Discrepancy in Disk Utility for Available SSD Space

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by mmmtastybusch, Mar 5, 2018.

1. mmmtastybusch macrumors regular

Hey guys!

On a 2015 MBP with i7, 16GB Ram, and 1TB SSD. Running High Sierra 10.13.3

Early last week, I went through About This Mac>Storage>Manage and got rid of a TON of crap that was needlessly taking up space on my Mac's SSD.

It I was able to go from around 168GB of free space to over 600GB.

But now I'm looking in Disk Utility and there's a discrepancy. The blue bar at the top still shows that I only have 168.3 GB available, while all the info at the bottom seems to show the correct number, as far as I can tell.

Is there some kind of cache I need to clear, or is this just some kind of glitch? I've emptied the trash since then, FYI.

I've attached a screenshot.

Attached Files:

2. dianeoforegon macrumors 6502a

dianeoforegon

Your screenshot show 460 GB purgeable. Most likely it's Time Machine snapshots. Have you attached your external drive for Time Machine?

To find all the local timemachine snapshots. Enter this command in the Terminal:

Code:
    tmutil listlocalsnapshots /
    Delete them one by one using

Code:
    tmutil deletelocalsnapshots <snapshot_date>
    Delete all :

Code:
    sudo tmutil thinLocalSnapshots / 10000000000 4

3. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

It is not necessary to manually delete them. The space they considered available by the system, so it will automatically make room, if running low on space, by deleting the oldest snapshots.

4. mmmtastybusch thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting! Should I worry about that data taking up space, or just leave it be? I just switched to a new Time Machine drive but I haven't set it up yet. I just ran that Terminal line and it says I have a backup from the last time Time Machine ran (back in Feb) and one from today, but I haven't had the external drive connected.

5. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

Unless you actually encounter a problem with it, just leave it. It is supposed to work like this.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

My advice (as usual):

TURN OFF Time Machine.
    DELETE any "Snapshots" you find (they EAT UP drive space).
    Try either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper for backups instead.
    Either will serve you far better in "a moment of extreme need" than will TM...