Disappointed to the point of wanting a refund or change.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AlexM-1997, Jul 25, 2011.

1. AlexM-1997 macrumors member

"During December of 2010 i decided to switch from a Sony Vaio to a MacBook white for the first time ever, during the first few months i was pleased with my purchase however a few months in i began to notice that my £800 macbook white was not as "Revolutionary" and powerful as it was made out to be. I had noticed that my computer became slow occasionally even when playing small games such as Minecraft BUT also when performing the simplest of tasks would crash or take a relatively long time loading ( I am fully aware that computers have to load but it is too long often) i have also had several problems with pages and keynote often crashing with no warning loosing me around 1-2 hours of solid work swell (this is when i do not have any RAM eating applications open, The only thing i may have open when using keynote or pages may be Safari)

Another fault found is the battery life. Advertised at 9 hours it is often lasting around 5-6 hours (sometimes less) at the most while using only safari or similar applications. This is not the end to the list of problems, Since the "Update" from Snow Leopard to Lion i had noticed that my right click using two fingers on the trackpad had a 2-3 second delay. as previously mentioned that this computer is struggling to play small games (the reason why i am disappointed is because of the advertised specifications) since the update nearly all have became impossible to play due to the computer being slow or worse crashing.

Yes it does sound that I'm being picky but to say that i got the quality of a £500 computer for £800 and functions that are not %100 efficient its not right. I do hope that this will not be my last mac due to the quality and services of the seller. My laptop is still under warranty sue to the fact that i purchased it during the winter holidays 2010.

I would be happy to return my mac BUT exchange it for a refurbished low end imac and would put money towards it if the macbook did not cover it. (I am only wishing return it because i paid £800 for a computer so i expect it to be perfect. ( i am 14 so £800 is a MASSIVE amount to me (and anyone else i guess for that matter) especially as it took me a long time to get, this is the reason why i am making a big deal about my value for money)"

Could anyone tell me what my chances are of getting any kind of compensation. Its not like I'm going to get a refund and go to a different store, i would buy the refurb from the same branch that i bought my MB from.

(ALL of these problems listed are true BUT another secret reason is that i have discovered that the macbook is just not right for me i need a big desktop and i do not need the tiny screen (that has given me eye strain some times) or portability (21.5)

Anyone know of any other things to say to increase my chances?

(Edit) i have had this since christmas and using Snow Leopard

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

You will not get a return or exchange on a computer from 8 months ago. If you feel something is faulty, your best bet is to make an appointment at the genius bar and see if there actually is a problem. You're within warranty, so faults should be covered.

Also, you seem to have some misconceptions, like with Minecraft. It appears to be a small game, but it's much more intensive than you think.

3. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Minecraft is not a "small game". The default configuration for the client will consume all of your RAM and more.

I have been using MacBook since 2006. I have seen a system crash exactly once, and maybe three app crashes. Needless to say, if you are having consistent crashes and slowness, it is not the hardware or OS.

It also sounds like you need 4GB of RAM for your needs.

4. AlexM-1997, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

AlexM-1997 thread starter macrumors member

So i guess I'm stuck with this for around 3-4+ years... (not that i don't appreciate the fact i have a mac)

and no i can't take it to a Genius bar because I'm no way near one

5. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

What EXACTLY are your issues? Don't elaborate, leave out the superfluous emotion and fluff. If you can be specific, we can help determine if it's a fault or you're just expecting too much.

6. AlexM-1997 thread starter macrumors member

The fact that the battery life was advertised at 9 hours I'm getting 5-6 most with just safari open and brightness 3/4 way, Things in general just were not as good as i expected (all since lion) lots of slow moments app store bounces for about 20 seconds etc etc

7. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I don't think you realize the effect that brightness has on the battery. Turn the brightness down and you'll see a substantial increase.

8. TwoScoops macrumors newbie

Apple promises up to 9 hours. You will only get 9 hours with screen brightness at a minimum, no bluetooth or Airport on and running very basic tasks like TextEdit.

9. AlexM-1997 thread starter macrumors member

Who actually does that (screen minimum) come on apple be realistic.

10. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

Do you have Adobe Flash Player installed? That will cut down battery life just with everyday web browsing.

Again, it sounds like you need a RAM upgrade. Check Activity Monitor under the memory tab for "swap used".

11. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I do, most all the time. I see no reason to crank up the brightness to near max unless I'm outside, for example. It's a trade-off — if you want the screen aas bright as possible, you're going to lose battery life. Sorry.

12. AlexM-1997 thread starter macrumors member

So really i should have got an iMac in the first place seeing as i have to already upgrade my RAM at around £80 and that i don't need to small size and portability of a macbook. Oh well whats done is done.

13. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Perhaps next time a bit more research would be warranted before plunking down that amount of money.

14. AlexM-1997, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

AlexM-1997 thread starter macrumors member

ACTUALLY i researched for around 2 months and i asked the guys at the Official retailers and they said that it is great and runs very fast, and mentioned how GREAt the battery life is. i also asked my friend who has a iMac (the white one thats quite square, i think the G5) and he said that by looking at the specs it would be good and pretty powerful. Also i look at countless videos on youtube for reviews.

That was the only one i could afford at the time.

(Edit) I also went to the apple retailer about 3 times and thought that it was a good choice.

And i suppose that i title the topic wrong. What i am trying to say is it is not what i expected and i would like to swap for an iMac. :apple:

15. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

6 hours with the brightness at near max? That sounds pretty damn great to me.

16. AlexM-1997 thread starter macrumors member

Ok i guess its just me being new to computing, i just asked my mum and she said that ALL computer batteries are advertised to the maximum life but doing the littlest things. I was expecting apple to do it for the average user (how stupid was i)

Ok Plan B: What is the best way to make my computer more powerful.

Anything aside from RAM?

and am i right that if i was to use 2x2GB ram sticks then i would not be getting 4gb i would be getting something like 3.6-7gb? ( i read this somewhere but not sure where)

17. DJinTX, Jul 25, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011

DJinTX macrumors 6502

You may have some tech issues here, but I do not believe your battery is one of them. 6 hours is pretty good for what you are doing. Here is what you are missing...

From a marketing standpoint, I think you'll agree that Apple has to come up with some way to give an estimate of battery life so that customers will know what they are buying.

There are many ways to go about determining this estimate. I use my MacBook for certain things for certain periods of time under certain environmental conditions that are likely very different from your usage, and different than just about every other user. We all have very unique usage needs.

Given this disparity, Apple has some options...

1. They can give a worst case scenario, running multiple processor intensive tasks simultaneously which would drain the battery faster. Of course this would be inaccurate for most users and make their computers sound worse than they are, not to mention screwing their sales

or

2. They can give a middle ground estimate, basically what most users should get under normal/moderate usage. The problem is that moderate/normal usage is impossible to define. Your middle ground and mine, and everyone else's are going to be different considering the different habits of users

or

3. They can opt to give the best case estimate when the screen is dimmed a bit and not much is running or being processed. This provides a good starting point or baseline that any user can achieve and then adjust as they see fit to impact their own individual battery life.

It would make no sense to go with anything but option #3.

As for swapping for an iMac, Apple will not be able to help you with that. You can however sell your MacBook, and then put the money toward a new computer. Macs have great resale value, so that is a plus.

18. AlexM-1997 thread starter macrumors member

Just out of interest someone mentioned about resell...What price would you be estimating it should be getting.