Discounts on new AT&T shared plans?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FortWorthMac, Aug 12, 2012.

1. FortWorthMac macrumors 6502a

Has anyone spoke with Att in regards to the shared data plans and FAN discounts? Just wondering if they will be eligible for the discounts too?

If so, it's starting to sound a little more enticing.

With two iPhones I'm paying about 160/month and a LTE iPad, 30/month.

Thanks
    David

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I called a local office the other day, and they said they wouldn't know anything until the plans rolled out.

3. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

I spoke to an AT&T rep about it through AT&T's chat support option. She told me the FAN discount would apply to both the DATA plan and the line who holds the fan discount.

Example:

4 GB Plan: $70
    Smart Phone: $40
    Smart Phone: $40

20 % Fan Discount: 20% off of $70 and $40

$150 with 20% FAN Discount becomes $128.

4. aneftp macrumors 601

I highly doubt the 1GB ($40) will have the fan discount. Just wanted to point that out.

5. FortWorthMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Might be enough to finally give up my unlimited account, especially it includes tethering.

6. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

They told me the FAN discount applies to the account hold who applies the discount for any service that is $25 and up.

So on my current plan, the FAN discount applies to the data ($25) and calling plan ($40), but not my messaging plan ($20) because it is under $25.

This all came straight from an AT&T billing and sales rep (Corporate). So I assume she is correct, but we will see.

7. citivolus macrumors 6502a

is that how it works on Family plans now, meaning the entire FAN doesn't apply to the whole bill, just one of the lines?

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

*****​

I just got off of the phone with AT&T's FAN Support (corporate line): 1-877-290-5451.

The gentleman said that the FAN discount would apply ONLY to the primary voice line. He even emphasized that the discount would NOT be applied to text or data charges.
    [​IMG]

...so what I'm getting from that conversation and the above example (from "Ma Bell's" webpage) is that a 15% FAN discount for this $170/mo. plan would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $5.25 (15% of $35).

Thoughts?
    -Will

9. WesCole macrumors 6502a

I just called as well and was told that the discount applies only to the data portion...for example, you would get 20% off of $90 if you got the 6GB plan...you would still pay full price for any device you add.

Edit: After I did the math, I would end up paying about $30 more per month than I am now for the exact same features (minus tethering)...so if you use tethering a lot, it might be worth it :)

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

From this thread I have thus far concluded that there is no conclusion. Nearly everyone here claims to have been told something different. :confused:

11. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yup! Apparently they have too many people working I've in the "How can we best screw our customers over" department working on FaceTime issues when they should be making sure their customer service reps know what the hell they're talking about. Absolutely ridiculous.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

While I agree with you about the chaos, this has nothing to do with the "screwing people over with facetime" department. This is largely how these companies, not just AT&T, operate.

13. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

That is the way Verizon is doing as well. Considering the shared plans are almost mirror images I would be shocked if this is any different. The regulators can say what they want, they are in collusion.

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

...yeah...that was in jest amigo....

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Misread the meaning then. :rolleyes::cool::p These guys do wonders in helping others interpret the tone behind your typed words. :)

16. bohbot16, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

The new plans launched today.
    I logged into my company's Premier page, which shows how the FAN discounts get applied, and it's getting applied to only the shared data portion of the account, not to any of the per-line fees.

17. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Thanks for the update.

This probably assures I won't be moving to the new plans. I had done the math earlier and it worked out to me paying $11 more per month AND giving up 600 MB of data.

I was briefly considering that terrible deal so I could at least get tethering.

But if this is true it's probably going to be more like $22 more per month rather than the $11 I originally predicted.

Oh well. Thanks for the warning.

18. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Checked and my FAN only applies to the data portion and NOT the smartphone part :( My two unlimited data and 1000 text line costs $100 (exc taxes) would go to $141 with the only benefit being getting a hotspot.

19. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

Even though I may be throttled after 3gb on the "unlimited" plan, I get my FAN discount on the plan. I will not get it on the 3gb tiered data plan. That is why I have never left it, despite tethering.

20. Markiie macrumors 6502

Markiie

21. nutmac macrumors 68040

AT&T Mobile Share includes WiFi hotspot and tethering.

As for the FAN discount, it depends on the agreement your employer has with AT&T. In most cases, it will be applied to data portion and not the access cost.

"Switch to AT&T Mobile Share" page does not yet reflect FAN discount. You will need to contact AT&T agent for specific discount details.

22. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

reading this thread confused me even more lol I will go with the 10gb plan for $120 and i have a total of 6 lines for $30 each.

does that mean the discount will only apply on my main line for 120 plus 30 discount being on 150? or just on 120?

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

From the sound of those talking to actual reps now that it's live, only on the main data line $120, unless your company/institution has another arrangement.

24. bohbot16 macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

Just the 120.

25. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Just got off with AT&T and of course I was told something else.

So I was looking at the 10GB plan which is 120, plus my 3 iPhones. A total of 210. The FAN will only be applied to the 3 $30 dollar iPhone add-ons. The 120 for the plan itself will not be discounted.

My FAN now discounts the primary line with text and unlimited data, and the additional two iPhones with unlimited data. Essentially I would be saving $15 a month because of my FAN with the new plans, instead of $37 that I am currently saving now with a regular plan.

AT&T is really out to screw people. I've always stood behind them as a carrier because I never had problems and for our loyalty we are being screwed over.