disabled iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duckman1968, Mar 25, 2013.

1. duckman1968, Mar 25, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

duckman1968 macrumors newbie

I have an iPhone 3G 8gb it is in disabled i want to put it in dfu so i can restore it but when i push the power off it dose not shut off and i try to slide to get to the keypad but that dose not work do i need to replace the screen?

2. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Hold the home and power button at the same time for a few seconds and see if that reboots your device

3. duckman1968 thread starter macrumors newbie

i trid but that don't work.

4. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

When you press the power button, does it put the phone into sleep mode? When you press the home button, does it wake the phone up?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sounds like it has many hardware issues if the touchscreen doesn't work and the power button doesn't either.
    Its an iphone 3G, I wouldn't bother spending money fixing it.
    Its a dinosaur.

6. duckman1968 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

7. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

Replacing the screen at this point is like doing heart surgery when all you know is that the patient is unconscious.

If the phone doesn't respond to a power-off attempt (power button does nothing), then the touchscreen is not the immediate problem. If the iPhone's system has crashed and needs to be reinstalled, or a component failed on the main circuit board, then even a perfect touchscreen won't work.

The same goes for the reset attempt (power and home buttons held in until Apple icon appears on screen), or a DFU attempt. None of these require a working touchscreen, so if those didn't help, then the touchscreen isn't the likely problem.

Before you tried to use DFU mode (usually, the "if all else fails" approach), did you try a regular Restore? Did you try to put the phone in Recovery mode?

What happened? (Or, what didn't happen?) Was the iPhone recognized by iTunes, or not?

Also, consider that there could also be a problem with iTunes software, or the sync cable, or any other number of things in addition to the phone. Can you successfully sync other iPhones/iPads/iPods to that computer, using the same cable? Have you tried restoring that phone using a different computer?

8. duckman1968 thread starter macrumors newbie

yes the cable is working ok

9. duckman1968 thread starter macrumors newbie

i think it the motherboard it wount even take a full charge

10. Mr Hill macrumors 6502

Sell it for parts on eBay. You should be able to get around $30 for it.