disadvantages of buying a MBP in the US (for a canadian)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hoverX, Oct 15, 2009.

1. hoverX macrumors member

Hi There,

I noticed that due to the change in the value of the Canadian dollar Apple products are a much better value in the USA at the moment. Is there any drawback to buying a Macbook in the USA and bringing it home to Canada? Could i still use applecare if i needed to?

2. Captain Planet macrumors 6502a

Captain Planet

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Well, you would legally be required to pay Canadian GST when you import it, but AppleCare crosses from the U.S. into Canada just fine. (At worst, you'd have to drive to the nearest U.S. Apple Store for help, if Apple.ca gives you trouble.)

4. fussyoldfart macrumors newbie

fussyoldfart

disadvantage of buying a MBP in the US (For a Canadian)

Glad to see that someone else has noticed that Apple hasn't kept up with the exchange rates. When they introduced a new iPod a few weeks ago it was priced correctly but they didn't make any other price adjustments.

There's no disadvantage to buying a Mac of any stripe in the US except that the tax you pay on crossing the border will be figured on the invoice price which also includes local taxes. So ... a little tax-on-tax.

Based on the iPod prices noted above I would wait for the introduction of the next new iMac or MBP or whatever. They will probably price it according to current exchange rates at that time. Then you can just call Apple Canada and tell them to send one. It's your money, spend it where it does you the most good.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

If you don't declare it at Customs, then no there isn't. There's absolutely no difference in the laptop, keyboard, etc. Even Apple's crappy warranty is valid in Canada, since it's a worldwide warranty. I've bought Apple products from numerous countries, and the warranty is always ok.