Discussion of Theism, Atheism, Evolution, and Other Interesting Topics.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by appleguy123, Sep 23, 2010.

?

Does the pope have more blind than 50cent?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Formerly "How Do I Come-Out as an Atheist to my Friends and Family?"
    Long story short: I used to be a Christian, but now am an Atheist. I'm 16, and have stopped going to my youth group shortly after the transition, but most of my friends (by earlier choice), family, and people around me are rather Extreme-Theists(America, what do you expect?).
    I would normally just keep all of this quiet until I'm out of the house, but for some reason(really it all came on quite suddenly after my conversion) I now entirely hate all religion, and think that its logic-destroying myths are the ruination of people's lives. I keep making little freudian slips (referring to Atheists as 'we' rather than 'they and other things) that will get me into hot water if I can't just come out with it now.
    I also feel that I need to come out as an Atheist, because pretending to be a Theist still is strangling my intellectual freedom.
    How do I come out with my entire social circle being radical Christians?
    Also, why do you think that Atheists are so hated in America? This has got to be worse than being homosexual.

2. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Uhhhm you could choose to not come out?

For me Atheism isn't really a "thing" that I am, anymore than not "believing" in Harry Potter is a thing that I am.

If you make a big deal out of being an Atheist in a weird way your just showing how much you think about god and religion.

EDIT: Though I spend almost zero time hanging around religious people (they drive me a little crazy as well). Coming out to them wont change a thing they're locked into their set of beliefs fairly hard. Nothing logical keeps Christians believing so nothing logical you say will make them stop...

3. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I do think about God and religion a lot, I think that it is the single most important question in our universe, and until it is answered, fully, myriads of people will continue to devote their lives to idealistic fairytales.
    I don't think that you quite understand my plight. Literately everyone I know and associate myself with is an extreme theist. I guess that it's partial to my area. My Biology (my favorite subject when done correctly) absolutely refuses to teach the Theory of Evolution and basically calls me an idiot(he says people that believe it are idiots, knowing full and well that I believe it).
    If I don't come out, I will continue to be conceived as part of their mind-numbing society and beliefs. I can't allow that anymore.
    I'm not looking for a fight, I just want to make my boundaries clear without upsetting anyone(or losing friends), after all, it was I who changed, not them.

4. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

That's scary. What area do you live in?

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

See, I'm in this camp... and I am an atheist.

If you come out, guns-ablazin', religion is a mental illness, etc... you'll just turn your family and friends against you.

Instead you should act a little lost and confused, questioning life and your faith... and it won't be so threatening. The tortured soul thing might even work on some of the girls.

Then when you go off to college you can totally reinvent yourself (so long as you don't chose Oral Roberts) and your parents will blame it all on the influence of liberal professors.

It's a win-win.

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Say to them "I have an important announcement, I'm Gay!!".

<pause>

Then say "Only joking, I'm not Gay, just an Atheist." :p

7. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

In the more rural areas near St. Louis, Missouri.
    It scares me a little bit too. When I asked him why we weren't taught it, all the students began bombarding me with blatant misconceptions about Evolution (if we evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?). I used that evidence to show him why Evolution needed to be taught ( so at the very least, students wouldn't go out of high school with that great a misconception on one of the fundamental tenants of Biology), and we only replied that we don't need to know evolution and it is so errant that it needn't even be given the credit of being taught.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Here we go again, injecting the gay agenda into something that has nothing to do with it, its about religion not sexual preference.:rolleyes: Instead say nothing, the religious types want you to live in a box of fairy tales and ancient storys and please send us your cash. Scientific proof, method and evidence thank you...no spin no ******** religions.

9. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

I don't know about your "situation" but in general (in America as well) more educated ppl tend to be less religious. As you get older and if you become more educated you will be more surrounded by more ppl of various religions besides "Christain" as well as "Aethiests". If you are generally surrounded by "working class" ppl for example, you tend to befriend more zealots. As you move up the social ladder, there tends to be more tolerance as well as unbelivers because educated ppl are exposed to more choices of life as well as educated ppl have to work more with "non-traditional Americans" (Who as you've noticed consist of a lot of hard-core Christians). I'm not saying that all Christians are Hill-Billies and vice versa, but just statistically speaking.

10. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Honestly, I think that, at least in my area, Atheists are more hated than gays.
    I was feeling the water with some of my friends, when I asked if Atheists had churches, and I swear that they told me that Atheists were all possessed by Satan. One one hand it makes me laugh, on the other it makes me sad for the plight of the world.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Tell em when Jesus comes back you will switch but in the meantime im using science and fact.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I was afraid that might be the case. :(

I think you should stay in the closet, as has already been suggested.

If the topic of conversation in your social group turns to religions, and it obviously will given their pre-occupation with the subject, just excuse yourself.

"I have to wash my hair/study/call my girlfriend/etc.

Just change the timing of these excuses, lest they suspect independent thought. :eek:

Don't wanna be stoned, before you can legally be stoned. :D

13. 184550 Guest

The hostile attitude you've taken will not help. That much is certain.

14. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

your biology teacher refuses to teach evolution? :eek::eek::eek:
    some teacher...:(
    is this even legal? (let alone being the most self-contradictory position I ever heard of)
    if one of my kid's teacher tried to pull a stunt like that i'd go beserk. is this a public school?

and he claims that all scientists are idiots? that's actually quite funny coming from someone who is supposed to be teaching science :) (well it would be if it wasn't so sad)

just be yourself, don't force the issue, but if it does come out just tell them that just like you stopped believing in Santa when you were a kid, you now stopped believing in their version of God. It is your decision and they should just respect that.

15. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

The people where you are seem nuts. I'm a Christian, and I would feel very, very uncomfortable around them, judging from what you've told us here.

Not teaching evolution? Saying atheists are possessed by satan? Really? :(

16. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The good thing is you can come to PRSI and openly discuss evolution and religion . . . until you graduate and get the hell out of 'Deliverance' territory.

17. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

I hope that this is a joke. I feel that I have been completely rational up to this point. They are the hostile ones, unable to accept those different from themselves.

I actually want to stay in the closet about this issue, but I can't( multiple freudian slips every time I speak of religion). I guess I might be slightly bitter, towards religion at this point mainly due to the fact that it has eaten up most of my life thus far. Now, having renounced faith, I feel free and happy (like jump for joy or out of prison happy, really), and it's really hard to hide.

I guess I will try to stay hidden on this issue until I get into college, but it is truly hard ( in Christianity, they said that you should be so happy in your religion that you should share it with everyone, I fell this way about Atheism and intellectual thinking) to do so.

Also, is my Advanced Biology teacher under any legal obligation to teach evolution as part of the class? After all, Biology is defined as:
    Emphases mine.

This is a public school. He says that the state will let him teach whatever he wants in Biology. I think that he's a cool person, too, but this is insane. He also says that he would not believe in Evolution regardless of any proof in the form of hard evidence that may show up (some scientist, hey?).
    Really, that may be part of the reason that I'm so happy to be free. They also believe that homosexuals and adulterers should be put to death.
    Yes, the PRSI made me really that being an Atheist really is an option, so I researched the topic (read "The God Delusion", "On the Origins of Species," and "The Greatest show on Earth") and found that Atheism is a very logical position and that there were others like me( This may seem obvious, but it really wasn't. I really thought that everyone had to be a Theist of some sort or were crazy.).

18. 184550 Guest

Look at the bolded portions.

Certainly seems far from respectful, in fact, some might call the bolded portions insults. The way you treat their beliefs will affect the way they treat yours.

19. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Then they are no Christians.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It doesn't need to be totally hidden.

Play the tortured soul... the confused teen... the lost child.

You're sixteen. You're supposed to be filled with angst.

Have a little fun with it.

21. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

if it is a public school, it is an issue.
    If you were my kid, this is one thing i would go to 'war' with the system over, but in your position, just let it slide.
    it's the right fight, but it shouldn't be YOUR fight, not at the cost of your family and friends.

it might sound harsh, but this guy is a moron, just ignore him (and i refuse to believe he is teaching 'advanced' biology: there is nothing in modern biology that makes any sense out of the frame of evolution. nothing).
    You seem to be able to hold your own, who i really feel sorry for is your classmates who are fed this BS and believe it (but how many of them are in your same position? this the internet era after all, information is just out there)

i hope you are going to college. if so it's just two years away.
    study hard. get to the best school you can get to and be free. :)

and get a phD in genetics: you'll never regret it ;)

22. appleguy123 thread starter macrumors 603

appleguy123

Sorry, where I'm from, these really aren't considered insults (apart from the ruining of lives and fairytales). Christians where are live are actually proud to say that they don't subscribe to logic, and will believe what their book tells them no matter what.
    Maybe the moral zeitgeist is different where you are, but most of the bolded portions really would be considered compliments to the religiously indoctrinated area in which I live.

23. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

The best point I can come with is this one:

"Do you love/like me for what I am, or only for my beliefs? Are my personnality, character, and way of behaving less important than the things I believe are true?"

In the same time it is hard to figure out how I would announce this myself since almost no one I know is religious.

24. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

This. Best advice in this thread.

Wow. :eek:

25. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

In all honesty, I believe you can sue the school district for this.