Disappointed iPod Touch owner

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fbboi999, Jul 28, 2008.

1. fbboi999 macrumors member

OK

I own an iPod Touch. I love it. BUT, with the 2.0 update it's practically unusable. Battery life sucks if you use applications, it crashes constantly, and I've had to restore it twice already (about to be 3 times, it's broken now too, hence the making of this board)

But my question is, do iPhone users have these types of issues with 2.0?

I could deal with relatively low service as long as I can call people (I've got WiFi at home), but I'd switch today if the crashing was not an issue.

I'm currently not AT&T, but again I'm willing to switch ASAP.

Besides the crashing, in general are you users happy with your iPhone 3G (with 2.0)?

2. cantankerously macrumors regular

I can deal with my 2.0 iPhone 3G. There are workarounds to the bugs until the firmware upgrade.

3. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

I think most of us are willing to "put up" with the crappy 2.0 firmware as oppose to Apple delaying the launch for another 1-2 months.

4. fbboi999 thread starter macrumors member

Well, the main issue I had in mind was the issue about crashing, then not loading past the Apple logo until a restore.

How common is that on iPhone?

5. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Very common. I had to reset my phone more than 20-30 times.

6. packetjunkie macrumors regular

Since I use my Touch for movies and music, battery life is very important. It does seem like I'm not getting the same amount of time since the upgrade even though I am using it the same way as I did before.

I need to hunt through the options and see what I need to turn off while I wait for an upgrade.

7. fbboi999 thread starter macrumors member

Great so we're all doomed until 2.1/2.0.1?

Wonderful.

8. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Damn, I guess I should count myself lucky. <knocks on wood> I've yet to have any issues on either one of my phones, save for the occasional well-documented slow-downs using SMS, ect.

Once we get the new firmware, everything will be fine though. :)

9. fbboi999 thread starter macrumors member

Good thing I have another contract to wait out anyway I guess.

:eek:

10. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

Unfortunately, this is the downside of opening up a platform to lots of options.

If you lock down a device, it may not be 100% crash proof, but at least you know that everyone has the exact same configuration and you can stabilize that pretty well.

Now, who knows who has what on their phone.

I doubt Apple is going to test every permutation of apps and usage to see what happens if.

I do like the options, but a little hit in stability seems inevitable.

11. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Those users who's first iPhone or iPod Touch experience is with 2.0, will be extra pleased, once the UI bugs have been sorted. The experience was a totally liquid smooth one with 1.1.4.
    I'd still take a buggy iPhone with 2.0 over any other phone's Win Mobile/Symbian interface. :D

12. fbboi999 thread starter macrumors member

I'm definitely not denying iPhone/iPod Touch's wide wide lead over the competition, I'm just VERY anxious for the bugs to be fixed in 2.0

13. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

I have both the 3G iPhone and a 32 Gb Touch. The 2.0 upgrade hasn'r effected my battery life at all on my Touch, I haven't had any stability issues since down loading and apps. Which apps have you downloaded? How much memory is left on your Touch?

As for my iPhone the only issue I've had is running Tetris which occasionally shuts down and kicks me out. Battery time on the iPhone is less than the touch but considering it running a lot more hardware that is to be expected. I've found that actually shutting it down and rebooting seems to address the Tetris issue.

I suggest that you add the apps back one at a time and use them for a while to see if there is a buggy app causing your problems.