Carrier "Discount for mobile share value savings"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zorinlynx, Apr 26, 2014.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I'm worried that this $15 "discount" may be temporary. Anyone know why it's being shown as a discount instead of the device fee simply being $25?

One nice thing is with this new plan my bill actually went DOWN. That's the first time in... forever!

Attached Files:

2. jca24 macrumors 6502a

jca24

Mine is the same. This is not a temp discount. I would bet it is either ATT's antiquated billing system where they can't just change the device fee to $25 or they just show it as a discount until you upgrade with a 2 yr contract or next plan which would cause your device fee to go back up. My bill went down too! I never though I would see the day.

3. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

They probably do this on purpose to make the customer feel like they're getting a deal. Instead of just showing $25, they post it as $40 with a discount to show the savings.

4. C DM macrumors Westmere

Even Verizon does it this way too. Probably so they wouldn't have to create some new pricepoints for lines and switch to that and just use the usual prices ($40) and then apply an appropriate discount onto those, given that the discount can potentially be different as well depending on how much data the plan allows for and all that.

5. SuperTango macrumors newbie

Ok, this thread is a little old, but i was just looking at this for an iPhone6 upgrade. the $15 discount is a grandfathered in discount. If you upgrade your phone and are on the 2 yr contract, you lose the discount. You get to keep the $25/mo access rate if you go to the ATT Next plan.

I found this in the fine print of the "mobile share value plan" page (https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/data-plans.html, e.g. signing up for a new plan), the fine print for "Step 2 (access charges): Add smartphones to your plan" says: