Disgusting mass execution in Saudi should lead to regime collapse

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, Jan 2, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The vicious subhuman Saudi animals conducted a mass beheading of 47 Shi'a clerics and other opponents of the fascist regime. The House of Saud are as anathema to all things humane and civilized. Their extermination is overdue.

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Be careful what you wish for.

Not to excuse, in any way possible, the public beheadings of forty seven individuals. An act that, in the 21st century, truly ranks as barbaric.

But the reality is that the Saudi monarchy is unlikely to collapse as a result. There may be rumblings of discontent within the Kingdom. But such sentiments are largely restricted to the relatively tiny class of educated women, who have little power; and the vast class of expatriate guest workers - who have even less.

One also needs to ask who or what would legitimately replace the House of Saud as rulers of the the Arabian peninsula. To say nothing of its immense (and all-but irreplaceable) oil reserves and the most extensive collection of military hardware in the Middle East.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Obama did not care when he took on Libya and deposed kaddafy duck. He also does not care as long as he can remove Assad

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And horrendous violence is an all too common human endeavor.

It isn't subhuman at all. It's very much like something we'd do.

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Is Saudi Arabia falls the middle east will turn into an all out killing field. They are the only glue holding what little stability their is in that region.

6. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Ah but you forget, they are a staunch US military hardware customer, OPEC member and friends of the political elite in Washington.

If US foreign policy was anything to do with freedom, democracy, human rights, etc. Saudi Arabia would have been invaded decades ago.

But its not.

Now, remember: Putin is the bogeyman!

7. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

This was because Gaddafi was selling oil in non-US dollars. As was Saddam shortly before the invasion. And Iran. And Syria.

This is all about US petrodollar hegemony. If people start selling oil in non-US currency, the US dollar will collapse.

The whole "freedom" and human rights and "democracy" BS is just a cover for the above.

Saudi Arabia is a glaring example of just how much human rights do not matter at all.

You know what other country has capital punishment? The USA.

8. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

The liberals gobble up that human rights BS , Obama can do no wrong

9. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

Regime change in Saudi Arabia would be a catastrophe.

10. throAU, Jan 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2016

throAU macrumors 601

throAU

This is not a partisan problem in the US government. Either side will (and has, since WW2 - and prior) do basically the exact same thing, because they're all just puppets.

It doesn't really matter who you elect - they're in someone's pocket. Unfortunately the political system in the US (and here in Australia, don't get me wrong) is pretty broken. You have the illusion of choice, and this may affect the outcome on issues that don't really change anything.

But the big ticket items will run their course irrespective of which of the major parties is in power. Because to even be a contender, you need to be funded. And the people with the funds have vested interests that do not align with most of the people.

edit:
    the last US president to actually question any of this and/or try to make changes was Kennedy, and we all know how that panned out.

11. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Naw, the Saud family aren't much different than the Kim family in North Korea: they're both hereditary gangsters. Their respective nations are resilient and would adapt to new governments.

12. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

Saudi Arabia and Turkey seem to be in a competition to determine who can be the worst American ally. Pakistan is up there as well.

13. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

Is that why most of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudis (like 18 out of 20 of them IIRC), Osama was Saudi, etc.?

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'm not sure that SA is the glue that holds the ME together. I don't see much togetherness in the ME currently nor do I see the Saudis doing anything overt to keep peace.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Killing Shia sure isn't going to help.

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

The Saudi power structure is intrinsically founded upon a familial; religious; and tribal alliance between the house of Saud and that of al-Wahhab. (This goes back to the 18th century, so its difficult to pin the blame too tightly on recent US or British politicians.) The Wahhabis are fundamentalist promoters of Sunni interests, and are thus at odds with the millions of Shia adherents in the region: primarily those of Iran, but also in countries such as Iraq and Syria.

The Shia-Sunni schism is, in many ways, the issue that underlies much of current Middle East turmoil. It is the driving force behind much of ISIL; it is the main area of conflict between Saudi Arabia and Iran; and it shows up in countries such as Yemen. There is also very little indeed any US President; or coalition of European countries; can do to about it. That is something that has to come from within Islam itself. We tend to forget that Western Europe endured almost six hundred years of widespread warfare; genocide; and terror as a result of the split that arose between Protestantism (in its various forms) and the Catholic Church. And so we should not be too surprised that Islam is undergoing its own struggles as the two sects grapple for power and influence.

Not mentioned in this thread is the violent protests that broke out in Iran to the execution of the Shia cleric in Saudi Arabia. I'd be curious to hear the opinion of Donald Trump and Ted Cruz to those events. Somehow I don't think the sort of nuanced understanding of the complicated forces at work fit easily onto one of The Donald's trucker hats.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And they sit on the UN Human Rights Council.

18. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Saudi Arabia announced they ended diplomatic relations with Iran.

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What should Obama do?

I think that means Iran has won this diplomatic battle as they look like the reasonable one.

I was expected Iran to cut theirs and thought the story was wrong at first.

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

If by "leadership" you mean threatening to bomb; missile strike; or just plain nuke someone - precisely who do you mean in this case?

The Saudis for unjustly (and barbarically) beheading people, including a Shia cleric who most likely had nothing to do with terrorism? Or Iran, for breaking diplomatic relations with Saudi Arabia, for committing this horrendous act?

I really lose patience with people who conclude every bad thing that happens in the world is evidence of President Obama's "lack of leadership."

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Iran hasn't broken ties. Saudi has.

23. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Straw man. Nobody blamed Obama for Saudi executions.

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

25. Huntn, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I agree barbaric, the flip side, is when a Middle East dictatorship is overthrown, don't be surprised if you end up with a group of people in charge who want to create a world wide caliphate. Last I heard, that's still not decided in Siria, Egypt, and Iraq.