Discrimination in golfing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by eternlgladiator, May 10, 2012.

1. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Kind of funny how the PGA has a double standard about discrimination and now Augusta National gets backed into a corner on one of their own policies.

http://m.espn.go.com/golf/story?storyId=7911680

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nothing new, Augusta's policies have been challenged, debated, ridiculed, vilified, defended, and supported for years now

Every now and again someone raises the flag up the pole once more to make headlines

Will it ever change?
    Meh, who cares?

3. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I don't know why he waited, but he's right. It's time to change.

4. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

They are a private course and can do what they want,

The PGA isn't going to do anything about it because The Masters is a monster cash cow for them.

At this point, I can't imagine why women would want to be members anyways.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm not sure an ultra rich and exclusive golf club letting a few rich women join has any real redeeming value other than in the media where it would be trumpeted as a victory for equal rights for rich women who want to be a member of an exclusive rich golf club

6. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Did you read the article?

----------

Just because it's appealing to less than the majority doesn't make it right?!? Guess what, blacks were the minority when slavery was abolished but they still wanted it. This is about right/wrong not the amount of desire. We live in a country based on equality.

7. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

Yes, which is why I said The Masters is a cash cow and go against what the PGA is for. They are being hypocritical, but people will do anything for money.

8. eternlgladiator thread starter macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

Iits extremely hypocritical and now they look like asshats because they always have the IBM ceo as a member who now happens to be a women. Talk about getting shot in the foot by your own policies.

9. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I agree 100%. But let's face it, that club and it's members are a bunch of fat old white guys who have nothing better to do.

10. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

11. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I will fight for women to be members at Augusta National as soon as I become member.

12. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Listen, Augusta membership is invitation only. And once you are invited, it's around $10,000 a year. It's a private organization.

Arguing about the admissions practices at Augusta is about like arguing about the membership requirements of Skull & Bones, the Illuminati, or the Majestic 12. Sorry folks. You may have an opinion, but you don't get a vote on this one.

And frankly, I don't think I am ever going to be very close to getting invited as a guest, let alone a member...

13. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

I think you missed the subtle sarcasm in the previous post. And I think you missed a 0 there you membership costs.

14. danahn17 macrumors 6502

I'd say he could do that because he probably has more influence now than 30-40 years ago.

And of all the millionaires/billionaires out there... Warren Buffett is the last person I'd say is "living it up." I mean, he still lives in the house that he bought in 1957!

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The first firm I worked with after law school had a partner who played Augusta several times a year with one of our clients. He had a scorecard with a hole-in-one on one the par 3s on the back nine. Paul Azinger was in the group in front of theirs, and came back to sign his card as a witness to the shot. I noticed the scorecard during my interview, and abruptly changed the subject from school to Augusta. Probably wasn't very professional, but it was Augusta!

16. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Why, are you LGBT? :p

:D

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

No, I'm just not a member of Augusta National.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I wish I could afford such dreams. ;)

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I don't really care if they are members as long as they tee off from the designated areas like everyone else. I always find it funny we get to the equality bit but then have women tee boxes. Equal but special treatment. In fact let's get rid of the lpga and just have a pga tour where everyone competes equally.

20. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

But god made Men stronger than Women, so they could dominate them. :confused:

21. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

That's cheaper than most country clubs around me.

22. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

PGA aside, is the problem that women are not admitted to a private club? Should women's only institutions also receive criticism?

23. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Augusta National is a private, member organization.

The PGA is a private, member organization.

They are not obligated to admit anyone....

Nothing to see here. Move along.

24. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

We just need bigger thumb-screws. ;)

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

... that counts heavily on sponsors and public support.

This "private, member organization" has a every reason to be concerned about public opinion.

And the public has ample reason to be concerned about how the PGA conducts its business.

Just an FYI ... I'm a long-time golfer, a lover of the game, and a fan of the PGA.