Discovered Image Retention out of warranty

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DeeEss, Oct 24, 2013.

1. DeeEss macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I have a rMBP that doesn't get much use. It's a location workstation, not my main machine. It is now out of warranty by a couple months and it seems it's developed image retention to the point it is really noticeable. I never really noticed it before.

I don't use the computer so much and to be honest the IR doesn't bother me that much that it's there, I'm OK with it and I'll never likely sell the computer either so no need to worry about resale value. Also, it disappears after 5 minutes or so, so again, no biggy - BUT - is likely to get worse or cause any long term damage?

Any ideas? I can't imagine they will replace the screen out of warranty.

2. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

They actually probably will since they always knew about image retention and this is not a wear and tear issue. Btw, where do you live? Because in the UK law states that we get 6 years of coverage for this kind of thing.

3. DeeEss thread starter macrumors 6502a

THanks very much James, that's great to hear. I love in London so very happy to hear that. Could you please point me in the right direction for that info? Where would I find more info about that law?

Thanks,

4. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

It says here under the AppleCare+ product info:
    And the link is here

You will not have to do anything. Just take it into the Apple Store and they will fix it for you...

EU Law is pretty good about this...

5. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

I am not sure.....

read this:
    "however, various factors may impact your eligibility to receive these remedies"

Does it ring any bell to you? Will it be accepted? ...

6. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Image retention is a recognised issue and is not the result of you dropping the item or damaging it in any way. It is a fault of the part, therefore you are covered.

7. ioannis2005gr macrumors 6502

ioannis2005gr

As I've said.

You are correct only If APPLE retailer or service admits it as fault.

Usually, they take it as normal monitor response and they give you some instructions to fix (?) it and reduce (?) the evidence because everybody knows IPS monitors suffer from IR and light bleeding.

In my opinion, LG monitors in APPLE products have to be checked very carefully at APPLE Quality Control centers in China. Otherwise, you (customer) have to replace it later under warranty. This is an acceptable solution but I've heard some customers have replaced their computers multiple times till they found a "good" one....this is ridiculous!

8. DeeEss thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I heard the same thing about multiple tries to fix and not getting anywhere. I read a couple people who had it "fixed" only for the problem to be worse on the replaced monitor.Which is why I have decided to not let it bother me. Not ideal but hey. I will call Apple on Monday anyway and see how it goes.

----------

Ahhh, brilliant thanks so much for this you are a STAR. I'll try it out and see how it goes.