Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
IMO internet explorer still takes the cake for the best web browser. safari does the opposite of what OSX does so well now, multitasking. i have to wait until one page fully loads before the next page can load. yes i still have dial up. also, on IE if you move the cursor over a link, the link will be displayed in the lower corner, safari doesnt do this and its a great feature.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Safari does need work, but its far better than IE for the Mac. I've encountered very few sites that don't work with Safari.

And to get it to show your links, simple enable the status bar under 'View'.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Re: disappointed in safari

Originally posted by slipper
also, on IE if you move the cursor over a link, the link will be displayed in the lower corner, safari doesnt do this and its a great feature.
Oh but it does! That is, if you have the status bar enabled.And it's not Safari's fault you have a slow connection, I have multiple pages loading all the time. Oh, and the load a hell of a lot faster than IE could ever dream of.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Re: Re: disappointed in safari

Originally posted by Counterfit
it's not Safari's fault you have a slow connection
sure thing, im sure the majority of web surfers still use dial up. ill slap myself on the wrist anyways since im to blame..

crxentric

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2004
Don't forget tabbed browsing

One of the coolest things that safari can do which explorer can't is tabbed browsing. It works especially well on a slow connection because you can load up many pages in the background while you read the first one and you don't have to worry about having many windows open. Another really cool feature is safari's ability to automatically block pop ups. In my opinion it wins hands down.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
yeah the block up feature is cool but ive had pop ups still pop up once in a while.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Safari really dissapointed me after using it for a great deal of time... I had to keep MSIE installed just to view some pages that Safari just couldn't handle...

Try out Camino, its worth the download :)
Been using it two weeks now without a hitch.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
Try out Camino, its worth the download :)
Been using it two weeks now without a hitch.
im impressed with camino, so far. im at a WIFI hotspot right now so ill be trying it at home soon.

kettle

macrumors 65816
Some people get upset when Safari won't display their favourite web site in quite the same way as IE will. The problem is unless Safari wants to follow and support the same path as IE, deep into the lungs of Hell, then it will carry on displaying malformed and crud levels of coding in unpredictable ways. In this situation Microsoft is deliberately making bad browsers inorder to steer control of web standards securely into their own hands.
Luckily, Safari is one of the good guys.:)

according to this surfin' safari weblog there are some good things in the pipeline for safari. Have a dig in the archives. :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
There is a valid point here. Safari will use at most 4 threads for network activity. This means that it will never have more than 4 active requests going at once. This is more of a problem on fast connections than slow ones. If you hit a page with lots of very small graphics it will request the first 4 and only request the next one once 1 of those is downloaded. It should use more threads if the connection will support it.

This effect is even worse if you are downloading files whilst still surfing. If you start to download 4 files you cannot open any more pages until at least 1 file has finished. Pretty poor.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
camino is awesome, it even has a bunch of great preloaded bookmarks that any mac user would appreciate.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
Since switching to Mac I have always used Safari, and I like it.

In particular:

The pop-up blocker works very well. So annoying at xmas when I used our home Windows PC a lot.

Google search is great.

Easy to use bookmarks. Never understood IE favourites.

I like the way web pages look like Mac OS X! In the Jaguar version of Safari (1.0) there is a bug which means it won't load secure sites behind some firewalls (like my uni one). This forced me to use Camino for these web sites. I like Camino, but I prefer the tabs on Safari, the brushed metal appearance (never thought I'd say that), and (VERY IMPORTANT!) the blue glow around text fields in Safari. In constrast, IE still uses Mac OS 9 buttons and fields!

Safari never quits on me (not once in Panther, used to occasionally in Jaguar) but it would be nice to get resumable downloads. Apparently Win XP sevice pack 2 this summer brings this funcationality to PC version of Internet Explorer. Hopefully Apple will add that (no offence to Download Wizard, obviously).

Also, IGN cube (games site), with all its complicated graphics and stuff gets me the beach ball of death in Safari, even on a fast connection. I agree about it needing better multitasking.

Other than that, I love Safari :)

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Originally posted by slipper
yeah the block up feature is cool but ive had pop ups still pop up once in a while.

i've never had a pop up since starting to use safari... could you tell me which site you went to that circumvented the pop up blocker?

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
Originally posted by robbieduncan
There is a valid point here. Safari will use at most 4 threads for network activity. This means that it will never have more than 4 active requests going at once. This is more of a problem on fast connections than slow ones. If you hit a page with lots of very small graphics it will request the first 4 and only request the next one once 1 of those is downloaded. It should use more threads if the connection will support it.

This effect is even worse if you are downloading files whilst still surfing. If you start to download 4 files you cannot open any more pages until at least 1 file has finished. Pretty poor.

Ah that would explain a few of the things I have encountered in a more logical manner. It seems a shame it should do this given the usefulness of tabbed browsing is that you can load lots of pages at once while reading another. I only really heard of tabbed browsing when I started using Safari, and I can't use browsers without it anymore. I use Firebird when Im forced to use a PC its great but just doesnt have the really nice feel of Safari that makes browsing so quick and enjoyable.

hobbes3113

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2002
NYC
The one thing that I would like to see integrated into Safari would be the ability to navigate (i.e. go back/forward) using a three button mouse, or even a one button mouse when the ctrl key is pressed as is possible in IE. Unfortunately, given Apple's stance on the multi-button mouse I don't see this happening anytime soon...

ionas

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2003
Old Europe
the engine behind safari is very good, maybe not the most extensible and best (i would consider gecko to be better) but one of the two best.

[mod. edit - Flames.]

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Re: where can i ignore, bash, kick, vote out ppl?

Originally posted by ionas
;p

sorry but u got following: no clue, no idea, no brain

;)

(i am flamey i know)

the engine behind safari is very good, maybe not the most extensible and best (i would consider gecko to be better) but one of the two best.

maybe you just dont know how to surf.

bye.

not sure if you are joking or not, but you'd better tone down. it's not necessary to put down others. if you are not interested in helping out, then don't post.

btw, of course safari engine is one of two best... there are only two major ones out there to begin with: gecko and khtml. (are there really no others?)

Maritan

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2003
I love Safari. Better than IE, and definitely the Mac version of IE.

However I have a couple of complaints:

1. Certain sites it won't load properly - even using the emulator in the Debug menu. For example - http://www.f1.com
Try it in Safari, and then try it in the Mac version of IE.
Safari also didn't let me join some group today on MSN. I had to fire up IE and then join the stinking group.

2. One thing I liked about IE on the Windows machine was that I could tab between buttons on pop-up questions. For example, when I log out of my email account, a dialog box asking me if I'm sure I want to log off comes up with 2 buttons - Yes and no. Now, on a Windows machine I could tab (using the tab key) between the buttons and hit the space bar to select the desired button. I didn't have to reach for the mouse always.
Does anyone know how to enable this feature in Panther?

Thanks.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Originally posted by Sabbath
I only really heard of tabbed browsing when I started using Safari, and I can't use browsers without it anymore.
dude try camino, it has tabbed browsing. when you do get it, dont forget to customize your toolbar and add the 'add' and 'close' tab icon to the toolbar.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Originally posted by hobbes3113
The one thing that I would like to see integrated into Safari would be the ability to navigate (i.e. go back/forward) using a three button mouse, or even a one button mouse when the ctrl key is pressed as is possible in IE. Unfortunately, given Apple's stance on the multi-button mouse I don't see this happening anytime soon...

get cocoa gestures. add whatever functionality you want.

peace.

apelet

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2003
Since nobody's mentioned it yet, you might also want to try Opera. It's very usable and fast, and has nice things like tabs and mouse gestures.

The Mac version is stuck at 6.02 or something right now, but is still very good. I've used Opera 7 on Windows a lot, and it is nicer looking, faster, and comes with a useful mail client, among other things. The Mac version is supposed to be out any day now (for the last half year, but betas have been sighted). It's free but banners will appear after a couple of weeks unless you buy the registered version. Try it out.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Originally posted by Maritan
I love Safari. Better than IE, and definitely the Mac version of IE.

However I have a couple of complaints:

1. Certain sites it won't load properly - even using the emulator in the Debug menu. For example - http://www.f1.com
Try it in Safari, and then try it in the Mac version of IE.
Safari also didn't let me join some group today on MSN. I had to fire up IE and then join the stinking group.

2. One thing I liked about IE on the Windows machine was that I could tab between buttons on pop-up questions. For example, when I log out of my email account, a dialog box asking me if I'm sure I want to log off comes up with 2 buttons - Yes and no. Now, on a Windows machine I could tab (using the tab key) between the buttons and hit the space bar to select the desired button. I didn't have to reach for the mouse always.
Does anyone know how to enable this feature in Panther?

Thanks.

prolly a "y" of "n"

I know "s" can be used for save and "d" (or cmd+d) for don't save.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I'm no fan of Safari but it's a better browser than Internet Exploder. e.g., certain pages show up blank after being built for quite a while. The only reason I have IE is because some sites require it.

jliechty

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2003
Seattle
As a recnt "switcher" the biggest problem that I have with Safari is the inability to simply e-mail a webpage to somebody, this seems like it should be the simplest feature to include. You should be able to go to services-mail-email page. What is apple thinking not including this???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.