Dirt 2 on Retina MBP at 2880 x 1800

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aliennerd, Jun 19, 2012.

1. aliennerd macrumors member

2. mattonthemoon macrumors regular

mattonthemoon

Cool, how was the game play? in the video it's hard to see if it's stuttering or not.

3. lazer155 macrumors regular

Does it look noticeably higher quality to you now that you are playing it on the rmbp? Or is it about the same as before since it probably hasn't been updated for retina screens yet? It looks really good in the video. I'm interested in knowing if you experienced any lagging too.

4. aliennerd thread starter macrumors member

I didn't notice any stuttering or lag during gameplay. Previously I've played it on a Mac Pro at 1900 x 1200 on Apple 24" LED display so tricky to make a direct comparison but it's definitely sharper.

5. sacricide macrumors newbie

6. Fynd macrumors 6502

Is that the fans making the white background noise, or just the environment?

7. aliennerd thread starter macrumors member

Fans do get quite loud, I posted another clip here where I moved the phone nearer to the fans:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgQkuzCKLf0

8. Fynd macrumors 6502

Thanks. For reference, did you own a previous MBP and, if so, how does the fan noise compare? My friends use to have issue with my mic picking up the blazing fans and making a racket.

9. aliennerd thread starter macrumors member

The only other Apple laptop I've got is a 13" MacBook Core 2 Duo from a few years ago. I would estimate that the fans on the Retina are not quite as noisy as that was at full load, but difficult to say.

Oddly the fans were louder when I first ran Dirt at a lower resolution.

10. aliennerd thread starter macrumors member

Just tried a rally stage and there was some stuttering, not making the game unplayable but definitely not smooth.

One other slightly worrying thing, I played for 7 minutes and the battery dropped by 11%, is that normal, I haven't gamed on a laptop before?

11. Fynd macrumors 6502

I can chime in on that one: It's perfectly normal. In fact, don't be surprised to see your battery drained while you're plugged in and gaming.

12. aliennerd thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks Fynd.