Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liteshow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I do not use voicemail but find myself occasionally hitting the voicemail button my accident. the phone is on a prepaid plan, so I get charged for every outgoing call including voicemail access.

I searched around and found that it is possible to disable/remove the voicemail button in the built-in phone app in IOS 4, or by jail breaking and using the voicemailblock app.

However, I do not want to jailbreak and am using ios 6.0.1 on my 4s. would I still be able to disable/remove the voicemail button, or re-assigned the voicemail to a different number?

liteshow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
I hear you. Its a pain.
I wonder if you can edit some apn settings for the voicemail number that it dials out to retrieve the messages?

For a non JAIL Broken device, all I can think of is iPhone Configuration Utility. Went though all the settings, but there is no option to change the voice mail phone number. :(

Diseal3

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
For a non JAIL Broken device, all I can think of is iPhone Configuration Utility. Went though all the settings, but there is no option to change the voice mail phone number. :(

You can.

Verizon *71(phonenumberforvoicemail)
ATT- *5005*86*[YOUR VM NUMBER]#

Might have to do it from another phone and than swap sim back. But it does work on Verizon at least.

liteshow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
You can.

Verizon *71(phonenumberforvoicemail)
ATT- *5005*86*[YOUR VM NUMBER]#

Might have to do it from another phone and than swap sim back. But it does work on Verizon at least.

I am on Speakout 711 pay as you go in Canada. They use the Rogers Network.

liteshow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
mhmm did you try calling CS? I know here in the states they can change the voicemail forward number as well.

Guess I could try that. I would have to change the number to a number that does not cost anything - like their 611 number for example - if they would allow that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.