Disappointed in the 'New' iPhone's design and screen? Here's what I think.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CallOfDuty, Aug 10, 2012.

1. CallOfDuty, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2012

CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

This is just what I think why the leaked design is real, and why you shoudn't be disappointed, and why its not an evolutionary update. I would like to highlight 2 main areas, and maybe possibly add in more.
    Warning: Super lengthy post. I spent an hour doing this thread.

[​IMG]
    Stainless Steel band (Antenna)

The thing I want to highlight here in this picture, is the stainless steel band around the phone. The iPhone, had the external antenna stainless steel band design since 2010, or since the iPhone 4. Apple designed the antenna is such a way that it is situated outside the phone, which is said to improve reception. That is true, especially many positive feedbacks about lesser dropped calls and that is of course if users don't strangle the bottom left antenna to death (Which I don't see why you should do that. ) for the iPhone 4. That problem has since been easily rectified in the next iteration (4S)

In Apple's perspective, Apple would want to maintain the antenna design. The antenna design is considered to be the epitome of how an antenna should be designed in such a way that it is practical, yet is not intrusive to the user. It is practical as in it improves reception, it is not intrusive in such a way that it will not affect the overall aesthetics of the device by much. That's why I think the antenna band design is still kept by Apple for the next iPhone.

When people say they're disappointed by the leaked iPhones, most of them were actually disappointed by the form factor (No teardrop?) And what gives the current iPhone its form factor? Mainly the back, and of course the stainless steel band. What I can say is when you ask for designs like that one below, you're actually asking for a design that had no practicality or advantages, perhaps only appealing to the eyes. You clearly can't place the external antenna to be as least intrusive as possible than the stainless steel band. How about a black bar at the back of the phone like the iPod touch? No.
    [​IMG]

When Apple designs a product, it make sures that it has the design appeal + has a certain functionality to it. And from the looks of it, the stainless steel design is here to stay.

Display, in relation to iOS

I'm sure you guys are very familiar with this. We all want a Longer and WIDER iPhone.
    Yes, personally, I would want a iPhone with a longer and wider screen size which makes the iPhone screen really look larger. But still, after I saw that Apple is going for the longer screen size, I thought for a while and realized it makes sense.
    [​IMG]
    This is the alleged iOS home screen with the longer display, as many of you might have saw before. If Apple makes the screen wider, it either has to make the icons bigger (What?!) to accomodate the extra width OR add a fifth row of icon vertically. So now, there are 5 rows of icons. Add in the longer dimension of the screen, Apple now has 5 rows of icons, with each row having 5 Apps. It would look VERY weird.
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the poor editing. Did it with a combination of MS paint and Microsoft word And there are duplicate apps of course. What do you expect from a 10 min job of MS paint? :eek:
    While you guys are complaining about how iOS looks plain with icons, adding the width with will only makes your mind spin and eyes blurred having to see more icons and boxes. However, by simply just making the iPhone longer, it does not create as much sense of clutter as much as an increased width and length would.
    And also, it seems like Apple would never add widgets to the iPhone. So increasing the display size dramatically to 4.3inches or so will only make room for more and more and more and more and more and more and more icons, sad to say.
    Of course, I'm not saying that an much bigger iPhone is in fact detrimental. In fact, its great for web browisng, watching videos, playing games and using apps. Of course, if you can do all that on a 3.5 inch screen perfectly fine, the additional space is only a bonus. Once you click the home screen back again, you will be facing the same clutter of icons that boggles your mind. That's what happened to me when I used the galaxy note of my friend's.
    [​IMG]
    The Galaxy note is one thing. If the iPhone decides to make the screen as big if not comparable to the note, it would be confusing. Why? iOS app icons are square and rounded, while the Galaxy note does not have square or rounded icons but instead has straightforward icons with no square outlines around it, which creates an empty space, reducing the sense of clutter. iOS simply does not cut it if they decide to stuff all the icons into a galaxy note like display.

And of course, Apple would want to make transition to a larger screen easier, so a longer screen is easier to manage than a wider and longer screen, not to say if you increase the width you would have to watch the dimension of the screen and the aspect ratio as well. This would make it more and more complicated.
    Increasing the width only is even weirder than simply increasing the length. Somehow, I feel that this would make the iPhone's screen abit blackberry-ish (Wider screen, shorter length).
    So while the best is to increase both the length and width, increasing the length now is the way to go, unless Apple finds practical way to increase both the width and length without adding more and more icons.

This thought on the screen size, is of course a little biased. I won't mind a constructive criticism.

UPDATE/EDIT:
    Here is a picture to justify my point:
    [​IMG]
    2nd Update:
    Revising my thoughts and to add in a few points, people have been proposing solutions such that no additional rows or icons can be made and the icons can be spaced out further just like the iPad.
    However, it isn't a solution.
    [​IMG]
    Again, apologies for the lousy piece of crappy editing done again by MS paint and MS word. Was tad lazy because of the heat, hence same icons for each row. But you get my point. And I'll take the cluttered one over this in my opinion.
    When you increase the screen size, its only natural that you put in more content with the extra amount of screen and space you have. But by spacing out the icons further away from one another, you're actually create a sense of emptiness. As in, your home screen would no longer look the same and now looks even more plain and boring with extra spaces in between. The trick to grid icon layout is to maintain a right amount of space in between the icons. Expanding and spacing them out too far away again affects user experience, so to speak.
    Also, if you make the icons bigger, you may end up with a nearly windows phone like icons and tiles. Enlarging the icons serve no purpose other than to make up for the extra unwanted space in between apps in not the way apple designs things. If they were to enlarge the icons, they would first have to make it has some form of function.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And if you refer to the image of the alleged iOS 6 and iOS 5.1 layout which I posted earlier (Scroll up), you realise you will much like the iOS 6.0 one with 1 extra row with equal and right amount of spacing than the iOS 5.1 with spaced out icons. Maybe its just me.

Again, when Apple does a design change, it usually has reason. For example, the new coloured bar on top of the screen which fits the app in iOS 6 is also a change to unify and enhance user experience.
    Also, apps experience. Apps is said to be able to display MORE content if you increase the length rather than the width. Take Safari for example. Would you rather sentences be displayed much longer with more words displayed to the sides with the extra width or would you rather Safari display more content and paragraphs of the webpage below it by increasing the length?
    And by the way, width is something you can't increase too much, lest you want the iPhone to become a blackberry.
    So therefore, be glad Apple is eventually said to at least increase the length, which still brings many advantages of a bigger screened iPhone. A wider iPhone is said to be even better, but it brings many flaws. A longer iPhone screen does not bring any flaw which I can think of.
    Unless you can correct me on this, I would stand by the fact that a longer iPhone is indeed better in the end, rather than a longer and wider iPhone- And the longer iPhone is all you will get.

2. tekno macrumors 6502a

That post is way too long. I only read a little bit.

I'm worried - I think it's a hell of a cop-out and the beginning of Apple's competition really pulling ahead.

3. CallOfDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

I kind of agree. :D I wanted to do a short and simple post, with my crappy edited photos, but can't resist and continued typing away, and got carried away

4. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Don't be worried. They have taken an amazing design and made it better.

Because its not dramatically different people aren't interested. So bizarre.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Frankly, for those "disappointed" in the "new" iPhone I say ... seriously wtf? Have you nothing better to do because being disappointed in a product that isn't even out yet is ridiculous.

6. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I'd say wait until the actual phone is released. Just like iPhone 4, the new design will blow away most people when seen in person and will make the older iPhone feel old instantly.

7. kyle! macrumors newbie

I wonder if on car forums people whine about Porsche not dramatically changing there design.

I feel like apple kind of has the same thing going, they have made a device that is instantly recognizable as an apple device. It is basically an iconic design and there seems to be no point in abandoning it completely.

8. CallOfDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

As much as I wanted to agree, its actually their choice whether they want to agree with the new design or not, real or fake. What's worse is that some of them are starting to have illusions that this particular leak is ostracised by Apple to distract people which in my opinion, is over reacting over one leak that you dislike.
    Abit biased here, but the reason why I say so is because I believe that those leaked designs and parts are indeed parts and the design of the new iPhone.

9. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

Exactly. A lot of money was most likely spent designing the 4 and for good reason. Its a bloody beautiful. :)

10. CallOfDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

Agreed. BMW didn't really need to change the design of their luxury car series by a lot, a yet people will still note the marked improvements and performance of the new BMW limousine.

What people want to see, is simply a DRAMATIC change. Change for change's sake is simply a NONO for a successful product. A design will run out for a particular product EVENTUALLY. It always happens. Imagine a scenario where you're a designer for BMW and designing their luxurious limousines. You've worked for about 10-20 years and people simply just want a radically new design every year, which you complied to. Now, you've simply ran out of ideas. What do you do? How about redesigning the limousine into a space ship? That would appease those who just want a change.

11. batting1000 macrumors 604

Agreed. It's ridiculous.

12. CallOfDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

You hit the nail right there! I can't imagine Apple dumping their million dollar antenna R&D for some full aluminium back which in turn removes the great antenna design which has practicality and still has some punch in aesthetics.

13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I agree, but it is the nature of the type of user on this Forum
    The emotional, psychological and social investment some folks have over a phone is incomprehensible to me
    It not only becomes a social status, is becomes a part of the identity and self worth

While I understand your point, the iPhone is not a car, so apples and oranges (no pun intended)
    Users have grown accustomed to manufactures pushing and not standing pat on designs to the point they not only expect it, they demand it

I agree there are some that are wanting these leaks to be a misdirection because they cannot accept this is the new phone
    The expectations of some users reaches fever pitch and the crash with disappointment
    Many were convinced of a total redesign last year and could not be swayed in that belief until the phone was released
    This year, in spite of overwhelming evidence, they resort to claiming they are an elaborate scheme to mislead

14. CallOfDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

I can imagine that.... Apple misleading the public by spending unnecessary $ and attention planning on a scheme.

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nor can I
    But that is the depth some sink to in order to hang on to the hope of something different

Personally, I love the iPhone 4s and design
    I am not too keen on the new leaked design, but it grows on you
    I will reserve judgement and see it in person when it comes out

I think the leaked design is what we will get and it will sell
    Some will be turned off, but meh, that always happens

16. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

The post length wasn't toooo bad. I think these are good thoughts on the new iPhone. What we fail to realize is that Apple puts A LOT of effort into these products. So when they increase the length of a phone it has to be for a good reason and they have to test the hell out of it to make sure it is on par or better user experience than the previous phone. Yes, I am giving Apple the benefit of the doubt here but I am going to look at the glass as half full. I have tried other phones and this is the one for me. So therefore I trust that they will get it right. They better. Dammit. LOL

17. CallOfDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

Update

Had a bit of spare time, so I updated my post and justified my point and created this 'render' *PS: 3 mins MS paint and MS word work*
    Surprisingly, my previous work resized perfectly and fitted into the 5 inch display of the Galaxy Note, such that it looks perfectly alright and fits well.
    [​IMG]

This will be roughly how a 5 inch iPhone look like...and how cluttered (in my opinion) and confusing your home screen may look when you stare into a 5 inch iPhone, or in other words, a dramatically larger iPhone. Thus, justifying my point that a longer iPhone is more practical.

I'm not trying to make myself look like the good guy while you guys are wrong, but this is just what I simply think. I would still gladly accept criticism, and correct me if I'm wrong.

18. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

To start, I love the iPhone 4/4S design, I do not mind this design being of the same form factor... My issue with it: Only making it taller, and the two toned back case looks super ugly IMO. I like the idea/concept of the unibody, just not the two tone.

I doubt Apple is misleading the public, but I hope they are, or I hope this is a prototype they considered, and that we will get something quite similar, maybe with more screen (@ 16:9).

BUT, if they are misleading the public... It will generate a TON of media coverage, "Apple uses misdirection to keep new iPhone a secret" will be all over the web and the news. I have already seen the purported model on TV in the news. It would be spending money for "free" advertising essentially.

19. vampireszombies macrumors 6502

This actually makes a lot of sense. I thought about this a little too; if Apple were to make the screen width slightly wider what are they going to do with the apps? Show another half a row of apps? or bunch them all together so they'll fit? Like you said, it'd be a mess.
    Now this longer iPhone is definitely making more sense to me and hopefully to more people. :)

20. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Here is what I do not understand... Why would you expect the icons to be that close together???

Are they that close together on the iPad??

21. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

I am wondering if Apple will do something with the extra space besides adding another row of icons. Maybe give us the option to put something else in the empty space? Of corse we don't know but are there any opinions on this?

22. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

My thoughts: If they made the iPhone into a 4.0", 4.1", 4.3" @ 3:2 Aspect ratio... The icon grid would not change, the icons would get slightly bigger, and slightly farther apart (they are not close together on the iPad)

----------

My friend works at an Apple Retail store, and those employees are told nothing, and do not know more than we do. BUT, he has worked at my local store for several years, so he has an slightly better understanding of their thought process and their planning. We both think there will be something big they will give us at the keynote, something they have kept under wraps thus far. I look forward to that (assuming there is something)

23. sk1wbw macrumors 68040

sk1wbw

Everyone bitches and whines about a new Apple product. Every single time. And then it sells out.

People bitched and moaned about the 4S, yet it sold out of its initial product run in two days, iirc.

24. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

Absolutely agree they are holding back something significant. But I don't feel a new way to use the extra space is a big enough selling point to hide from everyone. IMO

25. CallOfDuty thread starter macrumors 6502

Every iPhone keynote holds things significant :D