Disable automatic downloading of iTunes Match songs on iOS

Discussion in 'Apple Music, Apple Pay, iCloud, Apple Services' started by Scriz, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Scriz, Nov 15, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2011

Scriz macrumors newbie

I'm playing iTunes Match songs on my iPhone 4s..so when I select a song to play it automatically downloads it while playing. I've made sure I am NOT pressing the cloud icon.

I'll play the song and skip to next song and go back, the little download circle comes up and it finishes. The cloud icon is now gone and I can swipe left on the song and select delete. This is very annoying. I don't want to download the song, I thought that was the whole point of the "cloud?"

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It is exactly what it is, did you not read the description of what you signed up for?

3. Scriz thread starter macrumors newbie

All of the videos that I see online only show it streaming from iCloud, not actually downloading from iCloud. Even videos FROM APPLE.

What if you have a 25,000 song library and go on a long drive. You shuffle your music and get to the max of your device of, we'll say a 16gb iPhone.

What happens after you fill up your hard drive with songs you didn't even know were automatically downloading from the cloud..no more music?? You have to self-police all of your music files to see which ones you need to purge before you can listen to a new song?

Something doesn't seem correct, to me, about that. For some reason I don't believe its supposed to automatically download.

4. WisdomWolf macrumors regular

It most certainly is supposed to automatically download. Apple has been adamant that this wasn't a streaming service. I suspect the reason has to do with licensing and RIAA nonsense regarding streaming services.

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I referenced Apple's official site where they explain what it is.

I can also reference common media outlets.
    http://allthingsd.com/20110830/apples-cloud-still-isnt-streaming/

I can lead you to the info, but only you can shed the ignorance and denial.

6. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Perhaps it is designed as intended, but his scenario brings up a good point. I wonder what happens too. If it says, cannot play new music, delete songs manually, then try downloading again... well then it will seem Apple didn't really think this through...

7. Scriz thread starter macrumors newbie

Menel, it was a simple question. Please don't be an arrogant prick-face ;).

I should have expected Apple to go completely against the grain, and thank you John. Atleast someone sees my point.

Now having used it for a short period I can see why Apple chose this. I, like most other Rhapsody/Spotify/Pandora/Slacker Radio users, get tired of losing a little bit of cellular signal and having the song stop midway through only having to close out of the music program and go back in and start the process all over again.

I was hoping for an Apple competitor to Google Music, but Apple is "different" in their business strategies.

8. milo macrumors 604

Where? The one quote here from apple DOES say streaming. If anything, Apple has been vague and a bit misleading about it.

And it absolutely IS a streaming service on macs and appleTV, the streaming is only disabled on mobile devices. I completely agree with the OP, it would be a nice improvement if they could either add a streaming preference to mobile devices or give the user the ability to choose between downloading or streaming a given song.

9. CyberAly macrumors newbie

Once you're done shuffling, go to Settings > General > Usage > Music and then swipe over and delete all of your music at once.

10. Frado macrumors member

Is there a way to disable the fact that the iphone downloads 3 songs when you only want 1? When I select a song to stream(and store), it also starts downloads for the next 2 items that come after this song. I want to disable this since I don't need that wasted bandwith and space.

11. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

This. I don't understand the logic of downloading to devices with limited storage space (iPad, iPhone, Touch) but streaming to devices (Macbook Air, Pro, iMac) with large storage.