Disappointment turned into success. Share my success til Apple Store closes tonight!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RiceRacerDX, Jun 24, 2010.

1. RiceRacerDX macrumors 6502

Alright I know this won't benefit anyone else except for those in the Pacific time zone. I would've posted earlier, but I just got home.

So today, I got in line at the Apple store in the mall at 2a and to my surprise, I was the first car to pull up. Mall security drove by and told me that no one is allowed on mall property until 4 so I went across the street to find about 20 other cars that got the same lecture. Anyways, I went back across and out of nowhere, about 100 cars flocked to the parking lot and everyone ran to the front door. I got discouraged from the number of people and decided to try other places without any luck.

So I decided to return to the mall and take my chances. I got back a little after 5 and the line had grown even more. I stood in line and waited with my girlfriend who wanted a 16gb, and I wanted a 32gb. At about 11:30 am we were about 10 yards from the Apple store entrance when the man who looked like he ran **** came out and told us all that all the 32gb iPhones had been sold out and that they had plenty of 16gb iPhones. I was only going to settle for a 32gb and nothing less.

After talking to several employees, two of them told me that the pre-ordered iPhones which were not picked up by 9am (closing time) would be forfeited for those customers and be sold for walk-ins tomorrow at 7am. He told me to check back around closing time to see if they would have any 32gb iPhones in stock. I decided to drive back to the store and waited until 8:58pm and walked up to an Apple employee and told them that I was told to come back around closing time to see what forfeited pre-orders they had for the walk-ins. He told me he had a 32gb iPhone and I asked if I could just buy it right then instead of having to wait another day. He agreed! So I am now the proud owner of a 32gb iPhone 4! I was disappointed twice today: no white iPhones and no 32gb iPhones after waiting for hours for one. But in the end, I am another satisfied customer.

In conclusion, I hope my novel that I have written helps someone in the Pacific time zone who experienced the same issues as I did or others who want to brave the lines tomorrow morning. There is still hope to score one today or even early tomorrow and if you do, please report back to this thread and share your experience.

Cliff notes:
    -waited in line from 5a-1p
    -store ran out of 32gb iPhones
    -Apple employees said to return at closing time to discuss their available inventory
    -Pre-orders not picked up today will be forfeited for walk-ins tomorrow
    -Returned at closing time and walked out with a 32gb iPhone

2. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

'Grats dude! Enjoy. I went the 32 GB route this time as well. :)

3. kallyq macrumors regular

4. spyda macrumors 6502a

spyda

lol.

5. RiceRacerDX thread starter macrumors 6502

Seriously dude, it was like Braveheart and 300 when it happened...

6. Built macrumors 68020

Congrats, man! Your tenacity paid off. :)

7. nooaah macrumors 68000

nooaah

I can see myself running out of space if I start taking videos. I can't wait for 64GB next year. Assuming the chips are viable.

8. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Nice story. Your persistence paid off. I'm sure it was worth it!!

9. RiceRacerDX thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone. All the waiting and persistence has really paid off. This i4 is truly a work of technological art. I'm loving every bit of it!

10. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

i really question this whole "reserve" system. once the store runs out of walkins they dont even check names on reserves anymore. I walked in today around 5. said I had a reserve he asked what size I told him and he got the phone. never even asked for my name. Obv he looked at my ID when checking me out but it had nothing to do with the reservation. When I reserved my ipad my name was on the box. not so with the iphone. so if you want to be a dick just walk in and say you have a reservation haha. theres a chance it could work.

11. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Yeah, honestly I think they were supposed to check me when i went into the line. I didn't know thta and just headed to the reserve line (guess they didn't notice me waltz over). I didn't realize that until the guy getting my phones was about to check me and said, "Oh wait, they did that out there." I was a bit confused and after a few minutes was like, "I don't think they did." He kinda shrugged it off (I guess he figured if I was questioning it I wouldnt' be lieing if I was pushing to get checked).

Oh well, I got my and my roommate's phone and I know we reserved them so we didn't "steal" anyone's reserved phone. But if that was how lax it was, I wonder if people going to my store who went late found out their reserved phone got sold (and *this* is why I insisted on going in the morning rather than late at night despite having a reserve).