Discouraged with how I was treated by Apple Care. Who can I talk to?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jmack007, Jul 19, 2017.

1. jmack007 macrumors newbie

I don't want to turn this into a long post, so I will avoid unnecessary details. The short version is that I bought one of the new 5k Mac's with the Thunderbolt 3 ports back over a month ago. Overall it works great, but it does have some very odd compatibility issues with certain TB3 devices that work perfect on my MacBook (late 2016 w/touch bar).

I have talked to multiple Apple Care agents, senior agents, ones that work data gathering, etc... The end result, weeks and weeks of Apple calling me directly asking me to screen share, plug in the devices (I have 6), run a system diagnostic for each device separately (really really long process), run other programs they sent me and upload everything for the Apple engineers.

In-fact, the engineers actually asked me to take my camera and physically record myself plugging in the devices and to show the result.

Long story short. I spent 10+ hours on the phone and screen-sharing helping Apple gather information to fix this problem in the future. Later, update to this beta and repeat, over and over. The result? "We don't know when it will be fixed, so please return the iMac and here is a coupon for $100 off your next purchase. The coupon doesn't work on most items, including iPads.

I really feel discouraged that I was used as a science experiment and their solution is to have me return the iMac and for my lost time, a coupon that doesn't work on anything.

Really its super discouraging, I really do like the iMac other than its issues. Who, in your experience, is the person / department I can talk to about my concerns?

TL;DR. New iMac issues, 10+ hours of Apple using me to gather data for engineers to fix TB3 issues in future release. No solutions. Asked to return iMac and given a $100 coupon that doesn't work on anything. Who can I talk to for a better solution?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Disgusting. They offered to return/refund your faulty product AND give you credit? Now that's poor service.

Shame you got screwed over so hard. Normally most people get a backrub on top of that and a hand-written apology from Tim Cook. I was lucky and got the "Jony Ive narrates your life for a week" package, so I'm really gutted to hear about your painful experience.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

4. jmack007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your valuable input on this matter.

5. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

You sure it wasn't more along the lines of: "If you want to return it, feel free, we're not sure when this will be resolved, additionally we can give you $100 off a different machine".

I mean, if this is some kind of deep, OS related issue, then what is your expectation for a response on their end?

6. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

What else were you expecting? They offered a return/refund for your troubled Mac and gave you a $100 credit. That’s more than some retails would do in this situation.

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Good luck. I don't bother getting AppleCare anymore because "Care" was missing from AppleCare when I needed repairs.

8. jmack007 thread starter macrumors newbie

There are two issues here.

1) Time is money. If it was AppleCare helping me resolve an issue, I can understand that. However, since it actually Apple asking ME for information (system dumps, logs, etc...) to improve future compatibility with TB3 devices and that I physically spent more than a full day of work on the phone helping Apple get information for their engineers, it's reasonable to expect some type of real compensation.

2) It's not a $100 credit, its a worthless coupon.

Since I used my education discount to buy the machine, I can't even use this coupon to get an extra $100 off. What about getting a new iPad, forget about that too.

9. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have read your posts, and I think you have been very selfish. And it is the selfishness that has led you to be disappointed / angry with Apple, because Apple didn't act in the manner you expected.

In my opinion, Apple held to their high standard, and did what could be done at the time, to remedy the situation for you and others (down the line). And as you experienced, sometimes solutions can take a while to achieve.

1. Apple didn't have to offer you a full refund.
    2. Apple didn't have to offer you a $100 dollar credit.
    3. Apple didn't have to work with you like they did for many hours.

Apple could have left you holding the proverbial bag, (as it were) without any real response at all.

The problem isn't with Apple. If you want to be disappointed and angry with someone, start with you and your ungrateful, selfish attitude.

10. jmack007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your valuable input on this matter. Especially the 'ungrateful, selfish attitude' part ... You make it sound like I am complaining about some free gift I was given.

Honestly, this is something I don't like about online forums. Maybe my choice of words can improve, but it's not so easy to express feelings through a post. I am far from angry, I believe discouraged is the word I used.

Apple is an awesome company and I wouldn't own so many of their products if I was angry with them. Unlike my past 15 years owning their products, this is a first time I have no been happy with the support received. If you think that's selfish, well, there is a reason I buy Apple products instead of MSI, Asus and Dell. I pay a premium, not for MacOS, but for Apple's amazing tech support.

11. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

You have been complaining. You seem to feel Apple owes you more than what it has done thus far. In my opinion, you are wrong on many levels.

Apple went above its own return policy, by making an exception for you. And with all that Apple tried to do with you and for you, you seem to feel slighted. You created the thread to voice your disappointment and ask who you can voice your concerns to. You also made a point to call the coupon you got worthless.

You may not like it, but your posts are indicative of what I stated.

Apple has been unable to find the bug(s) causing the problems you have had with your machine. It may take a while longer for them to find and fix them. Apple doesn't owe you money for the time you spent trying to help solve the problems you were having.

Are you really going to contact Tim Cook, or someone else, and voice your concerns about how you feel you were shortchanged, even though Apple made exceptions for you, and gave you the coupon?

Your words are there for all to see.

"...to improve future compatibility with TB3 devices and that I physically spent more than a full day of work on the phone helping Apple get information for their engineers, it's reasonable to expect some type of real compensation.

2) It's not a $100 credit, its a worthless coupon."

Once again, Apple didn't owe you anything before, past honoring its written policy, and it doesn't owe you anything now.

12. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

EXACTLY! Coupled with jmack007's specific about testing for future third party compatibility ... more on this in a moment.

jmack007 ...

Ask yourself ...

how did Apple fail you on providing their amazing tech support?
    - they went OVER and ABOVE in providing Hardware and Software (OSX and drivers) for 3rd party products they do NOT manufacture.

I'll agree that the time consumption for: screen sharing, plug in the devices (I have 6), and running a system diagnostic for each device separately, along with running other programs they sent me and upload everything for the Apple engineers is time consuming ... but guess what THIS IS TECH Support at it's finest. THEY invested significant time and resources in YOU a valued customer!! Let this sink in for a moment.

> they could've dusted you off jsut like MSI, Asus and Dell would have and said contact teh other 6 device manufacturers for support after 1 hour and screen sharing.

The part I do NOT like is you having to RECORD yourself pluggin in the hardware as if calling you a liar! THAT was uncalled for and downright insulting! THAT I'll agree should've never been done or netted you something, not a larger credit but maybe extended AppleCare+ warranty or something. Not to the extent you're expecting.

13. jmack007 thread starter macrumors newbie

You make some valid points. But, there are a few things to keep in mind.

When it comes to connecting the iMac to an external monitor via HDMI / DP, Apple only has the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. Like others, I run 4k monitors and this adapter can only handle 30Hz at 4k. Apple does not have a first party adapater that can handle 4k @ 60Hz. This is why on their support page it says:

So in this situation, in order to use a feature that is right on the iMac product page (external 4k displays), I have to use 3rd party products, there is no other option. I asked Apple directly, 'which are the 'Supported Adapters' for 4k@60Hz?' And the reply was ... 'Since the iMac was just released, we don't have a list yet.'

So, sure, they did their best to help me, however, the system dumps, videos, screenshares, etc... are really helping the engineers build driver support for these 3rd party 'Supported Adapters'.

Another thought. HTC Vive support is also shown on the iMac product page. However, to use the Vive with HDMI, I can't use a 1st party cable, since the AV Multiport can't handle 2160×1200 @ 90 Hz.

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Question for @jmack007

Is this a problem unique to your iMac or has this problem been replicated across other iMacs of the same model?

If Apple engineers weren't aware of this issue, it's likely the problem is unique to your computer. Return the computer, buy another one, and use the coupon to save $100 (if applicable).

I guess the other question is what do YOU think Apple should do to rectify this problem?

15. Melrose, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017

Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I'm not sure exactly what your complaint is: You have AppleCare, you got service, and when due process for troubleshooting didn't work Apple offered to give you a full refund AND A COUPON. I've had good experiences with AppleCare and they've never offered me actual credit.

How is this not standard practice? Did you receive unbelievably good support at a competitor and have higher expectations from Apple? What exactly were you expecting to receive, $500? $5,000? A free vacation? A personal apology? Getting invited to the Ives's for dinner? Free iPhones all around? A huge paycheck because it soaked up your time? How do you think the troubleshooting process really works? Are you willing to deal with the frustration of receiving less helpful care if they didn't gather as much information as they could about a problem? Do you really think Apple wasted their time just to mess with you? If you expect some sort of equitable remuneration for your valuable time, are you willing to likewise compensate Apple since it was out of their control as well? Do you think Apple should give things away simply because they're a successful company? If they met your high expectations, would you be willing to pay the significantly higher end prices when they dole out that level of support & compensation to every customer?

Were you expecting sympathy in this thread, or just wanted to vent? Maybe wanted to aimlessly rant? Were you hoping to unite some consumer peons under your banner and start a class action suit? Wondering if anyone else has similar problems? Or if there's a secret number you can call to get an AppleCare technician that will solve all your problems? Are your expectations this high when you buy a new car? When pursuing relationships that don't work out?

You were covered by AppleCare, you got service, they couldn't figure it out so they offered you a refund and gave you a coupon. That's pretty fair, and it's a damn sight better than you'll get somewhere else.*

My post, believe it or not, is not meant to be condescending or snarky; I'm trying to get you to think about it, that's all. Unless you've withheld some details, your complaint is illogical - frustrating for sure, but illogical. :)

*...and with Apple it works significantly better than the competition.