disappearance of events, photos and books on iPhoto11

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stephen.dwyre, Apr 19, 2011.

1. stephen.dwyre macrumors newbie

First off, I have tried to look for a solution on a number of forums, but to no avail. I migrated from 09 to 11 late last year some time with no issues. I now have about 35,000 pictures and recently added a further 2000 in a couple of new events. However, over the last couple of weeks I lost photobooks I had made and I realised that some of the events either dissapeared altogether or pictures previously in that event dissapeared from the gallery.

The pictures are still in the respective directory and are NOT deleted, but no longer visible either in "photographs" or "events". I have tried rebuilding the library through the iphoto application (alt + cmd) and with the help of the library manager tool, none of which did the trick. I added an event a couple of days ago, about 50 pictures, which now has dissapeared and it is starting to get to me.

If I use time machine to go back a couple of days and restore, will I loose the changes that were done in the meanwhile? I have seen similar problems with iphoto11, but not like this, this is starting to feel like windows allover again!

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I had a situation where my iPhoto library got corrupted. I decided to build the whole thing again. This time I put all my pics on an external firewire drive and I set iPhoto to not copy photos or videos to the iPhoto library. It didn't take as long as I thought it would and I now have meta information, faces, places, events, etc for about 100 gig of photos in a mere 5 gig iPhoto library. I think you can hold down option when launching iPhoto and tell it you want to use a different (or create a different) iPhoto libary. I suggest you spend some time recreating without copying original photos and see if it is going smoothly enough to consider abandoning the possibly corrupted library.

BTW I have not purchased iWork 11. I decided to skip this version when I read about data losses for people converting to iPhoto 11. One thing I can say is iPhoto should not be taking photos off your camera. iPhoto should not be the only place you store pictures.