Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
As you see in my sig, I have an iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, and iPhone 4. I also have a parts 2G. The first 2G had the clickiest home button of them all, and the parts 2G button barely clicked. After some experimenting, this is what i discovered:

Tip: BE GENTLE if you try this.

The parts iPhone's home button felt like a piece of rubber was under it, almost no clickiness. I clicked it at the 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions of the home button and found that 11 o'clock position didn't click at all, while the 5 o'clock position clicked the most. I gently pressed and held down the 5 o'clock corner and wiggled the button ever so slightly up, down, side-to-side, and then clockwise, counterclockwise. It took a few times to get it perfect, but eventually it got "seated" correctly and started clicking almost as well as iPhone 2G #1

Then I tried it with the 3G, whose home button always, since 2008, felt mushy compared to the 2G. It took 4 tries, and then started clicking more like the 2G. I do not believe the 3G's button will ever be as clicky as the 2G's; it is a different design. But it is much better.

Then I moved onto the 4. It was already pretty clicky compared to other 4's, but not as clicky as the 2G's. It took 2 tries, and although it is more muted than the 2G's, it now feels as nice as the 2G's does.

For those who don't know, the home buttons are held behind the glass by 2 small plastic tabs. You can break those tabs or crack the glass if you use too much force, so again, BE GENTLE!

Thanks for reading!

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Tried this on a friend's 3GS last night. It came it much better than before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.