Disbale LEDs of external WD My Book Studio Edition

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by .chris., May 12, 2009.

1. .chris. macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I am a frequent guest on this board and bought my first MBP two years ago. To set up TimeMachine, I just got this new hard drive:
    http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=374

It works flawlessly and is quite fast with FW800. However, I only have it for two hours now and already find the flashing white LEDs really annoying. They distract me from working. I could use tape to cover the LEDs, but it would not look good and there would still bright light when it's dark in my room because I can't cover all of the smaller openings. I googled for a solution to disable the LEDs but only found this:
    http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/leds
    Obviously, this is for the network edition only, you would have to set up a php-server and so on... to be honest, I don't know a thing about that stuff.

Isn't there just some simple script that lets you disable the LEDs? Perhaps even a firmware mod.

Thank you :)

2. retroneo macrumors 6502a

Unscrew it and unplug the LEDs. Screw it back together. Done. 5 mins tops.

3. .chris. thread starter macrumors newbie

There are no screws. It's one of those enclosures with lots of plastic hinges. There are guides how to open it, but I did not accomplish it yet...

4. slothrob macrumors 6502

It's too bad there isn't an option to disable these LEDs through software.
    They really can be pretty distracting and are another contributor to that estimated 22% of electricity that we waste with devices that continue to consume power in standby.

5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Open it and unplug the LED (or cut the wire).

I've opened a few NAS type devices and they're all similar. A HD, a power board, and a circuit board, with a few wires going to this and that. (sometimes the power board is integrated with the circuit board.)

6. .chris. thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree with you in every aspect.

I see that cutting the wire is the easiest solution to this. However, I spent an hour trying to get the HD open without damaging it and just was not successful in doing so. It would void the warranty, too. I hoped that I could just do this via a little software trick.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Why don't you put it in the closet and run a longer cable?

8. johnnj macrumors 6502a

These things are somewhat of a pain in the ass to open, but not impossible.

If you have the plastic tool used to crack open an ipod to replace the battery, you can do it without damaging the case.

I opened mine to put a different drive in the case.

The LED's are surface mounted on a PCB with a connector cable.

However, you might be better off just putting the drive behind your monitor or something. A piece of gaffer tape or a couple of pieces of electrical tape could also do the trick with a lot less effort. I don't know how many pieces of electrical tape are stuck on various home theater components I have, due to obnoxiously bright LEDs.

John

9. MTI macrumors 65816

Tape works wonders on those annoying "Check Engine" lights in cars too. :D

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Ditto. I especially hate the ones that have moving lights or flashing lights. Hello? You go under my TV. Stay quiet. Don't shout at me. I want to watch TV not look at your pretty flashing / moving lights.

Smoke alarms with tiny flashers that flash every 3 minutes or so drive me crazy when I'm trying to get to sleep in hotel rooms.

11. MTI macrumors 65816

I usually sleep with my eyes closed . . . no problems withe LEDs. :cool:

Back on topic . . . wouldn't a black Sharpie or "goth" style nail polish serve?

12. .chris. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks John. I will try this.
    In regard to the other soultions offered such as putting it in a locker etc., I must say that I'd like to solve the problem "at its root" and just get rid of the darn LED :D

13. joaoferro99 macrumors member

I am sure they can modify firmware to work with LED signal. It's very very easy job, but they will have to have the source code of the firmware. Most of their products are oem and they obtain chipsets from PLX, which bought Oxford.

14. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Ok, good luck, man.

Remember... if you break it it's not my fault!

John

15. .chris. thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, I was able to open the drive with my Miles & More card :D

Unfortunately, the six LEDs cannot just be unplugged or are connected to a wire that I could cut. As you can see in the pictures, each little bulb has its own conductor. Is it safe to cut all of them or do you think this might affect any other function on the plate. Maybe another chip is powered through the very wires I am going to cut?

Or would it perhaps be the safest method to just cover the lights with a lot of hot glue and black tape?

Attached Files:

• WD 1.jpg
      WD 1.jpg
      File size:
      395.2 KB
      Views:
    • WD 2.jpg
      WD 2.jpg
      File size:
      484.2 KB
      Views:
  16. johnnj macrumors 6502a

Interesting... yours looks different inside than mine. The one I have is a few years old, though.

I'd just use electrical tape to cover the LED's themselves. It'll have the same effect as disconnecting them and the outside will look clean.

Damn LEDs.

17. .chris. thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried that but then I suddenly ran out of tape. Two layers weren't enough. Bummer.
    So I opted the hardcore method and simply cut every second wire to the LEDs. Works fine and now there isn't any light at all. So for all of you who feared cutting the wires might lead to a malfunctioning drive: Go for it. It will void your warranty, though. But I rather sleep well in a dark room :)

Thank you for your help.