Disgracing the military

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Oct 1, 2007.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

First it was Rush and his "phony soldiers comment", now this guy, Col. David Hunt, outright says (on Fox news of all places) that:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,298203,00.html

Now, if you read the piece, you kinda get part of his point (kinda, don't completely agree with all of it). While the troops who really are doing not so good things need to be investigated, if nothing else that because they're making the rest of the troops (and us) look bad, some of the soldiers are being thrown under the bus by the same people who are giving the orders. The problem, of course, is that like Rush, he's doing the same thing they were trying to criticize Moveon for. He actually even says in his Q&A:

So, like Rush, is it only ok for the Republicans to criticize the troops? The party of "support the troops"? Do they not know that we see things like Walter Reed and lack of equipment and realize when they say "support the troops" they actually mean "support the war"? Do they not realize when we see this type of thing, when they make a big deal of something to attempt to distract us, then do the same thing, it makes them look like hypocrites? Where are the Politicians and talking heads calling for them to apologize, calling for bills to call this disgraceful?

But hey, at least unlike Rush, this guy actually served in the military. :rolleyes:

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Apparently there was a resolution introduced in the HoR to condemn Rush Limbaugh for his remarks.

Wanna bet that many of the supporters of the "we hate MoveOn.org" bill will be nowhere to be found on this one?

3. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Rush sure debunked that myth quickly. Check out the background on the ONE specific soldier he was talking about and you'll soon see what a fool Reid made of himself.

5. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Was wondering when you'd chime in with this nonsense. Read the whole quote. He wasn't talking about that one guy. He said soldierS. And he was clearly calling those who disagree with the war phony soldiers. He re-iterated what he actually meant when he later mentioned Murtha, who also wasn't a fake soldier. He lame attempt to back track and rewrite history may work on people like you, but not on the rest of us who are actually paying attention.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200709270010?src=item200709270010

Read the whole thing for more. I'm sure you're still going to tell me that we're just taking it out of context, that he's talking about something else he didn't bring up until afterwards. Just like O'Reilly wasn't being a racist. And then you'll say that Kerry wasn't calling Bush stupid, he was insulting the troops. Ok. :rolleyes:

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Well, that ONE soldier wasn't the ONLY one, but if you would address that ONE soldier's background, I might be interested.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

So then I should consider all the soldiers I know to be phony? I'm sick of this s***! Swarmlord, if you had an ounce of integrity, you'd be all over Limbaugh for this. Phony soldiers? What an a**! This is the same piece of crap that sends his maid out to buy drugs for him. He's got a lot of nerve.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So you're arguing that MoveOn.org didn't, in fact, attact the military at large, since they were only refering to one particular soldier?

9. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Hypocrisy at it's finest

Well, I wasn't actually talking about him. I doubt anyone would defend him. But then Rush wasn't really talking about him either. Nice to not touch up on any of my points. Again. Perhaps you missed the exchange with another caller prior to that:

I suppose he was talking about the other guy there too. :rolleyes: Nice try, it ain't flying. Here's more:

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2007/10/2/143649/962

Nice backhanded compliment, while still calling him not only being used and deluded, but comparing him to a suicide bomber. I suppose you only see the hero part, right? Everything else is excusable because of it? Is what he's said about Murtha and Kerry still ok? I like the response by the soldier, and can't wait to see your spin on him digging his grave even further:

Oops. Look at how he was injured. Maybe Rush should have the soldier on his show like he's been asking to. Wondering why he doesn't want to, if he has nothing to defend.

Of course they did, because they're Dems. Just like when Kerry (a former soldier himself) was obviously calling Bush stupid he must have meant the "rest" of the troops as well, even though that doesn't make any sense to anyone who doesn't think all liberals hate the troops and hate America. Or when Murtha (also a former soldier) criticized those few he felt were making the rest of the soldiers look bad by their behavior, he was calling all soldiers evil. Again, even though that doesn't make any sense. Rush however, who constantly calls people he disagrees with unAmerican and troop haters, said the previous caller couldn't be a Republican and alluded to him not being a real soldier, regularly criticizes others who are or were soldiers (even though he himself never was), and says those who criticize the war must all be fake soldiers LIKE Jesse MacBeth, later alluding to the fact that a soldier who actually was injured by a suicide bomber was just like one. All after going nuts over an ad that criticizes 1 General. Ignoring all of the other current and former Generals he and his ilk have criticized if they disagree with them.

Oh, and these people, who just happen to also be conservatives that no one is using to distract from how bad the war is going:

Conservative Magazine Hits Petraeus As 'Sycophant'

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I do not care what Rush says but I do care about Congressmen and women going on the floor and criticizing a private citizen (the term so many have used).

11. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Uh, they're only doing this to as retribution for the Moveon thing. Of course it's ridiculous and a waste of time, but it puts those who criticized Moveon on the record, making those who are ok with what Rush said but are still mad at liberals for doing something they claim is similar look like hypocrites. Criticizing Moveon, and others, was one thing, but trying to distract from the real issues affecting us by taking time out to vote to criticize them is another. And not doing the same to the conservatives who do it too (as noted above) or doing something similar, as Rush has, is the only point being made here.

Do you also have a problem with those who took time out to go to the floor and criticize Moveon, or was that ok?

12. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I personally have an issue with both the moveon.org criticisms as well as the Rush criticisms. They are both simply lame attempts to get media attention to show how much these congressmen support our troops (verbally) and how the opposing side hates our nation. It irritates me that they would even waste their time and ours to do such useless activities. Everyone already knows that the GOP hates moveon and that the Dems hate Rush. It is not like these guys don't have better thing to do. I wish our representatives were above such bickering.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't we all.

It is, however, illustrative to note which condemnation actually passed...

14. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

I agree actually. I didn't like the Moveon thing, but of course they had the right to say it. Just as Rush did. I didn't want them wasting their time on my tax dollars making ridiculous resolutions against it. The only reason I think the Rush thing is worth the time (though barely, since we all knew what would happen) is as a reaction to the Moveon thing, pointing out how ridiculous it was to make such a big deal over it and as I said, to point out the hypocrisy. Especially considering all of the others I posted, many of them conservative, doing the same type of thing with no consequences.

I'm still wondering if those who think this is so ridiculous also thought the retribution against Moveon was as ridiculous, which is the point.