers to no avail. I know my GPU is a few years old, but it was decent when I bought it. Does it really not meet min specs for this dang game?

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
The Radeon 5700 is many generations old and does not support DirectX 12. You will need to upgrade it.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
An nvidia GTX970 is a good workhorse. You can spend almost as much or as little as you like on GPUs but that's a good baseline to work from. :) (Not too weak and not too expensive, meets the min spec for VR, runs things well ~1080p)

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
An nvidia GTX970 is a good workhorse. You can spend almost as much or as little as you like on GPUs but that's a good baseline to work from. :) (Not too weak and not too expensive, meets the min spec for VR, runs things well ~1080p)

The OP posted another thread with the rest of his PC's specs, and any GPU upgrade is going to be severely bottlenecked by his CPU. No point in going this route until the rest of the machine is upgraded.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
The OP posted another thread with the rest of his PC's specs, and any GPU upgrade is going to be severely bottlenecked by his CPU. No point in going this route until the rest of the machine is upgraded.
As an owner of a phenom II black I don't 100% agree.. Some games run absolutely fine on the old AMD quads. I don't use it it my main PC (built my daughter one from trimmings) but a game like Gears, or Resident Evil, etc etc might well work... It's stuff like GTA and The Witcher 3 with open worlds/lots of multithreaded stuff that suffer most from an old CPU.

OP: I say go for the GPU upgrade, see how you fare - if things don't work out you can use it in your next build. Buying a new mono/ram/cpu right now isn't the best timing, but the GPU is a safe enough bet. You'll notice an immediate and quite drastic improvement in many games. (I did this exact upgrade a while back)

Edit: apparently Gears Ultimate wants a minimum of a FX6300 - so err.. It likely won't work At all? I've seen min specs be wrong a lot though so maybe it will anyway, but I wouldn't count on it. I'd still upgrade the GPU so you know where you stand. Then prepare to replace everything else, lol.

Last edited:

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
OP: I say go for the GPU upgrade, see how you fare - if things don't work out you can use it in your next build. Buying a new mono/ram/cpu right now isn't the best timing, but the GPU is a safe enough bet.

You have that backwards. An Intel Skylake CPU with DDR4 is more than enough for now, but with NVIDIA Pascal due soon, now would not be a good time to get a new GPU.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
You have that backwards. An Intel Skylake CPU with DDR4 is more than enough for now, but with NVIDIA Pascal due soon, now would not be a good time to get a new GPU.
TBF we're both being over cautious and now is a perfectly fine time to get either, as both will always have new stuff on the horizon. Eg: AMD's Zen CPUs are coming later this year. Depends what price range he's into spending. At least with a new GPU it's just a single component whereas a new CPU (in his case) demands almost everything switched out.

Even a very modest ~FX8320 would run Gears well though. It's not like he needs to get bleeding edge stuff.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Buying Nvidia GPUs for DX12 is absolutely terrible idea.

DX12 completely lifts the need for fast processor tied with AMD GPU, because it is explicit multithreaded API.
http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/1081/bench/CPU_03.png
http://www.techspot.com/articles-info/1081/bench/CPU_01.png
See?
And this is the reason why Nvidia GPUs for DX12 are terrible idea: http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Hitman-PC-DirectX-12-Benchmarks_2.jpg
http://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Hitman-PC-DirectX-12-Benchmarks_1.jpg

Worth noting: GTX 770 is the same chip which is in GTX 780M from iMac 27 inch., and R9 380 is the same chip which is in... R9 M395 from iMac 5K. Not even X, just M395. In M395X there is R9 380X. And that is on the same level as GTX 970.

Because of the serial nature of the DX11 API you were required to have fast CPU. Right now, in DX12 all games are GPU only bound.
Look at this how big boost you get with DX12: http://cdn.overclock.net/1/1e/400x800px-LL-1e876f7a_hitman-cpu-scaling.jpeg

Last edited:

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Not really. They'll work fine. As previously stated he doesn't need "the best." And GPU provider fanboys will argue both directions anyway. It's inevitable. :D
Yes, they do. So far highest ratio of compute-graphics on DX12 games is 20:80. And There will be titles where everything might be procedurally generated(including textures, objects, etc), so it will have 80:20. What will happen then, when Nvidia GPUs are not able to switch context between graphics and Compute?

So far none of games pushed DX12 to the absolute limit.

Second thing: Do you think it is logical to buy more expensive, and worse performing GPU? Which is the case of Nvidia? When you can get the same type TDP GPU with similar type of performance for less? Remember, R9 380 is almost on par with GTX 970, uses similar amount of power but cost quite a lot less.

GTX 970 is 340$. R9 380 is 190$. See the point?

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
Yes, they do. So far highest ratio of compute-graphics on DX12 games is 20:80. And There will be titles where everything might be procedurally generated(including textures, objects, etc), so it will have 80:20. What will happen then, when Nvidia GPUs are not able to switch context between graphics and Compute?

So far none of games pushed DX12 to the absolute limit.

Second thing: Do you think it is logical to buy more expensive, and worse performing GPU? Which is the case of Nvidia? When you can get the same type TDP GPU with similar type of performance for less? Remember, R9 380 is almost on par with GTX 970, uses similar amount of power but cost quite a lot less.

GTX 970 is 340$. R9 380 is 190$. See the point?

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-AMD-R9-380/2577vs3482

970 and 380 aren't even close to par, nuff said.

OP: get the best you can afford and make it work the best you can with lower settings. If the game is any good, lower settings don't matter (it'll still be a good game on "normal" and "ultra-insane-crazy"). If you wait for the "next thing" you'll always be waiting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irishman

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-AMD-R9-380/2577vs3482

970 and 380 aren't even close to par, nuff said.

OP: get the best you can afford and make it work the best you can with lower settings. If the game is any good, lower settings don't matter (it'll still be a good game on "normal" and "ultra-insane-crazy".
Hitman-PC-DirectX-12-Benchmarks_2.jpg

What did you said? ;) And yes, we were talking about DX12. Similar situation is with rest of DX12 games, and new DX11 games, like Killer Instinct.
medish.jpg

medish.jpg

As I have explained many times. In DX11 AMD GPUs were bottlenecked by software. AMD brought new drivers, and all of the bottlenecks are lifted. For DX12 is another history: there is no bottleneck in the API. It is multithreaded API. Thats how AMD gains so much performance. Because the performance was always there, but was bottlenecked by software. End of story.

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
970 still beats the 380. The Killer Instinct graphs are for the 380X... different card...

AMD systems just aren't very good for much. The value you get is offset by poorer performance in all but cherry-picked benchmarks.

End of non-fictional story. (and my last comment since you aren't worth my time)

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
970 still beats the 380. The Killer Instinct graphs are for the 380X... different card...

AMD systems just aren't very good for much.
LOL. Yes, 340$ GPU beats 190$ GPU. By 6%. Both GPUs use similar amount of power. R9 380X is the same die that is in R9 380, but R9 380 is cut down. It is the same chip that is in R9 M395 and M395X from iMac.

No, no good. At all. Mindshare of Nvidia is strong. Unbelievable. I said that R9 380 is almost on par with GTX 970. Where I was wrong?

And you know what is funniest. R9 380X is still 100$ cheaper than GTX 970.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
For solely DX12 game, a mid AMD card should be a better choice then Nvidia card. Especially if we considering DX 12 is so new, AMD card most likely can have further benefit when the software is better optimised in the future.

On the Nvidia side, the GPU always perform regardless DX version (no bottleneck from the driver), so, it's hard to believe that the Nvidia card can get lots of performance boost from DX12 in the future. For Nvidia, you pay for it's driver, not the hardware, which is not the key factor in DX12.

So, if you want a GPU that can support DX12 but you still playing a lot of DX11 (or even older) games, Nvidia card still the better choice. But if you don't care about other games, and only want a card has best performance to cost ratio in your DX12 game. AMD is the way to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.